ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

_____car audio system? please come in!_______

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 04:08 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382310
Old 10-03-08, 10:05 AM
TeamAM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3_Ray
You can do what i did, keep the stock headunit and wire in a subwoofer, keeping the stock speakers too, it sounds really good IMO

this way you use the stock amp and you dont have to run a signal wire to the back, just the + power wire.

good luck! it only cost me about 250 bucks because i built the box and the subwoofer was given to me by a friend because he blew out one, and got a whole new set...so he had nothing to do with the one good one.
niceee. what did you do?
Old 10-03-08, 11:38 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamAM
niceee. what did you do?
You can accomplish by wiring the speakers wires that would go to your sub to the speaker wires from the stock amp.

You can use the wiring diagram reference that I put in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=129035

If you have a 97 - 01 ES300 then go to page 5 and scroll down until you see my handle.

If you have a 92 - 96 ES300 then go to page 6.

Don't cut the wires as I mentioned in the post. Just splice into the wire and leave the connection to the amp intact.

The only problem with taking this approach is that your subs won't sound as clean since your not using a crossover to seperate the frequencies. In other words your not pushing pure bass to the subs.

Low frequency = bass
medium frequency = mid-range speakers
High frequency = tweeters

If you notice in the diagram I created earlier in this post the XOVER sits in the middle so what it does is seperate the frequency so that each speaker is getting the frequency it is most efficient at which gives you a cleaner or crisper sound.

Keep in mind thought that not all XOVER are built the same. In competitions that I've been to the judges uses devices to measure the clearity of the sound that's coming out of the system.

Last edited by kphu; 10-03-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 06:36 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Im not a big audiophile but I do have some good brands I've like over the years.

Alpine or Pioneer HU

JL or Fosgate amps

JL or Kicker L series subs

Mb Quart or Infiniti speakers

I would decide how much trunk space you wanna give up, and what kind of box you want to use. (ported, sealed, bandpass) also depends on sub choice.
order a crutchfield mag and see whats out there.
Old 10-06-08, 03:46 AM
heorung
Driver

1 more thing i forgot to add... if ur madz about bass... then dont forget to install a capacitor (1-2farat) ... this will help the give the bass more depth and reach that 50hz frequency.

Also make sure u invest $$$$ in good cables, goldplated terminals and fuses.. as well as heavy duty second battery.

I poped my back window once ..from the sound pressure level within the cabin from ... 2x 10" Sub on parcel shelf & 2x 12" ported firing from the backseat.

Maxx941 - couldn't agree with u more ... I used to have
ALpine HU - Mb Quartz splits ...6 1/2" front and back, Rockford Fosgate amps & Subs.... and Audio Control EQ for adjustment.
Old 10-06-08, 04:40 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

niceee. what did you do?
I lucked out with this specific amplifier. it came with the wires to take the stock sub wire and change it into the RCA style cable. If you're really interested in this mod, let me know. i forget what the feature is called on the amp, but i can look it up.

But to KPHU, does the stock amplifier send the low frequencies to the subwoofer, so wouldnt that mean that the wires that im getting signal off of are only recieving the bass? Just curious about the actual setup of the stock amp.
Old 10-06-08, 05:19 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3_Ray
But to KPHU, does the stock amplifier send the low frequencies to the subwoofer, so wouldnt that mean that the wires that im getting signal off of are only recieving the bass? Just curious about the actual setup of the stock amp.
The stock amplifier just amplifies or increases the power of the frequency that's coming from your stereo. I don't think it would be acting like a crossover for any particular reason. One way you can check this out is to adjust your fader and balance so that the sound only goes to the sub. If you hear vocals or anything else besides bass then it confirms what I'm talking about.
Old 10-06-08, 07:50 PM
Johnag
Driver School Candidate

I made my own dash kit out of MDF, fairly easy to do and looks better than the ones you can buy for the es. I originally had it veneered with matching wood grain, but I chipped the veneer lasted time I had it out, so I'm just gonna throw some bondo over it, sand it to match the contour, seal it, and paint it to match the interior pieces.

Even with a discount from BB, you can do better for the price. I'd check out ED subs and amps, then just get the head unit from BB. I also had a lot of problems with alternator noise when I was running an aftermarket deck w/ the stock speakers and amp. Ended up taking everything out and now I'm just running a nice set of componenets in the front with a single 15.
Old 10-07-08, 08:34 AM
leeslove4
Driver School Candidate

ok, i know that there's a forum for this, but i need specific help to es owners

i'm looking to change my whole system in my car with products from best buy. my cousin works there so she said she can hook me up.

i'm looking to change everything.. dash,speakers,sub,amp.

can you guys recommend me something nice to buy? specific products? i dont know about car audio. lol

i'm looking to spend about $800-1000

thanks!
If you shop at sonicelectronix.com, etronics.com, or onlinecarstereo.com you will spend much less than a grand!!

My husband is replacing all of the sound in my '93 ES300 with Kenwood, and looks like it won't cost $500! I found the radio dash kit online for like eight bucks.

Take your time and shop around--you might be surprised at what you find