ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 07:41 AM
CtrFwd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMan
...Look for a small black box with "Diagnostic" written on top. The box is about 1" X 4"..... .
I have a exact same problem with my 93 ES300 and most likely it is my solenoid, however just curious when I've opend this "Diagnostic" box, it was cover with very light tan color grease inside. Is this normal or do I need to clean this up? Is this a possible cause for overheating? I have no idea how it got coated with this grease.

Leeslove4, I also like to know if solenoid replacement has solved your problem. And if you can give us detail information of how to replace this solenoid, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-17-08, 07:04 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's probably dielectric grease that you are noticing. That was also present in the same place on my 94 ES. It is used to prevent corrosion. You shouldn't try to remove it. It's there for a purpose.

It should not interfere with your bridging the two terminals to check the operation of the cooling fan.

Before considering replacement of this solenoid, make sure that the wiring harness is actually plugged into the power steering pump. Also look for any damaged wiring in the harness.

Just out of curiosity, I checked yesterday with Park Place Lexus in Texas about this solenoid. It is not shown as a separate part on their parts website, either as a cooling fan component or power steering component. The parts person told me that it is not sold as a separate part but is part of the power steering pump. As I recall the price, the power steering pump costs somewhere in the $400.00 range. He was going to do further research and see if he could come up with a part number, and he indicated that he would call me back if he found it. I never got a call, so I assume that it is not available separately.

If an ES owner determines that this is his cooling problem, his first search should be in a salvage yard. There should be a significant number of Lexus models that use the hydraulically operated fan and even more six cylinder Camrys that also use it.

Last edited by CUMan; 09-17-08 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Add last two paragraphs
Old 09-18-08, 06:47 AM
CtrFwd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CUMan
Just out of curiosity, I checked yesterday with Park Place Lexus in Texas about this solenoid. It is not shown as a separate part on their parts website, either as a cooling fan component or power steering component. The parts person told me that it is not sold as a separate part but is part of the power steering pump. As I recall the price, the power steering pump costs somewhere in the $400.00 range. He was going to do further research and see if he could come up with a part number, and he indicated that he would call me back if he found it. I never got a call, so I assume that it is not available separately.

If an ES owner determines that this is his cooling problem, his first search should be in a salvage yard. There should be a significant number of Lexus models that use the hydraulically operated fan and even more six cylinder Camrys that also use it.
Thanks for your info. I've checked with my Toyota dealer and told me part number for this solenoid is 16929 62020. Of course this is for a 93 Camry V6 but sounds like this is a part that I can use for 93 ES300 as well.
Old 09-18-08, 08:52 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Great. We now have a part number.

Yes, that part number is sold by the Lexus dealers who do internet sales.

Carson Toyota shows the price as $107.52 if you are buying it for a Camry and $114.69 if you are buying it for a Lexus ES. The price difference is typical for those dealers who sell both Toyota and Lexus parts. Usually, the difference is greater.

Buy the Camry model. Save your $7.17.
Old 09-19-08, 12:03 PM
leeslove4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help!!!

Originally Posted by searay
Leeslove4 did it work???
Like a charm!!! In fact, I thought I saw a snowflake come out of my vent Once hubby replaced my power steering pump everything worked like a dream!!

P.S. - this may be off topic, but since I'm here, let me say that I used the advice I found here and ordered a headlight cleaner I from http://www.mdwholesale.com/
---OMG, it worked even better than I expected! My headlights look brand new! Okay, I just had to get that off my chest
Old 09-19-08, 12:07 PM
leeslove4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CtrFwd
I have a exact same problem with my 93 ES300 and most likely it is my solenoid, however just curious when I've opend this "Diagnostic" box, it was cover with very light tan color grease inside. Is this normal or do I need to clean this up? Is this a possible cause for overheating? I have no idea how it got coated with this grease.

Leeslove4, I also like to know if solenoid replacement has solved your problem. And if you can give us detail information of how to replace this solenoid, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by leeslove4
Like a charm!!! In fact, I thought I saw a snowflake come out of my vent Once hubby replaced my power steering pump everything worked like a dream!!

P.S. - this may be off topic, but since I'm here, let me say that I used the advice I found here and ordered a headlight cleaner I from http://www.mdwholesale.com/
---OMG, it worked even better than I expected! My headlights look brand new! Okay, I just had to get that off my chest

Does that answer your question?
Old 09-21-08, 04:48 PM
CtrFwd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leeslove4
So did your husband replaced a whole power steering pump? or just a solenoid that is on a power steering pump? I was hoping getting help on how to replace just a "solenoid valve" and not a whole pump.
Thanks.
Old 09-25-08, 01:17 PM
CtrFwd
Driver School Candidate

Default So how to replace a solenoid valve?

So does anyone know how to replace a solenoid valve? Do I need to disconnect power steering pump and bleed a fluid or can I just change a solenoid valve without removing a power steering pump and its hoses?
Any help will be appriciated.
Old 09-25-08, 08:46 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CtrFwd
So does anyone know how to replace a solenoid valve? Do I need to disconnect power steering pump and bleed a fluid or can I just change a solenoid valve without removing a power steering pump and its hoses?
Any help will be appriciated.
I infer from Leeslove4's posting that they replaced the entire power steering pump.

Obviously, the solenoid can be replaced without replacing the entire pump since Lexus sells the part separately.

Sewell has an exploded diagram of the power steering pump on their website.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/***...l=197&year=154

The solenoid is at the bottom of the diagram. I cannot determine how it attaches from the diagram. It is probably held in place with screws.

Note that the part listing below the diagram shows the solenoid part number as 16929-62020. This agrees with the number previously mentioned in this thread.
Old 03-01-09, 09:23 AM
Merritt8
Driver School Candidate

Make sure the harness to the ps pump is connected. I looked forever hearing about a harness at the back of the engine being unplugged and causing this problem with no one saying which harness or where. It is a small white plug on the right side below your intake on the ps pump. Hope this helps everyone. I have a 93 es300 and it was blowing the lower hose off. I jumper the e1 and op1 and nothing so I thought it was a bad fan motor. Then after more reading I was going to investigate the solenoid and was looking for it and ran across the unplugged harness.

However, the terminal bridging that can be done to check the fan speed IS NOT done at the ECM. This check is done under the hood, on the passenger side of the car. Look for a small black box with "Diagnostic" written on top. The box is about 1" X 4". Looking at the engine compartment from the front, the box is about a foot to the right of the shock absorber mount. The top of this box flips up. Printed on the inside of the top are descriptions of the various terminals inside the box. To check the fan speed, terminals E1 and OP1 should be bridged. According to the manual, the fan should turn at approximately 1100 RPM when these terminals are bridged.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-22-10, 01:30 PM
awaken
Driver School Candidate

I'm about to diagnose all this myself since I am having the same problem. Sorry for the silly question but how exactly do I "bridge" the two terminals together? With a piece of wire? If so, what is there a particular gauge I should use?