ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ABS Light - Code 13

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 06:33 PM
avrcguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light - Code 13

For a few months now I've had and Issue with my ABS light coming on in my 1996 ES300. It started out as an intermittent problem, but now does it 100% of the time. When starting the car all the dash lights come on and go off as normal, but as soon as I start to drive the ABS light comes on and stays on.

So a few day ago I took the car into my mechanic to have this issue fixed. He at first assumed it was just the pump relay, but discovered the relay to be good. The computer was giving him a Code 13. Which I believe he said was being caused by a voltage drop during the system check. He tested the battery, replaced the corroded terminals, disconnected the remote start, and any other unnecessary accessories, but was still getting the light and code. He then spent the majority of the day checking the entire system. He said everything in the system checked out just fine including all 4 wheel sensors, the pump, and all the wiring. He felt the only thing left was the ABS ECU, but was a little skeptical because he could find very few reports of them failing. Upon doing some research I found a known good ABS ECU pretty cheap and had him try that. Still no luck.

Can anyone here please point me in the right direction. I really would like to avoid the dealership as they have tried to rip me off 3 times now, and I just flat out don't trust them. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 07-10-08, 11:15 PM
avrcguy
Driver School Candidate

Still struggling here. Anyone with some ideas?

I'm pulling out what little hair I have left.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-08, 11:37 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I don't know much about the ABS system.
It might help if you download the Lexus service manual, and look up the ABS system. They have a checklist of items to check and diagnose, and Its what the Lexus dealer would go by also, so just in case you need to stop by the dealer, you can refer to it so they don't rip you off.
Old 07-10-08, 11:53 PM
avrcguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Sorry, I don't know much about the ABS system.
It might help if you download the Lexus service manual, and look up the ABS system. They have a checklist of items to check and diagnose, and Its what the Lexus dealer would go by also, so just in case you need to stop by the dealer, you can refer to it so they don't rip you off.
Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me where I would be able to find that download?