ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 06:27 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus rebuilt engine

Ran a VIN check on my car last week, and at about 50k (it's got 94k now), Lexus did an engine rebuild (gelled engine, resurfaced heads, new short block) - was a freebie from Lexus, apparently it was sludging up - records indicate the owner had done the every 5k things at the Lexus dealer. Anyway, do you think they changed the timing belt/water pump when they did this? The dealer's name is on the history, I guess I could call them. (if their still in business)
Old 04-06-09, 06:30 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the history on timing belt work will probably be in the database. all they need is your vin number to look it up in the lexus computer system. perk of having lexus.
Old 04-06-09, 11:54 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed all you need to do is call/visit a lexus dealer and give them your VIN, and you have acess to all the vehicles history.
you can also register as an owner on lexus.com and get your service history there too.
usually when we replace an engine at my toyota dealer we replace the t-belt, water pump and front seals before the motor goes in on the used motors, but the remans and new motors already come with fresh parts.
Old 04-06-09, 12:03 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

I ran the VIN at my local Lexus dealer - all they entered was - gelled engine, cleaned heads, replaced short block - not very detailed! I got the number to the dealer that did the work, hopefully they have more detailed info on their repair order!

Thanx guys.
Old 04-06-09, 05:52 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a new engine (short block) done due to the sludge in my RX. Lexus did replace the timing belt. I asked since it was near time to have it replaced anyway.
Old 04-06-09, 06:54 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

why didn't they put a long block in?
Old 04-06-09, 08:09 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

They rebuilt the long block and replaced the short block.
Old 04-06-09, 08:31 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

ok im confused by what you said. let me rephrase what I said, so if you get a long block then you put it in a car and save time. why go through the hassle of building up a shortblock from some old engine's long block when you are a dealer and time is money and your in a huge company like toyota
Old 04-07-09, 04:53 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
ok im confused by what you said. let me rephrase what I said, so if you get a long block then you put it in a car and save time. why go through the hassle of building up a shortblock from some old engine's long block when you are a dealer and time is money and your in a huge company like toyota
I believe that you misunderstand the dealership/corporate relationship. I used to be a mechanic (never again) at Chrysler, and corporate dictates waranty, recall policy and payments. Example, I had a Dodge ram, cummings diesel (under waranty) which was blowing smoke with low compression. I pulled the head and found scored cylinder walls. Corporate wanted to know exactly how deep the scoring was for each cylinder and multiple other things before they approved replacement of the short block. They refused to issue a long block. Corporate also pays the dealership at app half the rate that a customer pays. IE, customers were charged at $120 hr. Corporate would pay the dealership half that for waranty/recall work. I left the dealership because I couldn't stand that type of bs, that that is not even mentioning the upsell line that they were always pushing onto us.
Well that was chrysler, but I'm sure that toyota has most, if not all the same type of policies.
Old 04-07-09, 05:38 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

There really isn't much old ENGINE stuff to put on a short block - refinished heads, intake plenum, exhaust manifold, a few sensors (which should be inspected for functionality), AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump - the short usually block includes all the following:
SHORT BLOCKS HAVE THE FOLLOWING INCLUDED.
LOWER BLOCK, CRANKSHAFT, CONNECTING RODS, PISTONS, RINGS, MAIN BEARINGS, ROD BEARINGS, CAM BEARINGS,
Old 04-07-09, 05:39 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
I believe that you misunderstand the dealership/corporate relationship. I used to be a mechanic (never again) at Chrysler, and corporate dictates waranty, recall policy and payments. Example, I had a Dodge ram, cummings diesel (under waranty) which was blowing smoke with low compression. I pulled the head and found scored cylinder walls. Corporate wanted to know exactly how deep the scoring was for each cylinder and multiple other things before they approved replacement of the short block. They refused to issue a long block. Corporate also pays the dealership at app half the rate that a customer pays. IE, customers were charged at $120 hr. Corporate would pay the dealership half that for waranty/recall work. I left the dealership because I couldn't stand that type of bs, that that is not even mentioning the upsell line that they were always pushing onto us.
Well that was chrysler, but I'm sure that toyota has most, if not all the same type of policies.
No wonder it's almost impossible to get warranty work done!
Old 04-07-09, 07:21 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

yeah at chrysler