ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Does this sound like a starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 10:13 AM
lexusnb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like a starter problem?

Lately when we go to start the wifes car it just clicks when we turn the key but not all the time sometimes it just starts right up like normal. So then we turn it off and try again and sometimes it starts or we have to do it again. No warning lights are on either. Let me know what you guys think could it be the starter letting us know its on it's way out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-08, 07:56 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time it acts up, give it a sharp hit. If it starts up, replace the starter.
Old 08-01-08, 04:31 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnb
Lately when we go to start the wifes car it just clicks when we turn the key but not all the time sometimes it just starts right up like normal. So then we turn it off and try again and sometimes it starts or we have to do it again. No warning lights are on either. Let me know what you guys think could it be the starter letting us know its on it's way out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hi lexusnb,

I agree - sounds like the starter. If you try to start the car and all you hear is a single click and no engine noise of it trying to turn over and start then it's probably the starter.

Mine went on my 97 the other month. It would click once (no other noise) and if I kept trying it would eventually suddenly turn over and start, but each week I didn't have it fixed, it got worse and worse untill it wouldn't start anymore after trying numerous times.

Before you spend heaps of money on buying a complete new starter motor get your auto electrician to check the contacts inside the starter motor because in almost every case all you need to do is replace the starter contacts inside the starter motor. This is basically the only things that wear out on the Lexus/Toyota Denso starter motor.

Act like you know whats wrong with it and say its the contacts when you go to the electrician because many will simply try to rip you off by saying you need a whole brand new starter! Not true!
Check this link out below..... Whilst I didn't buy the parts from there (I just got my auto electrician to get the parts) Their advice certainly worked for me and I saved heaps - I just needed new contacts. That's it - Simple!

http://www.startercontacts.com/

Good luck!

LEX ES300