ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

94 vs 95 es300 fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 04:37 AM
tdi_twist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 vs 95 es300 fuel economy

Newbie question on fuel economy.

Every resource I can find indicates that the 94 and 95 ES300 use the same engine (1MZ-FE). However, the 1994 model is listed having city/hwy mileage of 16/22, but the 1995 model lists as 18/26 mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...s_ES_300.shtml

The only difference I can find is the 1995 has a different intake according to
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...es-250-300.htm

Is this a mistake in a database somewhere or is there really a difference in the mileage?

>
Old 05-30-08, 10:14 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16/22 is totally erroneous
Old 05-30-08, 10:16 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

wait, holy ****ing ****, they updated the old MPG stats to make them comparable to the 'revised' way they report MPG estimates! so now you can compare the info without doing the calculation yourself!
rofl

16/22 for mine

but they also say 2.9L engine which is retarded
Old 05-30-08, 10:27 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

'88 honda civic crx hf 5speed is still king in my opinion
Old 05-30-08, 10:29 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

well 2995 CC is technically in fact 2.9L and not 3.0L, modify the cylinders some more to get 3000 CC for a true 3.0L engine, some people round up the higher some people say it for what it is... my windom says 2.5L but it really just a 2498CC engine. so it can be called a 2.4L or a 2.5L engine. just my 2c
Old 05-31-08, 05:54 AM
tdi_twist
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies.

I should also note that the 94 and 95 Camry V6 have a similar discrepancy. Does anyone have any evidence to support or refute this?

-
Old 05-31-08, 08:38 AM
rtk7
Pole Position

my 1995 says 20/28 and its pretty acurate even tho i need a tune up
Old 05-31-08, 04:35 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

discrepancy -- the EPA probably made a mistake. Is this a surprise?

other person, look, you don't know how to round. basically, it works like this: you go up if it's 5 or higher. so 2995 is rounded up to 3000, not 2990 nor 2900.

In conclusion, I suspect you work for the EPA for you both have a lot to learn. ;-) haha peace peace not trying to attack you. actually, you/your car are interesting -- you have a 4vz-fe engine!! that's neat. and horribly slow, and I suspect terrible gas mileage too. but I digress. I wonder, do you have automatic or manual, and are either the same as the USDM?
Old 05-31-08, 05:27 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
discrepancy -- the EPA probably made a mistake. Is this a surprise?

other person, look, you don't know how to round. basically, it works like this: you go up if it's 5 or higher. so 2995 is rounded up to 3000, not 2990 nor 2900.

In conclusion, I suspect you work for the EPA for you both have a lot to learn. ;-) haha peace peace not trying to attack you. actually, you/your car are interesting -- you have a 4vz-fe engine!! that's neat. and horribly slow, and I suspect terrible gas mileage too. but I digress. I wonder, do you have automatic or manual, and are either the same as the USDM?

hahahaha you'd have to do alot more than just that to attack me hahahahah no worries man its all cool . I dont work for the EPA and yes I do admit I still have much to learn as I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. After all I am just a small fry living on a small island in a giant bowl of hungry sharks in the middle of nowhere.

As for the 4VZ-FE engine, for being slow, I would have to disagree with you, this car sometimes even scares me with how quick the car is (it's still quicker than your average crappy honda riced out with fart can's and whatnot) However that being said, I would really hate to put my foot down in a 3VZ-FE or a 1MZ-FE powered ES300 as I have never driven anything more powerfull than my only car.

On the note of gas milage I can manage going almost a month on a full tank without having to fill up. (probably because I little places to go) so I dont know about the terrible gas milage on that part. and its really nice to only fill up once a month.

the car is an automatic.

I haven't seen little or no difference between JDM and USDM other than badging and the driving position swapped. Maybe a few asthetics here or their in the interior department. but that is all I have noticed.

edit: I also tried looking up my car in on that gas milage website... the closest USDM lexus I can find with 2.5L engine is the 90 Lexus ES250 and the 90 Lexus ES250 is powered by a 2VZ-FE engine.

