ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1998 ES300 [exhaust fumes inside car?]

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 06:54 AM
mhickstx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1998 ES300 [exhaust fumes inside car?]

In my 1998 ES300, I have started getting a strong smell of fumes inside the car. I have had the exhaust system inspected by several different techs and they cannot find where it can be coming from or how it is getting inside the car. Has anyone else had this problem? I really like the car and do not want to get rid of it, especially for this reason. Thank you, Mike
Old 08-30-08, 10:05 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont take your car until they fix it, duh
Old 08-31-08, 06:39 AM
mhickstx
Driver School Candidate

Default fumes inside car

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
dont take your car until they fix it, duh
Define "they". "They" all seem to be stumped.
Old 08-31-08, 08:35 AM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

If you switch the climate control to recirculate instead of outside air, does it go away? That would help narrow it down a bit.
Does it do it at highway speeds, or in town more?
Old 08-31-08, 01:17 PM
rzj90059
Rookie

I have a similar problem, not sure if its exhaust fumes though. If lets say i get on the freeway and start going past 55, I begin to get this egg-like odor...nasty egg though!!! It happens any day and every day i go past 55.
Old 09-01-08, 07:53 AM
mhickstx
Driver School Candidate

Default rotten egg smell

Originally Posted by rzj90059
I have a similar problem, not sure if its exhaust fumes though. If lets say i get on the freeway and start going past 55, I begin to get this egg-like odor...nasty egg though!!! It happens any day and every day i go past 55.
Generally, a "rotten egg" smell is from a faulty exhaust problem such as a converter starting to burn out or the muffler going bad. It used to happen when regular gas was used instead of unleaded gas. I like to use some "additives" to clean the fuel system, but I am sure one would have to be careful on which ones or safe and which ones are not. On standard transmissions there will be a strong smell if you start "burning" the clutch out. Good luck
Old 09-01-08, 07:55 AM
mhickstx
Driver School Candidate

Default climate control setting

Originally Posted by Rhoderman
If you switch the climate control to recirculate instead of outside air, does it go away? That would help narrow it down a bit.
Does it do it at highway speeds, or in town more?
I have made sure that the setting is on recirculate. It is mostly apparent when sitting still such as at a red light.
Old 09-01-08, 08:55 AM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

If it smells like rotten eggs, it's from behind the catalytic converter. You can either check for leaks with the car on jack stands, or take it in and have a new exhaust put on from the cat back.

Still, it shouldn't be getting inside. I'd suggest not using recirc and try the "outside air" setting. That air will come from the base of the windshield, and if you have a leak elsewhere, the air blowing out should push the exhaust fumes away. You're from Texas, so I'd guess you don't have a big rust hole somewhere.

Pull the back seat (easy, lift up on the front edge) and see if the drain plugs are still in place. Check around all the door seals and make sure one isn't missing or damaged. Check the trunk seal too, as there is a vacuum at the back of the car when you are running down the highway.

It might also be that your car is running excessively rich, or the fuel you are using simply stinks. Try a different brand from almost empty. If you think it's running too rich, have the O2 sensor checked, or shotgun it (them?) if you're over 100K miles anyway.

Good Luck!
Old 09-01-08, 10:03 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, the first exhaust problem to show up in my 98 ES was the flex pipe at the base of the firewall - a very slight leak.

That could be the culprit, as the fumes would blow under and away while the car is moving, but rise up the firewall and into the vent intakes when the car is stopped at a light.
Old 09-01-08, 02:11 PM
rzj90059
Rookie

Well im actually in Cali....and I only use Chevron gas, im not the richest person in the world so i dont use premium
Old 09-02-08, 08:47 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jack up the car start it and climb under the front. ask someone to step on the gas and see if there are any fumes around catalytic converter.
Old 09-02-08, 11:40 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

ummm i don't think that is such a good idea to be underneath a car while its running... expecially when its on jack stands. i perfer you stay on the side the car and look from birds eye view.

there is a possibility that your shift cable linkage cover is damage. just a possibility.

it is a cover that covers the outside fire walll so that fumes does not come in.

i have a damage one, so i have no cover from the firewall and the inside so fumes would get in,expecially when i have an exhaust leak at the moment.. its dangerous.

if you want to know where its located... it smack right in the middle underneath the dashboard on the walls.

and i DO NOT SUGGEST STAYING UNDER A CAR WHILE ITS RUNNING....

i swap motors and i still don't trust being under a car PERIOD.
Old 09-03-08, 05:56 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

well, you can be under a car safely....use car jack, stands and wheel stops to secure it first.