ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES 300 Will Not Shift into OD - Ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 03:41 PM
DSMCasey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 ES 300 Will Not Shift into OD - Ever

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a '99 ES 300 with 106k miles. The car is in great shape and I had it checked out by the family mechanic when I bought it. His only complaint was that the 100k service had not been done, so I got that taken care of. Now that I've driven it 500 miles I've noticed two things:

1 terrible gas mileage
2 It never, ever shifts into Overdrive

I don't have any check engine lights showing on the dash, but the car turns about 4k rpms going 70mph down the freeway. I can turn the OD button on or off going 70 down the freeway and nothing changes, the car doesn't shift. I have also paid close attention to at what RPM the car shifts on lower gears. Oddly enough, the car shifts into second gear at 4400 RPMs. This seems really low to me. I've also counted the shifts the car does when accellerating to highway speeds and I count three shifts. So either I have a one of a kind 3spd or something is wrong here! So, how much work + money am I looking at for the repairs and can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Casey
Old 07-09-08, 11:44 PM
DSMCasey
Driver School Candidate

I've searched. This question has been asked multiple times by different users. Apparently it's still an issue, because no one has responded when the question has been asked!! No one knows the possible cure?

All the searching I have done leads me to believe that it's a sensor. I believe it is the temperature sensor for the tranny. But I can't find that part anywhere (even at the parkplace plano website). And I have no idea how to test or search for that part.....Can someone...anyone...help?
Old 08-06-08, 06:25 PM
DSMCasey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's what the problem was:

CEL and Trac off light were not functioning. As were several of the other idiot lights. I never noticed it. Anyway, pulled the panel out and replaced the light bulbs. You can get the light bulbs for the idiot lights from any auto parts store. I paid $3 for 2 of them at o'reilly. After that, I saw the trac light and the CEL were illuminated.

Next, I got the codes read at autozone. It was the knock sensors (Both of them). I also got a code that the "engine was running rich" but I'm not sure why that code popped... I had both knock sensors replaced as well as the wiring harness (also had the the bypass hose replaced while they were in there) . I got all the parts from carson toyota for about $300 or so. Labor was $250. I think I got a descent deal on parts and labor. A cousin of mine owns a shop and he does most of my work. He doesn't give me a "steal" on labor but he's honest and cheaper than anyone else....anyway...

After the knock sensors were replaced I did a tuneup and replaced two of the 02 sensors (just because the car has 110k now).

As a result:
Car shifts BEAUTIFULLY
Car goes into OD
I get 28MPG+
NO CEL
The car runs great, I mean GREAT.

So, for everyone who has had this same issue hopefully this resolves it.
Old 08-06-08, 07:57 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats. and enjoy
Charley
Old 08-07-08, 08:55 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but what fixed your transmission?
and why do you put an 's' after rpm/ RPM?

RPM is short for revolutions per minute
Old 08-07-08, 03:09 PM
Eclipsed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DSMCasey

Thanks for all the replies!

Here's what the problem was:

CEL and Trac off light were not functioning. As were several of the other idiot lights. I never noticed it. Anyway, pulled the panel out and replaced the light bulbs. You can get the light bulbs for the idiot lights from any auto parts store. I paid $3 for 2 of them at o'reilly. After that, I saw the trac light and the CEL were illuminated.

Next, I got the codes read at autozone. It was the knock sensors (Both of them). I also got a code that the "engine was running rich" but I'm not sure why that code popped... I had both knock sensors replaced as well as the wiring harness (also had the the bypass hose replaced while they were in there) . I got all the parts from carson toyota for about $300 or so. Labor was $250. I think I got a descent deal on parts and labor. A cousin of mine owns a shop and he does most of my work. He doesn't give me a "steal" on labor but he's honest and cheaper than anyone else....anyway...

After the knock sensors were replaced I did a tuneup and replaced two of the 02 sensors (just because the car has 110k now).

As a result:
Car shifts BEAUTIFULLY
Car goes into OD
I get 28MPG+
NO CEL
The car runs great, I mean GREAT.

So, for everyone who has had this same issue hopefully this resolves it.
Had the same issue, and did the same thing you did to fix it. However, it started again after about 6 months. Except now my over drive still works. (I still have all the lights, and the car runs like complete ****)