ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 05:33 PM
capnfred
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the knock sensors are located under the intake manifold, you have to remove everything attached to the plenum, and then the plenum to get to the intake manifold. The intake manifold is easy to remove once you have taken everything else off. the odds of both sensors going at once are not all that good. I would check the connector first, as for the other code 61, I cannot find any reference to it in my manual..... what does yours say. I looked at the tranny portion of the manual, found speed sensor number two. Again check the connectors first, then look at the sensor itself. You can check it with a multimeter, good luck

capn

Last edited by capnfred; 04-08-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 06:40 PM
sparks11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!! I tried to look under the intake with a flashlight with no succes!
I will remove it it's only 4 or 5 screws but I need to go to autozone and get the ex sockets...

61 in my manual has the speed sensor number 2 which I already pulled out and tested.....came out bad

the bad thing is that I looked in my local junk yards and found plenty of trans..but they do not have that sensor.. they have only number one..and that sensor it's expensive ($120-130)

knock sensors plenty but need to remove them and check them first before I buy them

ps.. to get acces to knock sensors..need to remove the rack injectors? mean sensors are underneath the injectors?
Old 04-09-09, 05:36 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nissan's knock sensors are famous for being overly sensitive - my mechanic says almost EVERY Nissan that comes into his shop is showing a knock sensor code (and no one knows this because it doesn't kick of the CEL - but because it retards the timing, gas mileage and performance goes down - some people say once the knock sensor is corrected, the power gain is significant!) - are the Toyota's the same way? Nissan has supposedly developed one that is better at filtering out the noise to better detect a true knock.
Old 04-09-09, 05:51 AM
capnfred
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The knock sensors are under the intake manifold, not the plenum..... the intake manifold is what the plenum is attached to. Hope this helps you out, the next time I go the yard I will look for a number two sensor, they only charge me a couple of bucks for stuff like that....I paid 5 bucks for tranny solenoid set....
Old 04-09-09, 06:16 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

You mean the intake manifold that sits in-between the cylinder banks? Just looked at the FSM - damn, what a job to change thoses! Of course the FSM shows removing the sensors with the heads off! I assume this radical of a job is not required to change the sensor!
Old 04-09-09, 06:29 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by sparks11
well finally took some time off and these are the codes I got out of the car

I did the procces like 10 times jut to be sure and they were always the same numbers
What are the full codes #s?
Old 04-09-09, 07:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

This was one done for the 1MZFE off of a Sienna in regards to the knock sensors, http://www.findonefindall.com/toyota...ock_sensor.htm
Old 04-09-09, 08:17 AM
sparks11
Rookie

What are the full codes #s?
Old 04-09-09, 08:41 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey that's bs about nissans. if you're talking about the VQ30DE or simliar v6s it's often showing up because people mistakenly put 87 octane-rating fuel in that car when they are supposed to use 91 [or higher]. it's nissans fault for saying ''regular is ok , but premium recommended for optimum performance"
instead of optimum performance [which soudns like its just for max horsepower] how about "for NORMAL engine running and long engine life?" damn it!!!!!
Old 04-09-09, 09:46 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Nah, this is the late 90's. Had 2 Altimas with the knock code and an Infinity V6! Could never get the code on the Infinity to clear! Bought a sensor that claims it is an improved filter. Haven't replaced it yet - gave the car to my daughter last weekend, so I could get my '08 Taco DC back before her or someone else tears it up!
Old 04-09-09, 03:30 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which car does she have. if it's the altima, then i have one piece of advice. if it's the infiniti, i need to know which model [there are different v6s ] to taylor that advice. they use the knock sensors VERY different in altima KA24DE than they do in the infiniti VQ30DE and the VG30DE [model specific on the engine]
Old 04-09-09, 03:59 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

If it helps, it a 98 Infiniti. The knock sensor in in the middle of the front and rear bank, with the intake plenum over it. It can be reached with a combo of swivel sockets, just need to get by my mechanics to use his - mine are 1/4" and too wimpy!
Old 04-12-09, 10:49 AM
sparks11
Rookie

went to the local junk yard and found speed sensor number 2 for the tran
and a few knock sensors....

came back to the house installed the tran sensor..cleared the memory and drove the car..check engine came on again..but when I pulled out the codes
the 61 code was gone..and this time only gave code 55...51 was gone...(???)
well removed the intake manifold and removed the knock sensors..one was good one was bad...
I have not put installed the sensor again because I'm planning to install
valve cover gaskets...new intake gaskets...spark plugs...wires..distribuitor cap..ignition rotor..so I will be putting it back probably on monday or tuesday..

but I'm rookie and have a few questions???

when I removed the intake I found water in the middle of the block,knock sensor were kind on the water, is this normal to find water over there?

the sensors plugs were so bad that they broke..I got a pair from the junk
yard, and I'm going to cut the wires and make a bridge and then tape them
is this going to work or am I doing it wrong?

sensor got numbers 76 and 46... it does matter because the only good sensor I found was 76 and my good sensor that I found in my car is also 76
it's going to work? or I need the 46 ?

ps.just in case.I got the ecm from a friend of mine...if installing the sensors does not work I will try the ecm...if it also fails...jajaja then I do not know what to do next
Old 04-13-09, 09:36 PM
sparks11
Rookie

well I installed everything today..could not start the car because need it to tight a few screws and sunlight was gone..but
I found water in the middle of the blocks, is this normal?

then in one of the valve holes there was water too,is this normal?

I'm rookie on this but water in one of the valve holes????? does not seems normal to me..well I put new intake gaskets anyway

please if someone can answer this I will really apreciate it!!
Old 04-14-09, 05:38 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Doesn't sound right to me either!

Quick Reply: Transmission problem?