ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 Sound Deadening DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 10:31 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
Oh ok, I've set mine and it runs at around 1800rpm at 40MPH 4th gear.
I forgot to mention, this was 2300 @ 40 mph going up hill (accelerating to 45 mph spd limit). lol
Old 01-29-09, 01:06 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I forgot to mention, this was 2300 @ 40 mph going up hill (accelerating to 45 mph spd limit). lol

ohh ok. And I forgot..... It's actually sitting at 1500RPM. My bad. hehe
Old 02-16-09, 12:27 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

since we got an es300 01 not to brag lol, there really isnt that much road noise, but i have an ideato get rid of that wind noise. Get some of that insulation tape stuff, usually at your local hardwar place, its the stuff you put around your windows and doors to prevent a draft, and stick it under the rubber stuff surrounding your window, believe me, there is a big difference.
Is this easy to do?
Old 02-16-09, 12:44 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Its pretty easy.
For the 2nd gens, the number one problem is air leaking in b/c the window has ripped through the rubber casing near where the side view mirrors are attached. I took some black electrical tape to cover the tear. There is still some wind noise because the misaligned windows cause the rubber seals to distort and let in wind. Also, for 2nd gens, there is supposed to be black weatherstrip running along the front of the window trim (the chrome part) and the pillar next to the windshield. Youll notice that the weather stripping has been pushed inside, allowing wind to sneak in there and cause the trim to vibrate. Also, you'll notice that there is a drainage hole in there, and that will also cause wind noise.
Old 02-16-09, 01:32 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What about 3rd gens, cause that's what I have?
Old 02-16-09, 09:39 AM
riot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 3rd gen as well (97) and was thinking about trying out the window seal fix. i only get a little bit of wind noise from my drivers side window (so most annoying to me lol) would definately like to make it stop!
Old 02-16-09, 12:28 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by riot
i have a 3rd gen as well (97) and was thinking about trying out the window seal fix. i only get a little bit of wind noise from my drivers side window (so most annoying to me lol) would definately like to make it stop!
The only wind noise you will stop by stuffing foam under the seals is the noise that occurs because the between the window and the rubber is not tight enough. While driving you can pull back the seal and the window and look for low spots where the wind starts coming in.
Old 02-17-09, 02:46 AM
cali808
Driver School Candidate

I have excessive wind noise also. I noiced the mention of the chrome trime above the window areas there is a large space but its pretty consistant like its suppost to be that way. I have a 96 and the wind noise is annoying and id love to get rid of it. The sunroof seems to be the most noisey anyone know where to get new seals or how to fix this?
Old 02-17-09, 09:40 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cali808
I have excessive wind noise also. I noiced the mention of the chrome trime above the window areas there is a large space but its pretty consistant like its suppost to be that way. I have a 96 and the wind noise is annoying and id love to get rid of it. The sunroof seems to be the most noisey anyone know where to get new seals or how to fix this?
The #1 problem is the window misalignment. New seals won't fix anything.
After the windows are aligned, you will need the rubber gasket (where the front corner of the window comes up).
I'll try to align the windows again this summer but..egh I'll live with it for now.

The sunroof however, could benefit from new seals. The rubber has shrunk, and doesn't form a proper seal with the roof anymore.

Ex.

Is this the sliding roof weatherstrip?
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par....asp?id=183473
63252-33010
Weatherstri P, Sliding Roof Housing
for 27 bucks...I think Sewell is a CL vendor as well?

Last edited by tuan92129; 02-17-09 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-18-09, 02:08 AM
cali808
Driver School Candidate

aligning the windows...that sounds hard. Ill look into it. I see you installed new leather. How difficult was that. I replaced my stock leather in my 06 eclipse with katzkin tuscany leather(love it!) but it was a major pain. the front seats were practically impossible to do. other than the burning stinging pain in my hands for a week it wasnt all that bad. I saw a good deal on ebay for like 499 which i think are from china but wondering how hard it is.
Old 02-18-09, 11:29 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

