ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

replacing factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 07:27 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcwhite2
Good thread so far. I have a 98 es300 and am about to upgrade to the same HU and from what I've read it looks like bypassing the factory amp and installing an aftermarket is the way to go.

Question though - if I bypass the factory amp and install a small 4 channel for door speakers as has been suggested, then where does the power come from to power the sub and tweeters? Would it be better to buy a larger amp to power these as well or can they run off the factory amp and just have the 4 channel to power the speakers only?

Also if anyone knows where the stock amp on the 98 is located that would be appreciated. From what I see here, the 97 is in the glovebox, but wasn't sure if the 98 is the same.

ProfessorP, have you finished the installation yet? What did you wind up doing?
if you hook up the 4-channel to all the speakers, it should work.

amp should be in the same location. only other locations i can think that it would be are under the passenger seat and in the side of the trunk. sorry so short, in a hurry.
Old 11-09-08, 01:39 AM
ProfessorP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ProfessorP, have you finished the installation yet? What did you wind up doing?
I outlined a lot of my installation decisions in a thread over on the Northern California forum. To summarize, I wound up going to a place close to my house, against my better judgement since I had heard a lot of not-so-good things about the place. But I figured that this was a straightforward install so what the heck. I did go on the cheap and didn't get a 4-channel amp and connected straight from the HU to the factory speakers, bypassing the factory amp. I also installed a video bypass relay, on which apparently I got ripped off for since the guy asked for an extra $100 to install. However, the bottom-line out-the-door install price of $200 total was pretty much in line with what most of the other quotes I got...

I did ask 5 installers for quotes and specific questions about whether an additional amp was needed or not. All 5 did say that an additional amp was not needed. I'm sure each and every one of those guys would have loved to have sold me the extra amp and extra install time.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the install, though there are 3 things that could use some sort of correction. 1) I hear a faint whining sound coming out of the speakers when I accelerate my car, 2) I have about a 30% volume loss as opposed to my factory stereo and 3) there is a slight pop in the subs whenever I turn off my engine.

The AVIC-F900BT unit itself has some issues that I'll have to learn to deal with. I wish there were more direct buttons to go directly to a radio station. Right now for example, I have to press AV Source, then FM, then press one of the 3 bands, then wade through up to 6 radio presets before I can get to a particular radio station. Also, the bootup time is quite slow, over a minute, though with the 2.0 firmware upgrade that came out last week, this has been cut in half. However, the 3.3 Bluetooth firmware upgrade that came out with the 2.0 firmware upgrade did not work at all with my Treo 750. I had to downgrade back to 2.9 (luckily downgrade installs work without jumping through major hoops).
Old 11-10-08, 07:35 AM
dcwhite2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Choas
I ended up getting the whine when I put my 12s in. It was easily corrected with a ground loop isolator.
So I was re-reading this thread, and correct me if i'm wrong, but this whole conversation about whether to bypass the stock amp or not is moot if you just get a ground loop isolator to take care of the whining noise? What would be the advantage (besides better sound quality) of installing an aftermarket amp and bypassing the factory?

Seems like the easiest and least expensive option is to get the harness and connect the aftermarket HU to the factory amp and install a GLI.
Old 11-10-08, 03:11 PM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

Will this unit fit in my 97' ES300? http://www.etronics.com/p-39271-pion...-receiver.aspx
Old 11-10-08, 04:39 PM
ProfessorP
Rookie

Originally Posted by cu2cool
Will this unit fit in my 97' ES300? http://www.etronics.com/p-39271-pion...-receiver.aspx

sure it would. I was seriously considering just going with this unit until I decided that I was going to go whole hog and get navigation and a DVD player. Just make sure you get one of the double DIN kits such as the Metra one as specified earlier in the thread. Should cost you around $20.
Old 11-13-08, 10:16 PM
SheGeek
Driver School Candidate

My mom just gave me her 1992 es300 and I love love love it!! I just put seafoam in the oil (i'm getting it changed tomorrow), I'm waiting for the gas tank to empty, and I'll do the vacuum hose thing as soon as my car saavy buddy is in town. The tuner on my stereo is going out, and I'd like to put in something with a cd player and an mp3 input jack, but my mom told me that the security system is tied into the stereo. Is this true? What happens to the security system if I remove it?
Old 11-13-08, 11:34 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SheGeek
My mom just gave me her 1992 es300 and I love love love it!! I just put seafoam in the oil (i'm getting it changed tomorrow), I'm waiting for the gas tank to empty, and I'll do the vacuum hose thing as soon as my car saavy buddy is in town. The tuner on my stereo is going out, and I'd like to put in something with a cd player and an mp3 input jack, but my mom told me that the security system is tied into the stereo. Is this true? What happens to the security system if I remove it?
Nothing she is 100% incorrect. The factory stereo does have some security features I believe but it shouldn't matter I took mine out 3 times and put it back it with no problems. Oh and WELCOME TO CL!!!! Nice to have a "shegeek" I always had a thing for them lol

So I was re-reading this thread, and correct me if i'm wrong, but this whole conversation about whether to bypass the stock amp or not is moot if you just get a ground loop isolator to take care of the whining noise? What would be the advantage (besides better sound quality) of installing an aftermarket amp and bypassing the factory?

Seems like the easiest and least expensive option is to get the harness and connect the aftermarket HU to the factory amp and install a GLI.
You lose some quality with a ground loop. It wasn't a big deal for me since it was only on my 12's. As far as the advantage to an amp other than quality. You can fine tune what sounds the amp will put out and even cut out things like bass to your regular speakers and send it all you your subs. Also its LOUDER!!!
Old 07-24-10, 04:13 PM
sneakers
Driver School Candidate

need to replace my HU\ thinking to do the amp bypass, and use a single channel amp for the sub, i have 3 pre outputs, one for the woofer and the other two i was going not use, just use the hu amp to power the door speakers and an amp for the woofer only, will thia work?