ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

newbie to site and sqeaking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 10:48 AM
donnie boy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie to site and sqeaking steering wheel

My 3es300 steering wheel sqeaks especially when cold. Noise sounds like plastic on plastic or leather. Not metal. Noise comes from right behind the steering wheel. Slow turn low tone. Faster turn higher tone. I can almost make it talk. lol. Should I take wheel off and look? I found a thread on removing steering wheel but could not get the pis. Do I need html on or is there another problem?
Old 01-19-09, 11:18 AM
98_es300
Driver School Candidate

I've got the same issue with my steering wheel donnie boy. You are right, turn the wheel just slow enough or fast and its almost like the car is talking to you! Im tempted to look take apart the steering wheel and see if I can fix the issue (maybe apply some silicon spray?!?) but i havent had the time.
Old 01-19-09, 11:18 AM
98_es300
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the site by the way!
Old 01-19-09, 02:37 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

I would especially be interested in this as well, as I have the same problem!
Old 01-19-09, 03:39 PM
97'ES
Driver

This must be pretty common, personally it's really embarassing.
Old 01-19-09, 09:14 PM
mildawg
Driver School Candidate

i agree it is embarrassing but it does it just when its cold.. i wanna see this topic resolved cuz ive got the same problem
Old 01-19-09, 11:13 PM
HoTLeXuS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donnie boy
My 3es300 steering wheel sqeaks especially when cold. Noise sounds like plastic on plastic or leather. Not metal. Noise comes from right behind the steering wheel. Slow turn low tone. Faster turn higher tone. I can almost make it talk. lol. Should I take wheel off and look? I found a thread on removing steering wheel but could not get the pis. Do I need html on or is there another problem?
Hello everyone. I had this same exact problem with my 99 es300. It is very simple and easy to fix. All you need to do is get wd-40(spray) and spray under the steering wheel. You are going to have to lay down with your legs outside the car and your face facing under the steering wheel. To be exact where to spray, you need lay down and literally have your face almost touching the brake pedal and the acceleration pedal, then look up from there, you will see many components of the steering wheel. Spray a lot of wd-40. Have the car started and have some one turn the steering wheel all the way left and all the right while you spray all the components underneath. Keep spraying and have the person keep turning the steering while you are spraying. Make sure to get all the components. Do this about 4-6 times and then you should be good. If anyone is confused about where to exactly spray, let me know.
Old 01-20-09, 06:34 PM
donnie boy
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't the WD-40 drip down all over you and the floor?
However, I'm willing to take one for the team. Tomorrow, I will post results///

Oh, and on my original post I meant "pics".. very embarrassed.
Better download IEspell checker

Last edited by donnie boy; 01-20-09 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 07:08 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Yeah, I was wondering about that...your face must have been a mess with WD-40! Pics would really help if you can provide them! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-09, 08:39 PM
HoTLeXuS
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't the WD-40 drip down all over you and the floor?
However, I'm willing to take one for the team. Tomorrow, I will post results///

Oh, and on my original post I meant "pics".. very embarrassed.
Better download IEspell checker
when you spray the wd-40, you have to move your head around so that the wd-40 wont spill on ur face...But the wd-40 will drip on the floor so I recommend you put a piece of cardboard or any other material to cover the floor. I will provide the pics asap for everyone....And again, I did this and this fixed my problem...This was recommended to me by my mechanic...He said occasionally, the steering components get a little rusty or dirty and they start to make the squeeky noise....you have to apply wd-40 for it to loosen.
Old 01-21-09, 07:40 PM
donnie boy
Driver School Candidate

Default NO MOre Sqeek

I'm done.. got head down by brake and turned wheel. I heard it and saw it immediately.
My sqeek was coming right from the point where the steering shaft goes through the floor board. The shaft is coupled with a rubber bushing and it meets a rubber gasket.
I WD-40ed it. I hope the petroleums dont harm the rubber. There was no warning on the can. Maybe a lithium might be better but, WD-40 did the job. I did put down a rag to catch the drips. I did not need to spray back up towards the wheel. I will try to post pics. Thanks hotlexus
Attached Thumbnails newbie to site and sqeaking steering wheel-dsc_1093.jpg  
Old 01-21-09, 09:47 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw this thread a little late haha. WELCOME TO CL.. I had the same problem with mines and I did almost the same thing with mines haha. I took my steering wheel off though and used WD-40 first and put some oil to lube it and it was fine.
Old 01-21-09, 11:57 PM
HoTLeXuS
Driver School Candidate

I'm done.. got head down by brake and turned wheel. I heard it and saw it immediately.
My sqeek was coming right from the point where the steering shaft goes through the floor board. The shaft is coupled with a rubber bushing and it meets a rubber gasket.
I WD-40ed it. I hope the petroleums dont harm the rubber. There was no warning on the can. Maybe a lithium might be better but, WD-40 did the job. I did put down a rag to catch the drips. I did not need to spray back up towards the wheel. I will try to post pics. Thanks hotlexus
Hey donnie boy, I am glad your problem is solved. WD-40 would do no harm to the rubbers, be assured (you can use wd-40 for almost anything). Sometimes when it is too cold, the squeak might occasionally come back because of the weather, but do the same again and the issue will be resolved.
Old 01-22-09, 12:00 AM
HoTLeXuS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99es3
Just saw this thread a little late haha. WELCOME TO CL.. I had the same problem with mines and I did almost the same thing with mines haha. I took my steering wheel off though and used WD-40 first and put some oil to lube it and it was fine.
Hey 99es300, where did you purchase the led lights for the corner, reverse, interior etc etc. I would like to purchase those too for my 99es300. Are they good quality? Cause some are not good quality and die out pretty quick. Let me know. Thanks
Old 01-22-09, 11:17 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

Hey, great pic! It's 13 degrees here in NY, so I'm going to wait in spring to do this. Thanks to all for the replies!