ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Puzzled (along with the dealer) on Wheel Shake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 07:43 PM
cbh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puzzled (along with the dealer) on Wheel Shake Issue

Hello,

I have a nagging issue with my 2000 ES300 that I can't seem to resolve. In particular, when braking at speeds above 35MPH, the steering wheels shakes. The strange thing was that this problem appeared immediately after the wheels were rotated. I went back and had all four wheels rebalanced, and that did not solve the issue. I then replaced all four brake rotors and pads, and that solved the issue for about 5,000 miles of easy-going driving, but now the problem has come back! BTW, the rotors were cross-drilled Brembos from ******************.com. The pads were Redstuff also from ******************.com. The tires are Michelin Primacy's, that are always inflated to 30PSI, and have 17,000 miles on them. They seem to be in great condition. They are rotated ever 5,000 miles.

I spoke to an independent mechanic and the dealership, and they both suggested that it is a brake rotor issue despite the fact that the rotors have been replaced already...

I also did some research online and came across a post describing a similar problem, and stating that a change in the suspension bushings totally solved the problem. The independent mechanic and dealer, though, were both skeptical on the likelihood of this solving the problem.

I don't know where else to turn, and figured, as the experts, that I would ask you folks. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old 03-11-09, 09:41 PM
cbh2
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, I just wanted to check in and see if anybody had a similar experience with this or any thoughts on what might help resolve the issue. The dealer and independent mechanic I go to don't seem to have a solution. Thanks a lot for any advice you may have!
Old 03-11-09, 09:54 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what’s funny? I have the same problem on my SC. When I apply the brakes between 40-70 the steering wheel shakes, now the shake varies from a mile shake to a pretty aggressive wobble. It will not shake if I slam on the brakes, but with any other pressure it shakes. Under acceleration and coasting the car/steering wheel does not shake and it only happens under braking. I am also puzzled at to what the cause can be
Old 03-11-09, 11:10 PM
cyco
Pole Position

I also have this problem lol, its good too see that you made it 4 years without it being a major problem tho.
Old 03-12-09, 08:08 AM
cbh2
Driver School Candidate

I did a little more research on this and think that replacing the ball joints and/or tie rod ends may solve the problem. I would like to overhaul the whole suspension system one day assuming that it will really improve handling. I am not a suspension expert, though, and would have to somehow figure out which parts to replace. I have also seen some general posts out there that say that changing control arms can really improve handling. It seems like all of this stuff is a bit beyond the Lexus dealership and my independent mechanic, though, as they don't get these types of requests too often. It's interesting that other people have experienced the same problem!
Old 03-12-09, 11:27 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

When customers come in with steering vibrations at higher speeds when braking its usually due to overheated or warped front brake rotors.

I'm about 90% sure that is the problem

PS: Bad thing with cross-drilled rotors that warp is that they cannot be resurfaced to create a new clean rotor surface for the pad to come into contact with when brakes are applied (uneven or warped rotors pressing w/ the brake pads = vibration)
Old 03-13-09, 11:32 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

my 2000 es 300 does the same exact thing. It isnt the rotors for the OP because he had them replaced and the problem persisted. I know it isnt the rotors for me either. Im going to have the wheels balanced in about an hour to see if thats the problem. Dont really feel like changing out suspension components just yet but I guess this may have to be an option if balancing does not solve this.
Old 03-14-09, 09:14 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont care how new the rotors are. someone just took off your wheels and rotated. this means they put them back on. when they didn't, they didn't tighten the wheel nuts in the proper fashion. most likely, you will need all new rotors. there may be a chance to cut them to bring them in alignment, but this would have to be done with a ''on the hub'' type resurfacer. and then the thickness checked afterward to see if the rotor is still in spec. improper torque and/or tightening sequence by the installer has a good chance of deforiming rotors. sorry to tell you.... now you gotta ***** out the place that did the rotation.......

If cars vibrate after rotation and it's not from using the brakes then: the other thing it could be is a imbalanced wheel... when they did the rotation they may have dropped a wheel weight by accident... and last chance it could be is a tire issue that was imperceptible until the tire was on the front of the car after the rotation.
Old 03-15-09, 05:36 PM
cbh2
Driver School Candidate

There is definitely the possibility, despite their age, that the rotors are warped. As you pointed out llcoolpass, this could be because the lug nuts were not properly tightened following the last rotation. I also believe there could be a problem with the calipers or caliper slides, actually causing the rotors to warp over time. And then, there is that smaller chance that it could be caused by a bad suspension part. I was talking to my wife's cousin over the weekend, and he said that his car (Audi A4, 100,000 miles) drove like a new vehicle after he changed out all of the suspension parts. He told me he bought all of the parts as a package off of Ebay. I checked earlier today and for $100 you can get 2 ball joints, 2 inner tie rods, 2 outer tie rods, and a rear sway bar for a 2000 ES300. I am not sure if this would solve the wheel shake issue, but even if it is totally unrelated, I may do this project at some point anyways. I would probably change the struts and springs while I'm at it as well. The only disadvantage is that I will have to have the suspension system realigned. In any case, back on the wheel shake issue, I think I will have my mechanic take a look at it tomorrow and see what he thinks. I will have him pay particular close attention to the rotors, and if they are warped, to the calipers and caliper slides. Thanks for all this advice!