aligning the windows...that sounds hard. Ill look into it. I see you installed new leather. How difficult was that. I replaced my stock leather in my 06 eclipse with katzkin tuscany leather(love it!) but it was a major pain. the front seats were practically impossible to do. other than the burning stinging pain in my hands for a week it wasnt all that bad. I saw a good deal on ebay for like 499 which i think are from china but wondering how hard it is.
I have scars to prove i DIY'ed it
Theres just too much customization involved to install the covers, that i wouldn't recommend it. The double-stiching runs right along the seat adjustment ****, so i had to cut through this..and resow the stitching. The Front seat bottom doesn't quite fit right, and theres some slight fitment issues for the rear seats. I'd spend 300 more for leather from our CL vendor.
Old 02-19-09, 12:13 AM
cali808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I have scars to prove i DIY'ed it
Theres just too much customization involved to install the covers, that i wouldn't recommend it. The double-stiching runs right along the seat adjustment ****, so i had to cut through this..and resow the stitching. The Front seat bottom doesn't quite fit right, and theres some slight fitment issues for the rear seats. I'd spend 300 more for leather from our CL vendor.
you know you'd be surprised with aftermarket seat covers. I had the same issues with my katzkin leather seats, they didnt quite fit on my driver seat bottom and passenger side was like too small on the side and part of the backseat stitching didnt align where it should have been. katzkin is supposed to be one of the best especially considering mine retails for like $1300-1400. the tuscany leather quality is ultra smooth and soft but scratches a little easy . I got a great deal on it on ebay for like 550 shipped. I saw your leather pics on your other thread it looks pretty nice to me and I see how the stitching goes right through the controls. I'm just trying to go as cheap as I can with this car. I might even go with the synthetic leather they sell on ebay. but im not sure

I also checked my windows and they do seem aligned pretty well. I did the trunk in b-quiet I had left over from doing the eclipse i still have like 40sq ft left over to do the doors and stuff. Where in the world do you buy that spongey foam that looks like the stuff under carpets?
Old 02-19-09, 01:17 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

you know you'd be surprised with aftermarket seat covers. I had the same issues with my katzkin leather seats, they didnt quite fit on my driver seat bottom and passenger side was like too small on the side and part of the backseat stitching didnt align where it should have been. katzkin is supposed to be one of the best especially considering mine retails for like $1300-1400. the tuscany leather quality is ultra smooth and soft but scratches a little easy . I got a great deal on it on ebay for like 550 shipped. I saw your leather pics on your other thread it looks pretty nice to me and I see how the stitching goes right through the controls. I'm just trying to go as cheap as I can with this car. I might even go with the synthetic leather they sell on ebay. but im not sure

I also checked my windows and they do seem aligned pretty well. I did the trunk in b-quiet I had left over from doing the eclipse i still have like 40sq ft left over to do the doors and stuff. Where in the world do you buy that spongey foam that looks like the stuff under carpets?
Err...i'd be careful about using b-quiet since its asphalt based.
As for the leather...i say its leather to make myself feel better. In reality, its 'bonded leather' which is a suede bottom part, covered with a stamped polyurethane/ vinyl 'grain'. You kind of get what you pay for i guess. I just didn't want to spend money on a car that would sell for less than $2000.
The black ensolite foam i bought off of the raammat website. The green foam is pergo underlayment. I wouldn't recommend using that, because certain foams block different sound frequencies. It turns out that this foam is only effective at blocking sound frequencies in the human voice range, so they are perfectly useless.
Old 02-20-09, 04:24 AM
cali808
Driver School Candidate

I looked at the raammat website and noticed the RAAMmat BXT looks EXACTLY the same as the B-quiet Ultimate that I bought. There was a noticeable difference on my eclipse, but that car is far from being a quiet car. on the freeway the road noise is very high and the exhaust and engine are somewhat easily heard. When doing that car I saw only a little of that foam in the doors with pretty much nothing everywhere else, i expected more from a newer car, although when i started doing the lexus I was pretty surprised at the amount of sound proofing it already had. I havent opened up the Murano yet but that car is pretty much quiet except while riding in the backseat.

As far as the leather goes I'm that same boat. I dont feel like spending a ton of money on leather on a car thats only 3-4k. The only reason I want to fix it up is because I'm driving it as a commuter for another year to save up to buy a new expensive car. Although theres so many to choose from I really would like a luxury german car. I think Ive tried the japanese cars long enough and would like to try something new. If lexus ever does a redesign of the SC convt id prob get that, Not too sure about the IS convt due out soon.