ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 es300, when rpm is round 2 it vibrates. check engine blink, thx

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 02:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by idream08
good day to everyone, I went to autozone and the code is P0301 he said it was a misfire, he said something up the 1st cylinder spark plug is going bad or something and that a tune-up will fix the problem....i was trying to ask a little more but he seemed to be in a rush.
You don't need a tuneup. It might have just been a bunch of bad gas or other variance. The coil in question is on the rear bank furthest to the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails 98 es300, when rpm is round 2 it vibrates. check engine blink, thx-img_2041a.jpg  
Old 02-12-09, 02:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Right now, I'd just sit tight and see if you encounter any further issues.
Old 02-12-09, 02:40 PM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Lexmex your great! i'm a little confused, i guess i'm sort of paranoid. why do you say i don't need a tune-up and why did he say the spark plug on the first cylinder or something? Also the bad gas thingy, i only use premium, for the past month i've been using the Shell Power thing. Is bad gas still possible? Also it only did it when the rpm was at 2 (that shake thing where it feels like i'm riding over a bad bump). I'll look at the coil tomorrow, if it's bad, how much does the part and labor for something like that run? thanks
Old 02-12-09, 03:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

thanks Lexmex your great! i'm a little confused, i guess i'm sort of paranoid. why do you say i don't need a tune-up and why did he say the spark plug on the first cylinder or something? Also the bad gas thingy, i only use premium, for the past month i've been using the Shell Power thing. Is bad gas still possible? Also it only did it when the rpm was at 2 (that shake thing where it feels like i'm riding over a bad bump). I'll look at the coil tomorrow, if it's bad, how much does the part and labor for something like that run? thanks
Wait to see if it pops up again. I've rarely seen an issue where it's the plug, barring a bad gap or really dirty (coated with oil) and then you'd be having other issues (like a/f sensor issues, too). It generally is the ignition coil itself. Very easy to remove and it's held on by a 10 mm bolt and you just unhook the electrical connector at the top.

Here's a coil here.

At the dealer, I think this one cost about $125 USD.

One of our CL vendor's L-Tuned parts has it in their OEM section here,

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214915

Search under 1998 Lexus ES300 and then type coil in the search box and that should help, price was $76.25.
Attached Thumbnails 98 es300, when rpm is round 2 it vibrates. check engine blink, thx-ignition_coil.jpg  
Old 02-12-09, 03:42 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

try here its cheaper

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=1&catalogid=2
Old 02-12-09, 04:09 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

better hope it's something simple...my 99 maxima did that and it turned out to be a headgasket.
Old 02-13-09, 12:44 PM
idream08
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
better hope it's something simple...my 99 maxima did that and it turned out to be a headgasket.
Lexmex do you think he's (^) right? I have noticed a slight clicking sound when I crank my car up...How do you know if it's a gasket? is there any precautions I can take? Today the car did that slight shake when the rpm was at 2. It usually does it when the rpm is on 2 if I'm going sort of slow--like riding near 2 on the rpm. if it's a gas issue, i have half of tank left. Should I run that out or fill it up now with gas from another station? thanks
Old 02-13-09, 01:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Lexmex do you think he's (^) right? I have noticed a slight clicking sound when I crank my car up...How do you know if it's a gasket? is there any precautions I can take? Today the car did that slight shake when the rpm was at 2. It usually does it when the rpm is on 2 if I'm going sort of slow--like riding near 2 on the rpm. if it's a gas issue, i have half of tank left. Should I run that out or fill it up now with gas from another station? thanks
I have issues sometimes in my own RX when I run the tank low, same goes for my girlfriend's expedition. I used to get a lot of issues back in Mexico because the gas was full of garbage.

I wouldn't worry about a head gasket at this time, the check engine light would be coming up more often.

If you are under 1/4 tank, probably best to fill up.
Old 02-19-09, 12:27 PM
idream08
Rookie

Lexmex do you think he's (^) right? I have noticed a slight clicking sound when I crank my car up...How do you know if it's a gasket? is there any precautions I can take? Today the car did that slight shake when the rpm was at 2. It usually does it when the rpm is on 2 if I'm going sort of slow--like riding near 2 on the rpm......................other than that the car is riding very smooth and normal. but, that little slight clicking worries me a little. also the slight shake when the rpm gets around 2. and could that coil be the reason for any of this? thanks to all for the advice and responses.
Old 02-19-09, 01:47 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Lexmex do you think he's (^) right? I have noticed a slight clicking sound when I crank my car up...How do you know if it's a gasket? is there any precautions I can take? Today the car did that slight shake when the rpm was at 2. It usually does it when the rpm is on 2 if I'm going sort of slow--like riding near 2 on the rpm......................other than that the car is riding very smooth and normal. but, that little slight clicking worries me a little. also the slight shake when the rpm gets around 2. and could that coil be the reason for any of this? thanks to all for the advice and responses.
hey idream08, i am having similar problems right now with my 02 ES300 and Lexmex is helping me alot with trouble shooting... did you clear out those codes? or did it go away on its own?
I've got P0300,0301,0302,0303,0304,0305,0171,1130.... same thing flashing CEL, and jerks here and there.... trying to figure out what i need to do...
with help of lexmex, suspecting coils, maf sensor, fuel injector, or air/fuel ratio sensor......