ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car Hunting/Stalking - The Lexus ES 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 07:01 AM
bawlexus91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Hunting/Stalking - The Lexus ES 250

I'm not sure how ridiculous this will sound, but I have a strange affinity for ES 250s. My first car was a 1991 ES250, tan, purchased used for me in 1999. I owned it for about 3 years, and sold it when i went off to college. I regret the decision now, especially because of the work that I put into making that car look good, but now that I'm done with all of my schooling, and finally have entered the real world with a good paying job, I'm on the hunt for another one.

I've been fairly actively searching for ES 250s for about 1 month now. I've used some of the standard websites, like autotrader.com, cars.com, and iseecars.com. iseecars.com is awesome - it scours craigslists across the country looking for any used car model you enter into the search query.

THere have been a few good looking ES 250s, but not many. Here are my issue/questions:
1) Although I'm familiar enough with the ES 250, I have trouble bringing myself to purchasing a car that is located half way across the country, and I'll never see/test-drive it before owning it. Is this silly? Has anyone here tried there luck in purchasing a car without actually seeing it up close?
2) I think I'm being a bit too picky with my ES 250 selection. I only have 3 requirements - a) that the car be white w/ grey trim OR gold, b) the car must have leather interior, and c) i'd LIKE for the car to be a manual/stick-shift.
3) Does anyone around clublexus happen to be an ES 250 extraordinaire, ie, does anyone know where I can find them, the production number for manual ES 250's, etc, anything?

Again, I know this may seem like a bizarre request given the plethora of beautiful lexus' on the road - why would someone want an ES 250? I guess it's the novelty of the car, but all I know is I have the fever! Any advice, help, suggestions?
Old 10-18-08, 08:04 AM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

legendary car and rare to find in really good condition. You think about a 1992-1993 much better design and was available in manual. They had those in white and gold go online and do a search for those years you wont regret it if you get a gen2. o I forgot WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!
Old 10-18-08, 08:10 AM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

heres a 1993 in white on ebay with super low miles this will give an idea how much nicer the Generation 2 ES300 is over the first generation

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...mZ180299570784
Old 10-18-08, 10:01 AM
powerwave
Lead Lap

they're pretty rare cars. finding one in nice, operating condition is probably going to be tough. we bought ours with a trashed engine for really cheap and rebuilt. bad engines are very common now thx to the weak bearings in it. finding a 5sp in said condition is going to be even harder.

if you're considering buying without a test drive, i hope you're not considering paying very much for it. we bought or 300d on ebay without a test drive, and didn't even make it home before the first major problem cropped up.

the es250 is a very nice car if you can find one that's worth it.
Old 10-18-08, 03:16 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I've had exactly the same fixation with the ES250, check out my thread where I began the search! I feel your pain/addiction. No need to try and distract him with other generations, bros.

Choas and Powerwave are probably our two leading ES250 veterans. Choas' ES250 is on the sidelines right now after a wreck. Powerwave (a lovely couple) has the most recent experience, but is OH SO distracted with alternative fuels and three-digit MPGs

I can summarize with this - in the time I've shopped for a decent example of an ES250, I've been able to find an SC300, hard to find with my standards as well, in excellent shape and purchase it and even mod it somewhat. Now I'm on the hunt for a 2002 or newer LS430 UL...

Good luck with your hunt and keep us posted.
Old 10-18-08, 04:22 PM
powerwave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Powerwave (a lovely couple) has the most recent experience, but is OH SO distracted with alternative fuels and three-digit MPGs
lol! that's just circumstance, my friend. we're still very into our es, but at ~17 mpg we can't afford gas to drive it 5-6k mi/month.
Old 10-18-08, 04:48 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by powerwave
lol! that's just circumstance, my friend. we're still very into our es, but at ~17 mpg we can't afford gas to drive it 5-6k mi/month.
I completely empathize there. Our beloved Regency conversion van, the family truckster, sits far more now at 14-16MPG. I'm SO glad you guys are still around - kewl peeps, especially with ES250ness.
Old 10-18-08, 07:03 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The folks here are really kewl so if you see something not local to you most of the folks here will be willing to go and check it out. I wouldn't mind checking one out around my way for you if one is available.
Old 10-19-08, 06:55 AM
bawlexus91
Driver School Candidate

Wow, all of you have been amazingly awesome and helpful. And a big thanks to kphu for your offer - it's something i MAY have to take you up on eventually. I actually traveled up to a town above Richmond, Va yesterday to check out an ES 250, gold exterior, 130K miles on it, for $1700. Only problem was, the paint looked a bit rough - several corrosion spots and the hood and roof had some bad sun damage.

