ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Coolant equivalents?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 01:07 PM
mildawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant equivalents?

Hello guys, the ppl at autozone were to uneducated to answer my question and the nearest Lexus/Toyota dealer is 60miles from me so i figured i could come and ask the basis here. So, i have a 2000 Es300(VMI or w/e version of the engine) and my coolant is on low, whats some equivalent coolant can i get for "TOYOTA Long Life Coolant"?
Old 01-04-09, 06:53 PM
EScrow
Driver School Candidate

Toyota Super Long Life.
Old 01-04-09, 07:22 PM
mildawg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EScrow
Toyota Super Long Life.
which i still would need to go to a toyota/lexus dealer to buy... im asking for more generic ones like the dexcools from autozone.. which one is the best one? pic/product # any info would be nice

edit: im not being a smartass.. my bad if it sounds that way
Old 01-04-09, 08:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

Toyota Super Long Life.
No that is not correct...

You should not mix Toyota 'Long Life' coolant (Red) with Toyota Super Long Life coolant (Pink) already....trust me, my Lexus dealer refused to put it in my previous 2001 ES 300....they told me they are not compatible.

mild....I would suggest making the trip (put some water in the coolant recovery tank) & make the trip to the Lexus/Toyota dealer.....do you know if you are due for a coolant flush anyways as opposed to a 'top up'?

How low are you on coolant?
Old 01-04-09, 09:41 PM
mildawg
Driver School Candidate

its just below the Low line aaaand i dont need coolant flush i just need to top it up so it wont suck in air, thats my major concern.. the coolant looks orange/red in color... my father says there a green/yellow coolant thats compatible with all other coolants and it can be mixed but i dont wanna **** up with my car u kno what i mean
Old 01-04-09, 10:44 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mildawg
its just below the Low line aaaand i dont need coolant flush i just need to top it up so it wont suck in air, thats my major concern.. the coolant looks orange/red in color... my father says there a green/yellow coolant thats compatible with all other coolants and it can be mixed but i dont wanna **** up with my car u kno what i mean
When was the last time you had a coolant flush? (time & mileage).

My suggestion was to kill two+ birds with one stone, have a coolant flush with Toyota Long Life (Red) coolant (bring them a 1 gallon jug of distilled water - about a buck at your supermarket), & at the same time have the dealer inspect everything to see if there are any noticable leaks & possible related issues....they will burp the system & your good for a number of years.

The coolant level you mention is not that critical...you can simply top it up with water only (it's a very small amount - check your owners manual to varify the total capacity to understand what I mean) & monitor the level over the next week to 10 days.

I would not mix different brands of coolants on your ES if I were you (I am very aware that other coolants purchased at auto parts stores claim to be compatible & strongly advise against it). Check your owners manual (do not use Dexcool or equivalent coolant).

Long term...top up with water & make the 60 mile trip to the dealer get a coolant flush done (should be only about $100 or in the ballpark).....ask them for the remaining new coolant (should be about a half gallon jug) so you can keep it at home in case you need to top off.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 01-04-09 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-04-09, 10:59 PM
mildawg
Driver School Candidate

alright man, thanks for the help i think ill just do that before school starts next week cuz i drive 60miles daily to and from school.. thanks for the help again
Old 01-05-09, 06:31 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by mildawg
alright man, thanks for the help i think ill just do that before school starts next week cuz i drive 60miles daily to and from school.. thanks for the help again
No worries bud...let us know how you make out.
Old 01-05-09, 10:32 AM
LS400rocksthewo
Driver School Candidate

i have a 93 es lastweek for like an entire week my radiator hose had a gash i out some duck tape and it worked fine untill it went very low on water and started to steam and stoped cooling the car all together, the temperture went up but never hit red

anyways now i keep hearing sucking noise and the reservore is allways empty after a day of drivinh and i fill it up all the way
Old 01-05-09, 03:13 PM
EScrow
Driver School Candidate

How would a person know if they have Toyota red or pink in their system? Red diluted 50/50 should be pink anyway, and if they're not compatible, the system would have to be completely flushed until clear before switching from one to the other.
Old 01-05-09, 08:20 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

How would a person know if they have Toyota red or pink in their system? Red diluted 50/50 should be pink anyway, and if they're not compatible, the system would have to be completely flushed until clear before switching from one to the other.
The red coolant is a cherry red colour....with or without a 50/50 mixture....the pink coolant is bright pink in colour...not even close to being similar.

You won't really do anything if your simply topping up your coolant recovery tank on the L to F mark.....as a temporary fix.....but I would not do a complete flush with it.

I stress to people to read their owners manuals carefully......this will prevent problems & $$$ in possible repairs. A proper coolant flush at your Lexus/Toyota dealer should be in the $100 range give or take (or buy the correct amount....usually a 1 gallon jug of Toyota coolant & a 1 gallon jug of distilled water & take it to your trusted auto shop...fluid capacities are in the owners manual). Why take a chance?
Old 01-05-09, 08:23 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just curious, but when you car is at it's normal running temperature, about where is the needle on the temperature gauge? about half way
Old 01-05-09, 08:35 PM
LS400rocksthewo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmd93
Just curious, but when you car is at it's normal running temperature, about where is the needle on the temperature gauge? about half way
very very slightly below half way and when i drive aggressively it covers the halfway mark

i was watching the 993 owners video and in there it was saying its ok for oild temperature to go as long as it dosent go into red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdi9kwx9hjs watch from 3.45