ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

So Do I Introduce myself here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 08:31 AM
bdotwoods
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Do I Introduce myself here?

Well... If i fail, go head and give me the n00b treatment

But uhh.. Name is brandon, college kid, lucked up on a 98 es (that makes it 3g right?) with 50k on it for less than 10 k . I love the car, it's everything that i need.... EXCEPT this damn technology (of course, it is a 98.. so i can't be mad.) I dont have the handyman skills to build a carputer (what i really would go for), i dont want to misuse the space of a dual din (it is a true dual din, right?) with a single din interface, and i dont want anything tacky... after all, it is a lexus I asked lexus how much it would cost to gut that old setup, and throw the newer rx's stuff in there... i'd pay extra for a clean setup. ok, way too much talking. i guess it's a way of saying hi ?

What was your first mod ? how long did it take you to get it done ? I'm really iffy about getting a mod and having it mess up the sex appeal of the lex... nothing worse than someone giving toyota supra treatment to the lex.
Old 09-20-08, 09:25 AM
AlleyKat
Pole Position

Wow pretty low miles.Nice pickup and welcome!

You can put a double din in there without it looking tacky.Just visit a local audio store and im sure they will show you some options.
Old 09-20-08, 01:59 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Car looks nice. Double din setup will flow well and not tacky at all. When you ger serious about your carputer ambitions, hit up Smitty in this forum, or do a search for some of his post and pics (trust me you will be amazed). Smitty has been running a carputer for awhile now and I am sure that, when you are ready, can aid you with assistance.
Old 09-20-08, 04:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 09-20-08, 06:31 PM
paintrain
Lead Lap

first, welcome. second, for a first mod id do window tint. its not a major mod by any means but subtle changes can make a big difference. i suggest 20%. after that id find a clean set of wheels, definitely the 2x din, and possibly some HIDs. anyway, there are some very tastefully modded cars on here so im sure youll find some inspiration.
Old 09-20-08, 06:36 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL. My first mod was 2 12'' subs installed it myself the first day I got my car home. Btw nice ES you got there.
Old 09-20-08, 07:53 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL . Quite the find you got there nice low miles and a very rare color or at least looks so from the picture. As mods my first mod was rims. Now when it comes to audio putting in the rx system will be more headache than it is worth. From the way I see it you have 3 options. Option 1 Ask Smitty and do some searching for carpc's I believe Manix has one as well. Option 2 Go with a double din deck like the pioneer AVIC series. Option 3 which my cheap self took, put the factory cd changer in and mod it for aux in which I use for Sirius and a Mp3 player.
Old 09-21-08, 06:13 AM
bdotwoods
Driver School Candidate

Preciate the welcome.

Searched some of Smitty's Work.... yea.. i'm in trouble, cause that's jus beautiful.... don't kno how i could ever imitate that. lol. So we can agree that 20% is a pretty good tint ?
Old 09-21-08, 10:13 AM
paintrain
Lead Lap

the amount of tint u want depends on ur personal preferences. the darker you go its harder to see in but also harder to see out. ive found that 15-20% is just right and u can still see out the windows at night without having too much difficulty. anything darker and your night visibility is pretty much gone.
Old 09-21-08, 12:50 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paintrain
the amount of tint u want depends on ur personal preferences. the darker you go its harder to see in but also harder to see out. ive found that 15-20% is just right and u can still see out the windows at night without having too much difficulty. anything darker and your night visibility is pretty much gone.
First of all, welcome bdotwoods!
Secondly, if you're going for tint, you have to also consider that in most places there are restrictions on what's legal tint and what isn't. And in some places, tint of any kind is illegal. So, just keep that in mind when you're deciding to go for it or not. But lots of ppl go for tint regardless of whether it's legal or not (like me any tint on the driver's or front passenger side windows is a no-no here) and deal with the consequences if/when they get stopped.

PS Choas : I'm really digging your new sig!!!

Last edited by Lexucan; 09-21-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-21-08, 01:01 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome bro. Nice ride you got there. When u decide to go CarPC or double din HU let me know and I'll provide help/advice if you need it. Luckily I'm in the DC metro area so I may not be too far from you As far as tint I say sick with 20%. Its just right and you wont have cops messing with you that its too dark.

-Smitty
Old 09-21-08, 07:32 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
PS Choas : I'm really digging your new sig!!!
Thanks I'm thinking of changing the font tho Been wanting to get a new one the old one just didn't do justice to the work I have done
Old 09-21-08, 08:34 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Welcome to CL bdot! Nice looking ES.