ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Reached my limit with my ES!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 09:14 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$650? Big ****in' deal. Fix the car and call it a day. You bought a 1993 Lexus. You have to pay to play.
Old 05-21-08, 06:02 AM
byf43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
a CO test doesn't say both headgaskets are leaking

and why was it overheating all those times... which caused at least one head gasket to become damaged/head/block to warp. seems weird that you didn't have the head gasket(s) check at the very first instance of overheating. the timing belt and 02 sensors are routine maintenace.
you really should have spent under 1000 in parts and labor for the head gasket job alone. which is fair when a fool drives a car to the point of it overheating when the radiator breaks.
Well, as to being a 'fool' that drives a car to the point of overheating, you got the wrong person, if you believe that I am a fool.
I've been driving for over 3-1/2 decades and have a habit of watching gauges (instrumentation) as much as I watch the road.
As for when my sister owned the car. . . . "fool" is too kind. I'd call her an idiot, personally.
The engine never reached the 'overheating' point, with me. The temperature gauge on this particular es300 does not show actual temperatures (as you probably know). It only has a few 'hash marks' and a 'red' area near the "Hot" mark.
Since I've had the car, it has not reached that point.
When my sister had the car. . . . anything is possible.
When I had the car repaired in July, all was well. No symptoms of overheating until recently.
The temperature gauge was climbing each time, but never got "Hot".

As for my comments about 'tests' -
Technician runs test on FRESH coolant.
CARBON MONOXIDE traces in coolant.
Test shows Blown Head Gaskets.
I wrote that quickly. That should have been written that the test showed 'A' blown head gasket.
The technician took photos of the engine and head gaskets and block 'before and after' cleaning and both head gaskets were bad. (At each cylinder, too!)
I have the photos.

As for the replacement of the other items, the timing belt had been replaced at 60,000 miles. The repair shop offered to replace that, without any reservations.
The repair shop also replaced (free of charge) all of the parts listed with the exception of the water pump. I requested that. I did pay $141.00 (which I could have gotten for less, elsewhere), but, the installation was at no charge, so. . . .

I had been concerned about the head gaskets since I got the car. On a couple of other forums, I've read that (especially) the '92-'96 es300s have head gasket problems.

So, with that said, the only other cooling system issues that I anticipate in the next few years is the heater core.
And from what I've read, even Forrest Gump could replace that on the es.

Still, for what I have paid sofar, that '93 es300 was very inexpensive. For a 'freebie' $3,700.00 or so, is cheap.
Old 05-21-08, 08:07 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well you now sound more knowledgeable.

still, you seemed to spend a lot. also, the engine is NOT known for head gasket problems. maybe the 3vz is but the 3vz-fe is not [well only if it overheats]
Old 05-22-08, 01:13 AM
ckh1272
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sonyman
$650? Big ****in' deal. Fix the car and call it a day. You bought a 1993 Lexus. You have to pay to play.
I think you miss the point of my gripe sonyman. In hindsight, I should have checked all of the lights in the dash and made a better decision based on that. Having said that, I feel that dealer should have also known about it. It is his business after all to know these things. My issue was that the light was obviously taken out to cover up a $600.00 problem, so it is a big ************ deal in that respect. Anyway, I did talk to the dealer the other day and he offered to split the cost of the fix in half. It seems fair at this point, since the burden of proof would be on me to prove the missing bulb. The dealer is a small lot (buy here-pay here type), so I didn't expect him to wipe my a** for me, but I do expect him to be fair. I've been in sales to long to know that deliberately screwing a customer is a bad idea!! I think everything will work out, once this is solved. After that, anything that needs replacing is truly on me to take care of. I do appreciate the advice and support from all of you!!
Old 05-22-08, 08:11 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

ckh1272, buying a car is an emotional decision for most people. When emotions kick in, the rational part of the brain is pretty much disengaged. So don't be hard on yourself. I would recommend you strike the idea that the used car dealer is at all emotionally involved with the car you are buying or interested in finding or knowing "problems." Once you remove the idea that the dealer is going to do due diligance on the car, then you do the best you can to narrow the field and then pay a mechanic who is interested in "finding problems" because "problems" are a source of revenue for him.
Old 05-22-08, 10:22 AM
byf43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
well you now sound more knowledgeable.

still, you seemed to spend a lot. also, the engine is NOT known for head gasket problems. maybe the 3vz is but the 3vz-fe is not [well only if it overheats]
Gee, thanks, professor.

As for spending a lot. I agree. But, since this is the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area, we basically have to pay the prevailing (parts and labor) rates, or walk.

Lastly, and not be arguementive, but, the majority of people that I have talked to (including mechanics/technicians) that have experience with the '92-'96 es model have had problems or issues with the cooling system and head gaskets.

I'm not aware of your mechanical knowledge or background, but, I've turned wrenches ('shadetree') for many, many years.

Have a good weekend.

I'm out.

Last edited by byf43; 05-22-08 at 10:37 AM.