ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

iso help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09 | 06:35 AM
rtk7
Pole Position

Default iso help!

ok few questions. i changed my axles with a friend followed up a write up about it from a dealership. Was fine and dandy than all of the sudden my abs light turned on and when i went to go brake it was like my abs was kicking in and it was on dry pavement. Light has been on all winter i couldnt fix it, was gonna get a newer car but i need to fix this before i sell. Where is the abs sensor located ona 95 es300? there is a melted sensor by the front driver wheel by the axles im not sure if that was it or not some how that connector got melted.

another thing my oil pan is starting to leak i was told when i got my oil changed. how hard is it to replace this and how much money if i go somewhere to get it fixed?
Old 03-20-09 | 06:53 AM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

the abs sensor should be right behind the brake rotor, hovering right above the cv joint on the hub.

as for the oil pan, u just need patience, it is VERY easy to do yourself. a gasket should go for about 20 bucks or less and u just need to drain your oil, take down the oil pan by loosening like a bajillion size 10 bolts clean the surfaces that the gasket will touch, and then put it back up there.

there are gaskets that have smaller holes in the corners to allow you to stick the bolts in there and hold it in place for you so the pan is easier to put back in. be very VERY sure not to over tighten any of the bolts though. they're easy to over tighten and beak.
Old 03-20-09 | 12:43 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

thank you for the info

need another question. i think somthing is wrong with my suspension or steering. my power steering cuts in and out, the car pulls to the right and when i go 40 mph+ my car rumbles a little bit and i feel it in my gas petal.
any suggestions
Old 03-20-09 | 08:45 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

well the thing about the car pulling to the left or right, i would say jack up your car and wiggle the tire from top to bottom and from left to right, if theres play from top to bottom the lower ball joint needs attention. if its from left to right then the tie rod needs attention as well as the ball joint, because it could be both. as for the power steering, im not so expirenced with diagnosing that. my best guess is the fluid might need to be flushed.
Old 03-20-09 | 09:13 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

im confused, you think you have an oil leak because you take your car to places to have the oil done AND you changed the axle yourself.....

es3_ray is right, but if you can't change your own oil......................
Old 03-20-09 | 10:29 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

the oil pan re-seal is very easy if youre patient....also make it easy on yourself and do an oil change at the same time.
ES3ray's description is right on the money for how easy it is, but at higher miles i reccomend replacing the oil pan ans drain plug as well as the threads for the drainpain begin to wear out from the constant oil changes.
Ray, most newer toyotas use RTV sealent or FIPG (fixed in place gasket) liquid sealent as a gasket and the auromatic transmission pans use the standard cork formed gasket. You you can buy the FIPG at a toyota dealership for around 20 bucks. You must carefully clean the oil pan itself and the block where it mounts so that the sealent can properly bond.
Old 03-23-09 | 05:59 AM
rtk7
Pole Position

for one i didnt have a garage at the time to do an oil change outside.. i rather just pay the extra 10 bucks. two my friend help me replace my axles because he just replaced them on his car. im not saying i know alot about cars thats why im asking questions.

power steering cuts in and out, people say its the fluid to be flushed some people say its the line thats feeding to the pump. as for the rumbling at my gas pedal it has stopped yesterday for some reason. but the car still pulls to the right so it might need an alignment

btw thanks for the info guys
Old 03-29-09 | 07:54 PM
capnfred
Rookie

One question begs to be asked, you said that the abs sensor was possibly melted, hmmmm that combined with the pulling leads me to believe a stuck caliper, about the only way that it would get hot enough to melt something is if the the brake caliper was stuck,,,, I am surprised you did not smell something. The abs sensor is a piece of cake, the most difficult aspect is removing the wheel well liner to get to the connector... good luck

capn
Old 03-29-09 | 11:31 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

if its that hot all the time the bearing could be hurtin'
Old 03-30-09 | 06:29 PM
capnfred
Rookie

Corlexuses, quick question, to replace the pan gasket did you drop the exhaust pipe, according to the manual that a requirement.... I bought the gasket at
Autozone it was around 4.00.....not a bad price...anyway let me know if the gasket can be replaced without dropping the pipe. Thanks

Capn