ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

[93 es300] Battery Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 09:18 PM
missdee212
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation [93 es300] Battery Light

I already know the first thing that you guys are going to say. Alternator. Well that's not it because I changed it. I don't think it's the battery either although I have yet to check it but I am. After I put on the alternator I went driving and drove with the lights on for about 2 or three hours not straight broken up. Finally when I get back home, while trying to park I get stuck in the snow. While just as I finally got out of the space I stuck in wha la the battery light came on. I just spent about 3 thousand getting another engine put in there. I truly think it is something else. Before I changed the alternator, I was driving in the snow and cold (i live in Chicago) and the battery light came on I turned off everything except the headlights, then pulled over to the side and I turned the car off myself. Tried to start it back up and it didn't come on. Sat and waited 30 mins tried again and it started right up. I personally think they wired something wrong when putting the new engine in there or the battery is not strong enough for the winter. Is there anyway I could troubleshoot to see if it is something else besides those two things. I'm not really worried because I have a year warranty parts and labor on the work they did. If someone thinks it is something else please do tell. I did notice that they put a new clamp on the negative cable for the battery, which is a fairly simple install it would take a real a-hole to screw that up, but could it be that.
Old 12-24-08, 09:27 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Check the wiring?
Voltage regulator?
Error codes?
Old 12-25-08, 01:05 AM
missdee212
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I was just out to do the diagnostic to get the error codes and it won't start I hear a click for as long as I hold it. So I believe it's the battery now because it's extremely cold outside I don't think the battery is strong enough.
Old 12-25-08, 04:49 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, severe cold weather will do in a weak battery quickly.
Old 12-25-08, 08:50 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Yes, the battery is a good starting point. Get it charged and then tested. While you're waiting for the battery to charge, I would also recomend checking the wiring, especially the grounds. Since you state that you just had the engine replaced. It is possible that they did not hook up the grounds. Make sure that the battery to engine, and the battery to chassis is good.
Old 12-25-08, 02:16 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You aren't alone on that aspect. Mine is still acting up after a battery and alternator change as well. Still currently diagnosing it sadly

Although...Lexus of MV told me to just let the car power down when it starts to turn off on itself. That way they can read any codes during the power down process. Of course, I'd rather fix the problem first than be stuck on the freeway going 80mph like I was doing last week
Old 12-27-08, 12:40 AM
missdee212
Driver School Candidate

So far so good I went and bought a brand spankin new duralast gold battery and I haven't had any problems. Oh most definitely I did not and will not allow the car to power down itself. I'm going to do some real driving all day tomorrow expressway and all. But next pay day I will go and get some diagnostics done on the electrical system and stuff just to see if they wired anything wrong. I'm praying that the new battery solved the problem because all I see is $$$$$$ deducting from my checking account when I think of having any electrical problem, but if I do have one and it's from them putting in the new engine I won't feel so bad because I won't have to pay they will.
Old 01-25-09, 12:51 AM
missdee212
Driver School Candidate

ahh so sad I have to even reply to this, I'm having problems again except no dimming lights. I was sitting in the car when the battery light came on, I cut it off and it was clicking at first BUT all the lights including the radio was working correctly, no dimming. Hopefully this will be the last thing I have to worry about with this car for a couple of months.
Old 01-25-09, 01:22 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are very fortunate. I just got my ES back from Lexus not too long ago after it completely shut down on me while I was driving it. I almost got stuck in an intersection too...super scary

It turned out to be my alternator replacement. This time, however, I'm taking out my HID fogs and putting back normal halogens just to be safe...
Old 01-25-09, 05:28 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

You have already replaced the alternator and the battery. I would strongly recomend checking the wiring, especially after having the engine replaced recently. You need to purchase a voltmeter (rat shack, or harbor freight have them for app $20 ), and start checking voltage drops. Pay close attention on the battery ground to body, and the ground to engine. Did you have the old battery tested before replacing it?
Old 01-25-09, 09:58 AM
missdee212
Driver School Candidate

No i didn't have the old one checked. I had it jump xmas day to see if it was holding a charge. let it run for 30 mins and the bat light came on; so, I just figured it was the battery. But now considering the fact the the battery light had been coming on that past week it probably had just been killed by what ever is causing the problem. I should have checked it. I did at least attempt to get it(the old bat) checked, I went to 3 autozones and all of their machines where not working. but as I said I'm just going to go ahead and take it back to the shop that put it in have them recheck their wiring etc because all work etc is under warranty for a year. I won't have to pay anything if they are found to be at fault. Which most likely they are, because I didn't have this problem until this recent work was done.
Old 02-20-09, 01:17 AM
missdee212
Driver School Candidate

I have an update. Went and got it checked and a big fat NOTHING. No battery light came on they had the car on for about 2 hours straight and nothing. He did say that he didn't too much like the charge on the battery, and if it comes on again notice the conditions. Well I've noticed the conditions now. Every time it's cold like in the teens the car either won't start at all or after a 40 mins or less of driving the battery light comes on. I think it that "autozone special" of a battery(as he said) that's giving me the problems. I feel bad because I spent probably about 215 for the most cold crank amps having battery.
Old 02-25-09, 10:43 AM
Mmarinich
Driver

There are some intermitent problems with alternators. All i would suggest before taking a 'new' alternator home from the parts store is to have it bench tested before leaving. In my shop i have seen too many new or rebuilt alternators test bad, so save yourself the trouble and have it bench tested.