ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

can they buff this out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 08:31 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can they buff this out?

just got my car back from the dealer last night... and this morning found these scratches, scuff marks on front fender and bumper.. called them and they told me to bring it in so they can buff it out... will these come off by buffing it? also found scratch on rear doors as well but not sure if its from the dealer or not.... i didn't notice any scratches like that before taking it in... will they deny that it was their fault(rear door scratch)??

Old 02-25-09, 08:53 AM
pestleman0
Driver

It really does make me sad that the dealers have no respect for your car. I have new scratches on my car from the dealer about 75% of the time when it is in. How difficult can it be?
Old 02-25-09, 10:33 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonami
also found scratch on rear doors as well but not sure if its from the dealer or not.... i didn't notice any scratches like that before taking it in... will they deny that it was their fault(rear door scratch)??
I just had a look in my crystal ball and it told me that your dealership will deny that the rear door scratch was their fault, but the good news is, they will be able to buff out the other scuffs.
Old 02-25-09, 10:40 AM
LexGrl702
Lead Lap

wow, those are big marks! When you take your car to the dealer, don't you do a walk around and mark any previous scratches? I always clean my car before going to the dealer and do a walk around with a service person. They have a little paper with the car on it to check off any previous scratches. That is unacceptable and a good Lexus dealer wouldn't do that to your car....time for a change!
Old 02-25-09, 11:12 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

thanks guys... i totally forgot about their paper where they check off damages before they write up... i am gonna take pictures of other scratch on a rear door today and post it... you guys let me know how bad other one is...
Old 02-25-09, 11:55 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

You think they can buff out the ones on the bumper? I'd be really interested to know what can be used to get those scratches out then as they are on my bumper too, but was afraid to mess with it until I find out what can be used.
Old 02-25-09, 01:00 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

here are the ones on my rear quarter panel and rear door.... this is really ticking me off...

Old 02-25-09, 05:16 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Wow, I really feel your pain. I'd be upset too.
Old 02-25-09, 10:49 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't be too bad. You might be able to get rid of it by buffing it straight, although personally I would touch up paint it, sand, then buff it to blend it in more. If they do a quality job it'll be like it never happened. My RX was keyed in the past and I did the process stated above. It looks brand new now. I was surprised because metallics don't tend to blend well with their touch up paints
Old 02-26-09, 08:51 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

got it done this morning... it came out okay, they put little touch up on the rear door and buffed out most of it on bumper and fender area... took them only 30 minutes so quality isn't body-shoplike but it is somewhat acceptable.. i will take some pics tonight whne i get home and show you guys~
Old 02-26-09, 12:34 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Odd, touch up paint is usually on there for a recommended 3+ days for it to harden before it gets buffed off. IME, if it doesn't harden, when you buff it, the paint shoots out of the scratch. I wonder how they did it
Old 02-26-09, 02:41 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Odd, touch up paint is usually on there for a recommended 3+ days for it to harden before it gets buffed off. IME, if it doesn't harden, when you buff it, the paint shoots out of the scratch. I wonder how they did it
It sounds like they did it the "fly at it and hope for the best" way...
Old 02-26-09, 03:40 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

i think they buffed it first than applied light coat of touch up...
Old 02-26-09, 10:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Buffed first then applied? Does that mean you can still see where it was? If thats the case, bring it back to them and raise hell! Thats not acceptable if it was their fault!
Old 02-27-09, 01:50 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Isacc,

Would be looking most forward to a DIY on the technique you described above!

Quick Reply: can they buff this out?