ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help Please!!!! Code Interpretation

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 06:11 PM
cocora64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!!!! Code Interpretation

CODES ARE: P0171,P1130, P1135, P1150, P1155. PLEASE REPLY OR E-MAIL ME AT, TATAYAJAVIER@HOTMAIL.COM
Old 05-19-08, 06:48 PM
jimmyjay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0171:
injector blockage
dirty air filter (that is a big one)
dirty PVC filter
IACV blockage
gas cap
Exhaust pipe leak (right around the manifolds off the engine block, usually a hairline crack can be seen

P1130:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=P1130

P1155:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=P1155

There, I did most of your work for you. Search is your friend.
Old 05-20-08, 09:11 AM
cocora64
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much, you gave me other things to look at. I am also taking my car to a shop with a little more advanced scanner to see if i have problems with any of my coils. please stay in touch , i greatly appreciate all the help. javier
Old 08-08-08, 05:16 PM
Geoffkim
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Engine and O2 sensor codes

I have always used the internet to help me save money and solve problems. I decided to sit down and describe the replacement of my O2 sensor so that I may help others solve a problem and save money. To “Give Back”.

Auto Lexus ES300 year 2000, V6
Codes I had in P0125, P1130, P1135
Web search indicated Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor. This is the one next to the firewall

Major Parts and tools needed:
Denso O2 sensor - $170 https://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1387065 (2 before cats (same part No), 1 After Cat). This is an OEM sensor and the connector is an exact match. An exact match connector will save you from big headaches. Bosh sensor at autozone was $200 and It may have an exact match connector but I do not know for sure. Special order Denso at autzone was over $300. For this job do yourself a favor and buy the Denso sensor from the link above. Wait business 4 days and it will show up in your mail box.
O2 Sensor Socket - $10 (any auto store)
Hose clamp (Optional but recommended) This adds support to split socket and small socket wrench with 12” extension
Extension to socket (Socket + Extension must be ~ 4.5 to 4.75 inches in length due to tight spot
Breaker bar (preferred) or strong socket wrench with handle extension
Penetrating oil
Car Ramps

The job: 2 to 4 hours. This O2 sensor is next to the firewall on the ES300 and is hard to reach. This job is all about finding the room to apply enough torque to the 02 sensor to break it free. You are working on your back under the car to do this. If you are OK with that then read on. The two other 02 sensors look much easier to replace.

Instructions
1) Ramp the car
2) Disconnect the battery (I forgot to do this. it is a good safety item especially if there is a remote starter on the car)
3) Spray down the 02 sensor with penetrating oil. It is best to give this some time to set in
4) (Optional but recommended) Under the car, put the hose clamp over the wire and catch the clamp before installing the socket. It is easier now than doing it with the socket in place.
5) Fit the split 02 sensor socket over the O2 senor. I did not disconnect the electrical connection in case the O2 sensor was seized in the manifold. I wanted to break the sensor free first.
6) Put the hose clamp over the lower end of the O2 socket and tighten well. I got this tip off the web and thought it was prudent. These sensors can be very tight. The split socket 02 socket is not very ridged. If you round over the sensor nut, you are definitely screwed on this job. You might as well bring it into the shop and pay the big bucks. The socket is long enough to add 2 hose clamps if you need greater strength.
7) The trick here was to get the correct extension length (socket + extension). In the ES300 I had to have approximately 4.5 inches (4.75 would have been better). My sensor socket had a hex head so I made up the 4.5 inches by putting another socket on top of the O2 socket otherwise my normal extensions were either too long or too short.
8) Just break the sensor free from its seat and breathe a sigh of relief. Once the sensor breaks free you can feel better about the rest of the job but not too good.
9) Now it is time to disconnect the electrical connection. This is tough to do but not impossible. Climb up into the engine compartment – Right knee will be on the battery, left knee will be near on the engine cover or top of radiator. You can throw some rags or padding down to add some knee comfort here. Reach with the right hand around the throttle body to reach the connector. Pull the connector away from its mount by pulling down and then towards you.
10) Now you can use two hands - reach with the left hand between the intake manifold and the engine. right hand is pulling on the wires below the connector. left hand is pushing on the release clip on the upper connector and holding the upper connector. Hopefully this game of twister ends soon with the connector disconnected.
11) Now back under the car with new 02 sensor and anti-seize compound.
12) Unscrew and remove the old sensor.
13) Apply the anti-seize on the threads only and hand tighten new O2 sensor as much as possible
14) Use the O2 socket without the hose clamp to tighten the new O2 sensor. The sensor does not have to be very tight. It has a crush gasket like the older spark plugs. Do not damage that $170 dollar sensor. They will not take it back.
15) Push the connector up to a location you can reach it from the top of the car
16) Now back to the engine compartment for a new game of twister. Use the two hand technique described above to connect the ends of the electrical connector.
17) Put the connector back on its mount. Here is where you test your one hand dexterity and your sense of touch. With your right hand only you need put the connector back on to the connector mount. It has to start below the mount and slide up. There is no good way to describe this. just look at the connector and you will see how it slides into its mount. You also could use a tie-wrap instead. It took me about 5 minutes of fooling around to get it back on its mount. It was a long arm stretch and I left a little bit of skin back there.
18) You can smile now. All the hard stuff is done. Connect the battery. I had to use my code reader to reset my codes. If I disconnected the battery they should have been reset already.
19) Started car and had minor smoking from penetrating oil. So far the check engine light is off.

Last edited by Geoffkim; 08-08-08 at 06:02 PM.