ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 es 300

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09 | 02:52 PM
jayjay6888
Driver School Candidate

Default 97 es 300

i want to install an aftermarket radio and have done it in plenty of other cars. i just can seam to get it to work in a 1997 es 300 and i was wondering if these model cars have a radio security code? also do they take a special wiring harness.
Old 02-05-09 | 05:38 PM
saregister
Driver School Candidate

hmmm...i was hoping there would be some replies on this thread. I just bought a 97 ES300 as well, and I already know the factory stereo that is in it is just not going to cut it for me, so I'm already looking at double din units to throw in there but |I'm not positive about the wiring yet. Surely we aren't the only people looking to put a custom head unit into a 1997...Are there any tips for us DIY installers here? Anyone? Anywhere?
Old 02-05-09 | 06:20 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

I can try to get some pictures of mines. You should get the harness for it. comes with 2 1 to power and the other for sound. If you done it on other cars it should bt pretty easy. Just matching wires. If you want to do the Bypass someone else can jump in on this. I did it to mines but I forgot how haha..
Old 02-05-09 | 07:40 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

if you can wait till saturday, I will be taking out my system and redoing some things. I have the aftermarket harness, a double din unit, and a set of subs to go with it. I also bypassed the stock amp. I'll try and get pictures up asap.
Old 02-06-09 | 09:15 PM
Pyroibw
Pole Position

when i did my head unit, i just ran a new constant and ground strait from the battery, then tapped into the red wire on the bigger harness that goes into the stock radio. id go out and take a pic of it for you, but there is SOOOO much stuff behind the headunit and was a real pain to get it to fit.
Old 02-07-09 | 06:32 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Why does the amp have to be bypassed? What will happen if you don't? Also can it be utilised as a sub/amp with an aftermarket stereo (assuming just a amp on wire is connected).

A harness would be able to be used and it makes it a lot easier than if you were to try and strip the wires inside the car. What harness fits? I know when I had my SC, I could use an MR2/Camry harness and that worked a treat (pretty much plug and play).
Old 02-07-09 | 07:25 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by draco
Why does the amp have to be bypassed? What will happen if you don't? Also can it be utilised as a sub/amp with an aftermarket stereo (assuming just a amp on wire is connected).

A harness would be able to be used and it makes it a lot easier than if you were to try and strip the wires inside the car. What harness fits? I know when I had my SC, I could use an MR2/Camry harness and that worked a treat (pretty much plug and play).
you get alot of noise if you don't bypass the stock amp. The noise gets progessively louder as your rpm's get higher.
Old 02-07-09 | 07:58 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

So the stock amp can not be made to run with a new aftermarket unit at all then?
Old 02-07-09 | 08:28 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

So the stock amp can not be made to run with a new aftermarket unit at all then?
I'm not going to say you can't because someone will find a way, but so far, I don't think anyone on this forum has. Its much easier to just bypass the stock amp. You lose the rear deck speaker but it really doesn't make that much of a difference since I will be putting in a set of subwoofers to compensate.
Old 02-07-09 | 08:44 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

True, I just want to use that speaker as it's there and my boot space would be preserved. Looks like I might have to bypass the amp, install a smaller amp and hide in the boot somewhere and then just connect the sub and amp using the aftermarket HU. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-09 | 10:42 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

True, I just want to use that speaker as it's there and my boot space would be preserved. Looks like I might have to bypass the amp, install a smaller amp and hide in the boot somewhere and then just connect the sub and amp using the aftermarket HU. Thanks for the info.
most aftermarket decks have enough power coming from them to power the stock speakers. I'm powering all my speakers from the stock deck and its more than enough. You don't need to install another amp unless you're really really looking for the sound quality. For the everyday listener, the aftermarket deck should have plenty power for the speakers
Old 02-07-09 | 11:08 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

hey PlatES300, thanks for the info. I have installed a few systems to my previous cars and most of them have been fine. I believe the general "standard" these days in 4 * 45W, but the reason for the rear sub is to add that extra bass (hence why some people will use the bootwell to install some subs). I found in the SC, that the rear parcel shelf sub suited my needs quite well, so will probably end up doing this again on the ES. I know I could probably put in 6 * 9's in the shelf, but will probably just use the sub instead.
Old 02-09-09 | 09:43 AM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Default Unwanted stock radio 4sale?

Hey those who swapped stock with new, I am in need of stock in good sahpe. My radio's (97 es300) display is all messed up. LCD shows garbage.
Let me know if anyone of you wants to get rid of (or sell) yours.

Chris
Old 02-09-09 | 12:48 PM
97'ES
Driver

Just a quick question, what is the original radio security code? Are they all different?
Old 02-19-09 | 09:48 PM
saregister
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered my Eclipse AVN 6620 from crutchfield last night. It is coming with a wiring harness for a factory amp. Even though the harness is made to utilize the amp, should i still bypass it? I've got a pair of 10" subs i'm going to put in the back eventually, but that has to wait until i find a different amp to use for them, so i'd ideally like all of my speakers to work until then.

Quick Reply: 97 es 300