ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suspension~

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 08:58 PM
ESES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension~

Hey guys, got a few question that i hope u guys can ansower.

First, has anyone lowerd their car by cutting their springs? If so, are the results good?

Second, how long does the stock shocks last (about how many km)?

Thanks~

ESES~
Old 02-24-02, 10:53 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs!
Old 02-25-02, 06:25 AM
VZV21
Rookie

Originally posted by mcelligott
Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs. Don't cut your springs!

Yeah what he said.

Basically handling may become dangerous.
Old 02-26-02, 02:56 PM
wassup
Driver School Candidate

He's right, never ever cut your springs!
Old 02-26-02, 06:03 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is dropped on B&G's and I can't tell you how mutch i love the ride compared to Eibachs or something like that. Lobo will tell you the same thing too, he had the eibachs. I think B&G's are the way to go! 1.6 drop.
Old 02-26-02, 09:26 PM
ESES
Driver

Default Cut Springs~

I'm kinda confuse now? I have another car AE86 and i talked to other ppl that told me that cut springs are not bad. They have done it with amazing results. So i'm guess is that cutting springs is only good for some cars?

ESES~
Old 02-26-02, 11:43 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Basically my friend it comes down to this…If you cut a spring it will be forced to perform in a way it was not intended. It may work to a certain extent but not ever as good as a set of springs that were designed to lower your car such as B&G’s or Eibachs. A coil has a thing called a pigtail. This is were the end of the coil wraps back tightly at the top and bends in a way to create a flat mounting surface to the strut boot, if this is cut you will never have another flat mounting surface. Sure with the pressure of the car on it, the surface will be forced to flatten out. That also means in order to get a perfectly balanced ride you will need to cut all four identically. I mean measurements down to the micron and also they will need to be set in the same way and clocked to a certain degree so the four springs are mounted correctly. Well in theory so far this sounds like it would work, but what happens when you go over a nasty bump? All four coils have now drastically shifted. Think about it…the only thing between you and the ground other then the obvious wheels is your SUSPENSION. Suspension engineering is a very complicated science that is constantly being improved and perfected. When you take a grinder to your springs you’re regressing in this science. It may ride ok for you if you’re not into cars and performance, but they will never perform to any kind of sports potential. If you want to look low then you might be satisfied. But, my question is this, If you are going to go through the trouble of lifting your car to take out your 4 springs, cut them as precise as humanly possible, set them back in, put you suspension back together and then set your car back down on your cut coils…wouldn’t it be easier if you did that but instead put in some performance coils while you have your suspension apart? They aren’t even that expensive and will totally make their value known to you as soon as you take it out for a challenging drive. They are worth saving up for. Its just not worth having to live with a bad ride or even a ride that you know should be even a little better, all just to appear lower. Lets just say that its enough of a difference from cut coils to performance coils that I can just about look at a car and distinguish at a glance between the both just by noticing how the car takes subtle bumps and dips in the road ahead of me. Now if you don’t care about ride and just want to drop your car I would hesitate to recommend heating up your stock coils and compressing them lower, but it will give you a less horrible ride then cut coils. Well I hope I helped you out, but from experience with all of the suspension mods I mentioned above, I like the way B&G’s handle. They offer a good performance, good ride and good looks. Does any one else agree with anything I have said? Or is it worth cutting stocks to save the cost of performance coils?

Again its not so mutch as if the cut coils will work or have acceptable resulst its about what worth more to you and your car in the long run.
Old 02-27-02, 01:53 AM
ESES
Driver

Default How low?

L_Sport, how low does your B&G lower your car? I have looked at some other performance coil springs before, but none of them seem to lower enough for me.
Thanks~

ESES~
Old 02-27-02, 06:05 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Originally posted by L_Sport
My car is dropped on B&G's and I can't tell you how mutch i love the ride compared to Eibachs or something like that. Lobo will tell you the same thing too, he had the eibachs. I think B&G's are the way to go! 1.6 drop.
I’m using a 1.6 inch drop, nice ride and nice look, but if you want to go lower I have seen some Sprint 1.8's out there. Remember our cars are Camary's in disguise so a Camary coil will work just as well. If you want more info I’m sure if you do searches you might even find some adjustable coil-overs for the Camary V6. Then you could set the drop as low as you want. Most of the stuff for ES is 1 inch so you might have only seen those so far, but 1.6 is a nice drop and 1.8 nice too but to low for me since I already scrape on speed bumps and steep drive ways. The 1.8 drop is made by Sprint for the Camary V6 and that is a decent company but can not compare to ride quality of B&G's but they definitely make lower springs. Remember if you buy Camary springs make sure it is for the V6 because our front coils are stiffer to hold the weight of a V6. If you put Camary 4 Cylinder coils on your ES your front bumper will hit the ground when you set your car back down.
Old 02-27-02, 06:46 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Here are some driving pics with the B&G's. Hope you can get a better idea of how it looks by this.
Old 02-27-02, 07:06 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

They didn't post the first time but here they are.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension~-b-and-g.jpg  
Old 02-27-02, 07:46 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, those B&G's look great with your wheel setup -- kinda wish i hadn't gotten the 1" drop Eibachs now.
Old 02-27-02, 08:29 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

The eibachs are good springs, and I have first hand experience with them, they handle good but lobo decided to swap them for the B&G's too. It’s just your personal preference. I don’t know if it’s a SoCal thing, but every one with an L on their hood seams to run B&G suspensions out here.
Old 02-27-02, 10:46 PM
lobo
Rookie

DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS. VERY BAD FOR CAR.

Believe me I have had first hand experience with car with cut springs, I used to work for my father at our transmission shop before I moved out 6 months ago, and I have seen springs fall out of cars when we hoisted them up because they were cut so once the pressure of the weight of the car was relieved they moved around because they weren't long enough, I have driven customers cars with cut springs, horrible ride, and more importantly it is not safe! Bad for the car, very.
Old 02-28-02, 02:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally posted by L_Sport

I’m using a 1.6 inch drop, nice ride and nice look, but if you want to go lower I have seen some Sprint 1.8's out there. Remember our cars are Camary's in disguise so a Camary coil will work just as well. If you want more info I’m sure if you do searches you might even find some adjustable coil-overs for the Camary V6. Then you could set the drop as low as you want. Most of the stuff for ES is 1 inch so you might have only seen those so far, but 1.6 is a nice drop and 1.8 nice too but to low for me since I already scrape on speed bumps and steep drive ways. The 1.8 drop is made by Sprint for the Camary V6 and that is a decent company but can not compare to ride quality of B&G's but they definitely make lower springs. Remember if you buy Camary springs make sure it is for the V6 because our front coils are stiffer to hold the weight of a V6. If you put Camary 4 Cylinder coils on your ES your front bumper will hit the ground when you set your car back down.
It's CAMRY not Camary or Camery or Camrey.

BTW, JIC Magic has a REAL adjustable coilover system for the Gen4 Camry and Solara. They will fit ES300/Windom. JIC Magic is a Japanese company so I wouldn't be surprised if the coilover systems are available on all applications of the VCV10, MCV10, MCV20 and MCV30 chassis.

Quick Reply: Suspension~