ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help... Woman!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 11:01 AM
NikSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... Woman!

yeah yeah... well, i just got my ES3 up and running after it sat for about 3 years. quick info... got a rebuilt tranny in it then sat... now is the only time i got it to really run long enough to realize, ive got problems. my main concern is the tranny or hopefully something less of a headache. the first shift (1st gear) is kinda rough, like a jerk? then the rest is pretty smooth. what could it be?? and i noticed this morning when i was on the expressway, i hit 80mph and the rpm stayed up to 5k... i noticed that that doesnt happen all the time. could it be the solenoid? which one do i cahnge?? there are 6?? (i called lexus bayridge and said so) it would be great if anyone out there that im close enough to for me to perhaps borrow their solenoid to just check which ones are no good rather than me getting all 6 and finding out only one is bad?? i know this is a lot to ask for but i am desperate. i cannot afford to purchase all 6. i am in Staten island so anyone? any advice is much appreciated... thanks CL
Old 02-05-09, 01:21 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well unfortunately I'm a bit far from you to help you out on the testing issue. But what I can say is that, if you havn't run the transmission in and it's been rebuilt recently, you shouldn't be running it past around 3000rpm (so I have been told) but I don't even think that is very worth while information, nor do I totally back it. Secondly, if it hasn't been run in much, than it could just be that causing the gear shift to be rough. How you got to 5000rpm and sat there with a new transmission dazzles me.
Old 02-06-09, 11:46 AM
NikSC
Driver School Candidate

i just got back from the shop i got the tranny rebuilt... he was more concerned with the high rpm at higher speed. apparantly, it was not going passed 3rd gear. he said it "might" be the valve body..?? and if i get that fixed, it "might" also fix the rough shifting into 1st. make any sense???
Old 02-06-09, 12:56 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, if the valve body has a crack in it somewhere and the trans is losing pressure (it uses hydraulic prssure to shift gears) in the VB, it could very well be the reason. the higher the gear, the more pressure it takes to shift. Also if there is a bad solenoid on 3-4 gear, that would cause it too. Either way, its a fast, easy, and fairly inexpensive fix. I would say you could be in and out for less than $400.
Old 02-11-09, 12:31 PM
NikSC
Driver School Candidate

went to a tranny place lastnight. said it might be knock sensor (which is one of the codes) and thats why its not showing any tranny codes. will see...