ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rad Hose Blew Off 3 times in past week

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 09:45 AM
Merritt8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rad Hose Blew Off 3 times in past week

I never had a problem with my 93 lexus then I got my oil changed and drove it about 50 miles one way. (enough to really get hot) As soon as I stepped out of the car I heard a hose blow and steam came from the hood. I looked and the bottom Rad hose blew off. It didnt bust but it blew off of the radiator itself. The clamps were the pinch type and not eh screw type. The car temp guage did not say it was hot. I let it cool then put it back on and refilled. Everything was fine for about a week and then it blew off again Thursday night (fixed again) and then Friday night (fixed again and put screw type clamp on it). After getting on here an reading up there is a lot of talk. This is what I have done so far:
1-Put screw type clamp on bottom hose
2-Found and connected harness from back of PS pump for fan
3-Jumped E1 & OP1 to test (good)

*I haven't drove it since its snowing here in Ga......LOL
*I bought a new thermostat but didn't install it yet cause it will take a minute and trying to avoid if not needed.
*I bought 2 new caps but didn't install yet.

Please lmk your thoughts. Thx
Old 03-01-09, 10:22 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is either the hose itself, of the neck on the radiator where the hose goes on damaged in any way? I've never heard of this happening, espetially if the temp guage is reading good.

In all honesty, I'd start with simply replacing the hoses AND the OEM clamps. Sounds liek the clamp itself has gotten metal fatigue and is not as tight as it should be.
Old 03-01-09, 10:31 AM
Merritt8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I have been told they will blow off if over heating and or if the caps are bad. I replaced the clamp with the screw type but the oem one was very strong as it was a pain to pinch and put on each time. From the outside everything seems to look good. I'm curious as to if a thermostat would cause this to happen?

Originally Posted by ASG14
Is either the hose itself, of the neck on the radiator where the hose goes on damaged in any way? I've never heard of this happening, espetially if the temp guage is reading good.

In all honesty, I'd start with simply replacing the hoses AND the OEM clamps. Sounds liek the clamp itself has gotten metal fatigue and is not as tight as it should be.
Old 03-01-09, 11:28 AM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Anything that overheats the car can cause it, but your temp guage SHOULD have showed hot. Thats the odd part about it.

One other thing. On the plastic neck on the radiator where the hose conencts to, there should be a lip on the end that acts as a safety to stop it. Is the end of that undamaged?
Old 03-01-09, 11:36 AM
Merritt8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASG14
Anything that overheats the car can cause it, but your temp guage SHOULD have showed hot. Thats the odd part about it.

One other thing. On the plastic neck on the radiator where the hose conencts to, there should be a lip on the end that acts as a safety to stop it. Is the end of that undamaged?
The lip shows NO damage. I was worried about the screw type clamp in case the lip and pinch clamp was a safe guard so it can pop off if need be to save something else. If my thermostat is bad or stuck open or closed would it show hot or not? It goes to the middle of the gauge rather quickly after starting but stays there. thx
Old 03-01-09, 11:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

This happened with my wife's M3 and unfortunately (in her case at least) was a symptom of the head gasket going bad and the cooling system getting overpressurized. In her car the hose went bad and she ripped two of the seams on the BMW plastic overflow container.

Wasn't long after that happening 2 or 3 times that it went fully; started seeing moisture out the tail pipe and spike in engine temps.

Hopefully this isn't the cause for your issues, but wanted to post so that you don't continue to drive the car if you see symptoms of overheating or lots of white smoke coming out the exhaust.
Old 03-01-09, 01:08 PM
Merritt8
Driver School Candidate

No white smoke
No spike in Temp
No oil in Coolant
No coolant in oil
Old 03-01-09, 06:26 PM
capnfred
Rookie

just athought, what is the normal system pressure for the car, should be stamped on the radiator cap, 14 psi should not blow off a hose, and anything above that should vent, so my train of thought leans towards the vent being clogged, not letting the system vent when needed, from what I have read the v6 engine is prone to blowing the head gasket, in the vicinity of number 6, soooo with that in mind, with engine cold, take the radiator cap off, start the engine and let it warm up to normal temp. After the T-stat opens watch the coolant in the neck of the radiator to see if there are any bubbles..... not very high tech, but a good indication of combustion gases getting into the coolant.....ie blown head gasket.......keep us informed...... I too have a 93 ES, and have little experience with Toyota iron.. as my last Toy was a 83 camry, put over 300k on it, only had to change the fuel pump, timing belt, alternator, and waterpump.....so did not have to get tooo intimate with the camry..... my 93 is a fixerupper, if you have read any of my other posts, you will find it was butchered by the last person or persons that worked on it, and I am slowly returning it to normalcy....I am learning lots more about the Toyota than I really want to, but what I do know is they are very well engineered, and with a few exceptions are pretty easy to work on.....the FSM is the very first part you should get.......that and a good computer so you can access this forum and others relating to cars.

good luck

capn
Old 03-01-09, 08:22 PM
garvos
Driver School Candidate

If it blew the radiator hose that thell me that you may have a restriction somewere in the coolant syatem,you may want to check your radiator it might be plug up.when were the last time you change your upper and lower hose??i would start with that.hope that will help.
Old 04-03-09, 08:48 PM
Merritt8
Driver School Candidate

It was my over flow hoses. Clogged with fixaleak from the previous owner before he replaced the radiator.
Old 04-04-09, 04:08 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

merritt8, same stuff in my car from prev owner before he changed radiator, in my case too

and I am now changing a headgasket, so you might want to bookmark my thread in case something like that happens to you.... you never know
Old 04-04-09, 05:54 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, used that Barrs radiator leak fixer, and it absolutely sluged up my system! Crap in everything!