From my quick research on wikipedia the 4VZ-FE was apparantly built to replace the 2VZ-FE as Toyota's 2.5 L V6. That engine was only sold with JDM vehicles.

Peace
J.

Last edited by Jeremy-KY; 05-31-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 07:52 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

your engine is almost entirely the same design as mine, but in 2.5 liter capacity. almost nothing is shared with your engine and the old 2.5. but yeah, one was used to replace the other.

for your engine, what is the torque @ what rpm ?
horsepower @ what rpm?

how fast have you gone on your island in that thing?
what gas mileage do you get?

what kind of sharks you catch there?

I just fixed my exhaust leak so i will soon see what miles per gallon I get, but I was getting a little under 20. I live in a very congested part of the USA. Fastest i have seen my car go is over 120 MPH. It didn't seem bothered. In 1992 standards [they have since changed the standards slightly], my engine is 195 lb*ft torque @ 4,400 RPM, 185 horsepower @ 5,200 RPM

Last edited by llcoolpass; 05-31-08 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 09:33 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
your engine is almost entirely the same desgin as mine, but in 2.5 liter capacity. almost nothing is shared with your engine and the old 2.5. but yeah, one was used to replace the other.

for your engine, what is the torque @ what rpm ?
horsepower @ what rpm?

how fast have you gone on your island in that thing?
what gas mileage do you get?

I just fixed my exhaust so i will soon see what miles per gallon I get, but I was getting a little under 20. I live in a very congested part of the USA. Fastest i have seen my car go is over 120 MPH. It didn't seem bothered. In 1992 standards [they ahve changed the standards slightly], my engine is 195 lb*ft torque @ 4,400 RPM, 185 horsepower @ 5,200 RPM

165 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
173 hp @ 6000 rpm

(probably a little more so with the short ram intake and less restrictive exhaust) but I dont know the figures exactly + i'm not paying an arm and a leg just to get the car dyno tested.

Fastest I was able to get on my car was about 166km/h or 103 mph before running out of road. and I cannot think of a place to go any faster in my country, and I dont plan on ever finding out either, i have no desire to loose my licence and or have my car run off the road into the ocean. unless some garage gets a rolling road or a dyno capable of top speed run's I dont think i'll ever find out.

I normally drive between 25mph to 40mph (local speedlimits here) most of the time and nothing over. and I generally keep my engine's rpm's around 2100 @ 40 mph and 1800 @ 25 mph

As for gas milage, im guessing its somewhere between 19-25 MPG, I'll have to re-calculate to get you a more accurate and correct figure on my part. instead of a rough guestimate.

cheers
J.
Old 06-01-08, 03:23 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

is yours a 5-speed manual?
Old 06-01-08, 03:37 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

nope, it's an 4spd autobox
Old 06-01-08, 04:07 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

did taking the catalytic converter out make a big difference?
Old 06-01-08, 10:18 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Gas milage Performance wise yes, before I took the cat off, the car seemed very sluggish pulling off even after flushing the transmission twice.

Now after taking my old cat off, my mechanic discovered the cat converter was clogged enough to hamper my acceleration, and now without the cat, it seems at lot easier to move off than before and there seems to be more low end grunt on acceleration side of things. As for improvements to the car's power and torque figures, I highly doubt theirs much of any increase on what it was before the cat was removed, if their was, it probably returned the car to the stock power figures at my best guess.

To see if their has been any improvements to the car. i'll have to find out if the local dyno is still operational from the last hurricane and probably find out if they would dyno my car.

In general though. I'll have to mention that my tipical driving day I rarely never get over 15 miles a day in traveling to work, lunch and back home, which can probably explain why I'm able to go for so long on a single tank of gas, afterall it is a small island that I live on, only being 2 miles from work is a nice thing I would imagine.

oh and as for sharks... actually I have never hooked a shark yet... mostly tarpon, barracuda's and snapper's that I fish up. no luck on a shark yet unfortunantly, if i do catch one yeah i'll find out what kind it is for ya.. all though we should kinda get this thing back on the "real" topic.

cheers,
J.

Last edited by Jeremy-KY; 06-01-08 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 94 vs 95 es300 fuel economy