ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hope to get some answers please - Another offset thread 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09 | 02:20 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hope to get some answers please - Another offset thread 3rd Gen

Okay I basically understand the whole idea behind offset, being that it is the distance from the centre of the actual wheel to the mounting face of the wheel (i.e. the place where the cap / logo would normally be. I understand that the offset for my ES300 (MY97) is +38mm to +45mm.

If I understand this correctly, it would mean that the 38mm would be a smaller distance from the centre of the wheel to the mounting face of the wheel. I am also now guessing that if I had a wheel with an offset that was +10mm, this would indicate to me that the wheel would have more of a "dish" to the rim, with the face being fairly close to the centre of the wheel. I suspect that this would be where the correct offset comes in, as you need that additional space to allow for the brake calipers to clear the inside of the wheel yeah? Or does that not matter, as there is still the other half of the wheel that is still surrounding the caliper?

So I want to eventually get some wheels for my ES, what is the lowest offset I can go without having to do things like rolling guards, weird offsets etc (i.e. make any other changes). Also here in Australia we can not put on spacers as it is illegal. So I want to put on a set of 17 * 7's, possibly 18 * 8's. Will the width of the rim then also determine what offset can be run on the car, and what I can get.

I would love to one day get a set of G35 rims (as they have the same PCD) and I have seen some on 1 ES300.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-06-09 | 04:32 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

depends on if you want the 17x7 or 18x8. then you decide on the offset.
Old 01-06-09 | 06:34 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Or 18.8.5" lol. If you don't want spacers you have to get the offset PERFECT which is no easy feat so you might be looking at some custom rims which wont be cheap.
Old 01-06-09 | 08:52 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

So what are the known offsets that would work with a 17 * 7 or an 18 * 8 wheel?
Old 01-07-09 | 11:48 AM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

well my fronts are 18x8 +38 in the front and they fit fine but sits in alot so I am gonna put some 25mm spacers on em to have them pushed out some and cambered. might get you somewhere. Go like in between there somewhere? like +20-25? someone correct me if I am wrong. someone here has to be as helpful as they were to me! jump in on this!
Old 01-07-09 | 03:08 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

will the car be lowered any?
Old 01-07-09 | 03:56 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I am not envisgaing the car being lowered at this stage. If I were to lower it though it would be about an inch or so. Either way if I did ever lower it then I would look into adjustable height coil overs.

Also I can't add spacers as it is illegal here in Australia. So would like the wheels to sit in too much, probably body lined would be the preferred look.
Old 01-07-09 | 05:53 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by draco
I am not envisgaing the car being lowered at this stage. If I were to lower it though it would be about an inch or so. Either way if I did ever lower it then I would look into adjustable height coil overs.

Also I can't add spacers as it is illegal here in Australia. So would like the wheels to sit in too much, probably body lined would be the preferred look.
If you want the wheels to sit close to flush w/ the fenders, then you will eventually have to shave the rears and roll the fronts. This is taking into consideration that you will get coils and will have no wheel well gap. If this is what you are looking for, I say go for an 8.5 wide with a +20 to +25 offset. This will sit darn near close to flush if not flush. NOw if you only plan to lower maybe an inch or keep it stock, I say go for a 8.5 with a +35 offset so it doesn't look like it is poking out too much.

you should be able to find rims 8.5 wide with +35 offset pretty easy as they do pre-make wheels in this size/offset. going lower offsets will require custom wheels which may cost a bit more depending. any other questions, just ask away.
Old 01-07-09 | 05:56 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by draco

If you want the wheels to sit close to flush w/ the fenders, then you will eventually have to shave the rears and roll the fronts. This is taking into consideration that you will get coils and will have no wheel well gap. If this is what you are looking for, I say go for an 8.5 wide with a +20 to +25 offset. This will sit darn near close to flush if not flush. NOw if you only plan to lower maybe an inch or keep it stock, I say go for a 8.5 with a +35 offset so it doesn't look like it is poking out too much.

you should be able to find wheels that are 8.5 wide with +35 offset pretty easy as they do pre-make alot of wheels with those specs. If you go lower on offsets, you will most likely have to get custom wheels, which may cost a bit more. any other questions, just ask away.
Old 01-07-09 | 06:21 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info.

If I went 8 wide with the same offset, I suspect that it will sit slightly more in but still be close enough to the guards to not look like the wheels are sitting in?

If I went 7 wide, would I then need to ask for a bigger offset to push the wheel out more towards the guard, (I think I am slowly getting the whole offset thing) and hence look for a 7 wide with an offset like +35 to +45?