ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

iPhone controller for poor man

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 11:49 AM
lej1447
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone controller for poor man

I got a new iPhone for dirt cheap, $170. I bought from Apple. Went to a store for the guy to activate, which I can do at home too BTW. When the store activated it, the guy gave me a new free phone as a gift b/c he practically got the commission for new line activation. I sold that new one for $80 and sold my old Pocket PC cell phone for $150. Net is $170, excluding tax.

I finally got a 10" am installed and new front speakers on dash. In the dash are 3.5" Fosgate. Yeah, big hole for big drop of the magnet behind the speaker, but still need to use the plier to make bigger clearance for this 3.5" fosage as the stock was about 2.5".

Surprisingly, the stock amp can drive the speakers really well. The sub adds warmth to it. Unfortunately, my stock amp now makes my tweeter bursted. So I have to get new tweeter. I still like the front speakers very much. Looking into replacing stock amp, which has small clearance BTW.

Looking into replacing seats, but not sure how to do it yet. I can install new track from 3rd G, but it not easy b/c I want to get a whole matching set b4 I can install. Really like the look of the 3rd G, but rears may not fit. Any advice?

Really like the wood on the steering wheel from 2001 coach edition, but not sure if such generation would fit. Any advice.

Any how, back to the iPhone. I've seen people spending crazy money on iTune gift cards. For me, I just went to YouTube and download latest music videos for free. For example, if you were to get Mariah Carey's latest song Touch My Body, it would cost u $0.99 for a song. But that is only audio.

Why not get audio and video for free? That's what I did. I have about 200 songs so far, which is about $200 in iTune. The cool thing about uTube, I can search for remix or extended mixes or really old songs. Not sure how to do it in iTune, but don't plan to find out.

So far, the iphone has made me burst many speakers. I had to replace the two rears due to the song Last Night by P Diddy and Cole. Got those replaced, but lack of bass. Crank the bass, burst the fronts on dash and tweeters near windows. Put the subwoofer in, and now I need to address the tweeters. Having crazy thought about adding an amp, but there are so much plans for the old ES as far as steering wheel, seat replacements, and many others that amps can go in last for now, unless I burst that one too.

Love the cassette player. :> ) I think that I am the few one left w/ the stock cassette player. I have not used that for a long. I hate the blue tooth and FM transmitter. The Belkin has a booster and charger with mounting swivel. I need all such features. I used the mono-to-stereo on ipod to help boost the signal for the cassette adapter. The result is good bass, hence, slowly bursting most of my speakers.

Here are the pix. If any one has any advice on seat and steering wheel replacment, please chime in. I rather go for that first than to replace the HU w/ iphone connection.
Attached Thumbnails iPhone controller for poor man-iphone01.jpg  
Old 05-03-08, 11:52 AM
lej1447
Driver

Yes, it's from the Mariah's Touch My Body music video, and it's not ****.
Moderator, do not delete this thread.
Attached Thumbnails iPhone controller for poor man-iphone02.jpg  
Old 05-03-08, 11:54 AM
lej1447
Driver

Last pix -- Belkin Swivel and Umbrella House Remix.
Attached Thumbnails iPhone controller for poor man-iphone03.jpg  
Old 05-06-08, 09:42 PM
lej1447
Driver

Belkin kit is about $60 from Costco. It is the FM transmitter w/ booster, automatic detection, digital display, extra electrical charger, USB cord for charger or sync, and may be few other things which I don't remember. If I were in diff. vehicle w/o the cassette player, I use the Belkin FM transmitter.

However, I prefer the cassette adapter over FM transmitter any day. Since the iPhone is new, there are few HU w/ touch screen to control the iPhone currently, and they cost about $400 or more.

If I were to use go for HU w/ USB connection for iphone, I still need a car charger for iphone since videos will deplete battery quickly. I won't be able to utilize my "music video juke box." Hence, I've decided to go w/ the Belkin kit for now.

Cassette adapter and mono-to-stereo iphone connection is about $7 and $5, respectively.