Ariyanna - I appreciate your help. I've actually owned a 1994 Lexus ES 300. I owned it for about 4 years before the tranny failed on it. Like Sloooooow said, above, I have a pretty weird fixation with the ES 250. I know most think it looks dated and boxy (and maybe it does), but it still doesn't affect the novelty of the car for me. PS - the ebay link to the white ES 300 you sent was beautiful - 9K miles on a 1992 LExus?!?! How is that even possible??

Choas and Powerwave - I may be in touch with you soon

To all the rest, keep your eyes open out there for a manual ES 250, preferably white or gold colored. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-08, 07:15 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
legendary car and rare to find in really good condition. You think about a 1992-1993 much better design and was available in manual. They had those in white and gold go online and do a search for those years you wont regret it if you get a gen2. o I forgot WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=343602

My Bro's 5spd 2nd gen
Old 10-19-08, 07:57 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW nice to see such interest in the good ole es250 . My es250 was my first car too but now it needs body work to be road worthy again. Sad news for my es250 tho my dad is selling his dealership and I have to cancel my plans to restore her back to road worthy condition. My computer has been down and I've had to use my ppc for all internet use. On that note and I haven't put it up in the classifieds yet but I have to get rid of my es250 I am willing to sell parts or the whole thing. I would post the link to the pics I posted here but my ppc doesn't work well with the search tool but if you search es250 and find the thread I started they are out there. If anyone wants some or all of it its a very rare find 80k on the body and tranny and 45k on the motor very very rare for its year and this kind of car. I do have to know soon since the property will be closing very soon. I will be placing it on ebay very soon but id rather give you guys first crack at it.
Old 10-19-08, 08:01 AM
bawlexus91
Driver School Candidate

CHOAS,

Awesome - I'm private messaging you!
Old 10-20-08, 06:33 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bawlexus91
...And a big thanks to kphu for your offer - it's something i MAY have to take you up on eventually.
If it doesn't work out with Chaos and you see something around the Boston area, shoot me a PM and I'll take a gander on your behalf.

Ken
Old 10-21-08, 07:41 AM
bawlexus91
Driver School Candidate

Default CAR FOUND - Advice Needed!!

Alright clublexus,

I've found a nice looking ES 250. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/875361269.html

It's a White/Tan 1991 Lexus ES 250. It has 94,000 miles on it.

Here is my problem - I think the asking price is high. The guy that is selling it is a private seller. He has said that he bought the car from a dealership, and that he is the second owner. I'm set to talk with him more about the car this evening at 5:30, but what I know so far, according to the seller, is that the paint and interior are in excellent shape. However, kelly's blue book says that the suggested selling price for this car, in GOOD shape, from a PRIVATE SELLER, is $2,065. http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...itions=#survey

So me and the guy haggled a little this morning on price. He wasn't bugding much at all. At first, he said he could take NO LESS than $3,000, even when confronted with the kelly blue book price. I like this car, and he's willing to take more pictures for me - it's just that i KNOW i'll feel ripped off if i end up paying more than $2,000-2200 for this vehicle, and as it stands now, he's only willing to come down from $3300 to $3000.

One more added caveat: I MAY have to have this vehicle shipped. THe car is located in St. Louis Missouri, and I live in Raleigh NC - that's about 700 miles, and a 12 hour trip, ONE WAY! I have a quote from a transport service that says shipping the car to me would cost $500+.

Any suggestions for me? What do you all think of the car? What do you all think of the asking price? What argument angle should I take? Any help would be great, since I'm speaking with the guy again at 5:30.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Brandon
Old 10-21-08, 09:08 AM
fiddy yen
Rookie

I don't know about the US market or these cars...

If the car is in good condition and its exactly something you want, a thought is should price really matter too much? I know there's a point in getting ripped off however i do not think that the Kelly blue book price is completely accurate based on the selling price. I view those prices listed as a trade in price if anything.

Also Seller says $3000, but chances are he'll be willing to go less probably even to $2800. You have show the buyer you are absolutely interested but have to keep budget in mind. Seller is saying $3000 because he's trying to make top dollar on the car too.

I would recommend just flying down there and driving it back for many reasons.
- you get to see the car in person and make sure its something you want. If its something you fall in love with then paying the extra on top of the kelly blue book isn't a big deal coz its something you are looking for and have had trouble locating one (don't tell the seller you are having trouble finding them that will just give him the advantage)
- By being able to bargain face to face, it could potentially give you an advantage because it shows you are interested in taking it off his hands TODAY and some people just suck at face to face bargaining. lol
- it allows you to get a mechanic to check it over to make sure that you are not going to run into problems - and again maybe give you the advantage of a lower price.

This is just my opinion, others may differ...

edit just to show an example of how the buyer might be willing to take less:
My car was advertised at $5000 CND, The buyer told me minimum $4300 and no lower, but after wheeling and dealing I closed the deal at $3600.

Quick Reply: Car Hunting/Stalking - The Lexus ES 250