ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 Steering wheel shimmy when braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 10:12 PM
brian_ka7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Steering wheel shimmy when braking

The steering wheel shakes when I brake. It doesn't do it all the time but usually. I recently got new tires/alignment so I ruled that out. If its the brakes, do I need new rotors or pads, or both?
Old 10-22-08, 08:20 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your front rotors are warped. Have them recut or resurfaced provided there is sufficient thickness to cut them. If not, replace them.

In 2003 there was a TSB that came out because the 02/03 ES's had rotor/pad metal mismatch problems. The rotors were very susecptable to warping. The TSB swapped out the pads and rotors if the car demonstrated the front end vibration noted during braking. This was especially prevelent when driving on the highway and then coming to a stop at the end of an off ramp. The old style rotors were completely silver including the hub which usually turned to a nice rust color. The new style rotors have black hubs and don't show the rust as much. Given it is now 2008 and depending on your mileage and warranty status, you may not be entitled to the TSB benefits (at least at no charge to you). Wouldn't hurt to call your dealership and inquire.

steviej
Old 10-23-08, 01:31 AM
brian_ka7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
Your front rotors are warped. Have them recut or resurfaced provided there is sufficient thickness to cut them. If not, replace them.

In 2003 there was a TSB that came out because the 02/03 ES's had rotor/pad metal mismatch problems. The rotors were very susecptable to warping. The TSB swapped out the pads and rotors if the car demonstrated the front end vibration noted during braking. This was especially prevelent when driving on the highway and then coming to a stop at the end of an off ramp. The old style rotors were completely silver including the hub which usually turned to a nice rust color. The new style rotors have black hubs and don't show the rust as much. Given it is now 2008 and depending on your mileage and warranty status, you may not be entitled to the TSB benefits (at least at no charge to you). Wouldn't hurt to call your dealership and inquire.

steviej

thanks for the info. i have 45k miles right now. i'd rather just replace the rotors. do you think it'd be cheaper to buy new rotors and pads online and have them installed somewhere?
Old 10-23-08, 07:29 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Am confused,,,,if there was a TSB on this problem (with no cost to you to replace them),, how would buying new ones and having them replaced somewhere be cheaper?? I don't own an ES, but I wold seriously look into theTSB from the dealer. Worse thing they can say is you are not covered. If not, then seek out the replacements.
Old 10-23-08, 08:04 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brian_ka7
thanks for the info. i have 45k miles right now. i'd rather just replace the rotors. do you think it'd be cheaper to buy new rotors and pads online and have them installed somewhere?
Call the dealership first. They may tell you because your car is out of warranty by time (not miles) then the TSB is not free. However, they may meet you half way on the cost. Doesn't hurt to ask. AS a good gesture they may just honor it.

You could also call the 1-800-25-LEXUS, speak to customer service and see what they can do for you in terms of covering you on the TSB.

These rotors can be had on most online Lexus parts dealerships for less than what it would cost at the stearlership's parts counter. I buy mine online and replace them myself when needed. If you can't/don't do this kind of work, you could always bring the parts to a local mechanic. They are a piece of cake to replace.

steviej