ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Radio Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 08:58 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radio Project

So I would like to swap out my old radio for my 97 ES300 for a new aftermarket. The lcd is gone, and so has the lights behind the buttons. I am looking at the Pioneer FH-P8000BT or FH-P800BT (any one know what the difference is?). It offers mp3 CD playback, bluetooth handsfree, mp3 player capability, and other stuff. Smitty recommended this double DIN rack to me, http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/576. I would like to take full advantage of what this Pioneer radio has to offer. First of all, I need help with the wiring. I've included pictures (from crutchfiled.com) that shows what comes with the radio. Is there anything else I will need to hook it up to my car's speakers? Anyway to continue using the stock cd changer after I install this aftermarket, or will it be useless? I would like to somehow get the mp3 player cable and A/V cables to feed to the glove box or ashtray so I can plug in any electronic devices I may want to use. Please help me with this project as this thread will be usefull for all of us.

Sold Seperately
Old 11-17-08, 03:28 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you wont be able to use the stock cd changer by purchasing any accessories or anything liek that, but if you need help wiring up the speakers i can help you with that. you'll need to tap the wires after the amplifier located to the right of the glove compartment, meaning you'll have to extend the included harness.

another thing with running the wires, there is plenty of room all over to run the wires to where ever you need them to be. as for the microphone, i'll look around for a good spot during my commute tomorrow morning lol this is a good project and if you have any questions let me know... we're all here to help
Old 11-18-08, 08:32 PM
peter1965
Driver School Candidate

hey there cu2cool - how was the colour and shape match of the new shroud to the rest of the panels around it in the dashboard (the colour of the clock panel and vents at the top, the little panel underneath the stereo). i am keen to do what you have done but am worried about mismatching the colour and shape of the dashboard.

cheers and thanks,
peter.
Old 11-19-08, 11:34 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

Hey Es3_Ray, the wiring component is the part I am most concerened about. I don't think it should be any problem removing the stock radio or installing the new one once I get the double DIN rack. I was looking on ebay and I saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...5fInstallation

It seems that this cable would take away the need for any cutting of the wires to connect the stereo. But the power cable I still need to find out how to get it to work. I didn't even realize that the microphone had to be hooked up seperate. I thought it was something already built in the front of the radio. I wouldn't really want to tear apart the car too much to run the mic line, but if you can think of a good, unnoticeable way to do it I'm all ears. I'm probably not going to be using the usb cable function becuase I don't have an Ipod, but it's probably good to set up in case I or somebody else brings one in the future. I will need to buy a 3.5mm jack extension and run the cable to somewhere I can plug in my Sony mp3 walkman. I might just use the bluetooth stereo through my phone. I haven't seen what it would look like in my car yet, but I'm sure it'll be a little weird with a blue radio and green clock and A/C unit. Either way I think the OLED from the radio is supposed to be very bright, so it should cancel out everything else, plus it'll have more functionality then the stock radio, which is what I like.

Also now that I realize it, I don't think I need the $40 double DIN kit when I can just keep the DIN mount I have now and get this for half the price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130257865005

Links for the install and manual:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFi...nManual0228.pdf

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFi...nManual0228.pdf

Last edited by cu2cool; 11-19-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 07:45 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

I believe this takes the output signal from the radio and puts it through the stock amplifier.
i dont think this is the best route to take, but if its fine with you, then by all means: go for it.

by the looks of it that harness gives you your +12constant and +12accesory, possibly ground as well.

if you're looking for just function that would be a good way to go, but if you want something that sounds better than stock, i would say a better way to go is to use the built in amplifier and hardwire the speakers from the radio.

one more thing, if i were you i would run the usb cable. I dont think its a direct ipod connector, but a usb connection for a usb memory stick where you can put music on in folders and play it like a cd-changer. at least thats how the one i put in my dad's camry works.

its really a shame you live 5 hours north of me, otherwise i would definitely help you out with this.
Old 11-20-08, 08:33 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

So are you saying that I should cut the wires from the stock cable? Do you just twist them together? If I wanted to put the stock radio back I would have to reconnect the wires to the stock adapter?

Yes, I would like to keep the usb cable as well. Do you think it's possible to run the cables to the glove box or ashtray without making holes? Maybe if I remove the CD changer?

I was also thinking I could stick the microphone somewhere around the control panel above the key ignition using double sided tape. Or is there an easy way to run the mic cable to the visor?

Also, is there an antenna for the 97 ES? I don't see an external one outside the car. If there is one, would the cable fit that atenna input for the Pioneer radio? I was thinking of getting the HD radio adapter as well.

Last edited by cu2cool; 11-20-08 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-20-08, 08:32 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

that harness you have from ebay allows you to keep the stock harness just in case you do want to put the original radio back.

the only thing that kinda stinks is that it uses the stock amplifier built into the car(the lexus/toyota highend radios have the amplifer outside of the radio)

I havent taken apart my es to that extent, but the camry is very close, and i did run a usb cable from the back of my pioneer unit to the glove compartment without making holes, there is enough room to run things around.

the microphone to the visor isnt a bad idea, you can drop it down and run it over the cables in the driverside footwell, and run it up the weather stripping and up the A-Pillar lining then through the front of the headliner and pop it out up there. im just curious as to how much noise the microphone will pick up if there are rattles or wind noise up there.

there is an antenna, it is printed onto the rear glass. the cable will fit into the pioneer antenna port.

and i dont know much about the HD antennas
Old 12-01-08, 08:47 AM
cu2cool
Driver School Candidate

This is on sale at Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-348-_-Product

Should I go for this instead? No bluetooth functions, USB, remote, and not HD Radio ready. I think it may look better though.