ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97: changed plugs for CEL p0300 and p0302 but no avail

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 08:07 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 97: changed plugs for CEL p0300 and p0302 but no avail

hello there. ive used bosch plugs before and they all went bad when seafoaming my car, so i replaced them all with new bosch's about 6months ago as a last minute resort. and 4days ago i noticed the vehicle start to stutter, and the CEL came on. went to autozone for testing, and codes p0300 and p0302 were pulled. so today i changed that spark plug on cylinder 2(closest to the front of vehicle on passenger side). after driving away, it started to sputter again after about 3miles. the person at the counter at first said it may be the coil pack for that cylinder. could it be. this is for a 97. and stated that i would just need to replace that coil pack(located right above the spark plug). does each cylinder have its own coil pack? sorry, im not familiar with coil packs, because from reading, member pheonix stated that there are 3 coil packs, 1 for 2 cylinders. and follows as 1-4, 2-5, 3-6

Thanks
Charley

Last edited by charley240; 09-25-08 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-25-08, 09:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by charley240
hello there. ive used bosch plugs before and they all went bad when seafoaming my car, so i replaced them all with new bosch's about 6months ago as a last minute resort. and 4days ago i noticed the vehicle start to stutter, and the CEL came on. went to autozone for testing, and codes p0300 and p0302 were pulled. so today i changed that spark plug on cylinder 2(closest to the front of vehicle on passenger side). after driving away, it started to sputter again after about 3miles. the person at the counter at first said it may be the coil pack for that cylinder. could it be. this is for a 97. and stated that i would just need to replace that coil pack(located right above the spark plug). does each cylinder have its own coil pack? sorry, im not familiar with coil packs, because from reading, member pheonix stated that there are 3 coil packs, 1 for 2 cylinders. and follows as 1-4, 2-5, 3-6

Thanks
Charley
Yes, each cylinder has its own coil pack. Here is a DIY spark plug thread I did for the RX300 (very similar to the ES) and you can see the coils and spark plugs there to get an idea, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264967

P0300 is a random cylinder misfire error that usually is accompanied with another P03XX. You are correct on P0302 and it pertaining to cylinder number 2 and its location. The front cylinders are 2, 4 and 6 from left to right and the rear ones are 1, 3 and 5 from left to right. If you think of a stick shift, that's pretty much the same way.

As far as it being a coil pack, I'd highly agree, I use to run carb cleaner in my RX300 and had a blown coil as a result. My uncle and I actually pulled out the ignition coil with the spark plug still attached and started up the vehicle and no spark would appear, confirming a bad coil.
Old 09-26-08, 10:44 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

ok. i think it is a coil pack, but i will go back to autozone now to pull codes again. yesterday replaced spark plug, after leaving about 3 miles away on my way to school. code poped up agian. so after school, went back, and had codes pulled again. same codes. so i removed the coil pack for testing, but the guys at the counter said they couldnt do it because they dont have the correct information to check on the voltmeter. so i swapped coil pack 2 and coil pack 4 and disconnected the battery to clear codes and drove around the block, and problem went away. well this morning got in my car for school, and instantly started stuttering and CEL came back on. im on my way to get it checked, but hopefully it will pull up as p0304 instead of p0302, confirming a bad coilpack. wish me luck. lol
Charley
Old 09-26-08, 11:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by charley240
ok. i think it is a coil pack, but i will go back to autozone now to pull codes again. yesterday replaced spark plug, after leaving about 3 miles away on my way to school. code poped up agian. so after school, went back, and had codes pulled again. same codes. so i removed the coil pack for testing, but the guys at the counter said they couldnt do it because they dont have the correct information to check on the voltmeter. so i swapped coil pack 2 and coil pack 4 and disconnected the battery to clear codes and drove around the block, and problem went away. well this morning got in my car for school, and instantly started stuttering and CEL came back on. im on my way to get it checked, but hopefully it will pull up as p0304 instead of p0302, confirming a bad coilpack. wish me luck. lol
Charley
Silly me, I should have mentioned switching the coil packs to check. The coil packs can go bad through no fault of their own, but even a dirty plug or one out of of gap can cause an ignition coil to go, but definitely it you don't sun seafoam or another cleaner right, the ignition coil can go. When I was in Mexico City, we didn't even have a Lexus dealer, so my uncle and I ended up getting a coil for a last generation Camry at the Toyota dealer (they didn't have the Highlander which would have been similar), sanded it down to get it to fit in the hole and it worked as a temporary fix until I could get one from the U.S. That was a reason I always carried at least two spare coils with me at all times down there.
Old 09-26-08, 06:03 PM
delta901
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has a similar problem about 2 weeks ago after I changed OE Denso Iridium to NGK Iridium IX. I got random miss fires and cyl 1 miss fires. Swapped coil pack, replaced NGK on cyl #1 with old Denso, problem fixed. It was the defective NGK plug - made in Japan.

Dump the Bosch - well known for sucky quality in Honda/Toyota and get Denso OE Iridium or Denso Power.

I will use the NGK IX for another 1k then will go back Denso OE (70k life) or Iridium Power (30k life).
Old 09-27-08, 10:27 AM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

update, ok, well after bringing it back to autozone. and scanned, now its p0304. so i have a bad coil pack. anyone know of good places to get them for better pricing for oem toyota?

yeah, these bosch's suck a lot. just that right now with no money, i cant even think about spending on something that i dont need, but thanks for the heads up.
Charley