ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 03:21 PM
sparks11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem?

well first of all hi to everybody!! this is my first post..great forum you have..
I already ordered all the parts need it to repair the dashboard bulbs and needles
thanks to the manual from a fellow member of this forum..

well the problem of my 93 lexus es300 is....
I have the check engine light on.. it comes on after I drive the car for 5 to 15 minutes..as soon as the light comes on I feel a little vibration on the steering wheel... another symptom is that I have trouble..from 1 to 2 gear..it takes a while to shift (3000rpm) and my rpm neddle won't go down enough once I'm on the freeway at 70mph my rpm still a little up 3000prm.. my car used to run great!
a lot of power..but one bad day all of a sudden this problem started...first the tranmission and then the light..somehow I think it the same thing and once I fix the light the trans should be fine...went to local shop but they wanted to replace the trans without checking anything and I decided no to do it...I do not think is the trans...

thanks in advance for your help!!!
Old 04-07-09, 03:40 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well welcome to CL. Put some pictures of your ride up in this thread so we can check it out. 93's are the shizz brother.
Unfortunately I've had extreme lack of sleep and can't help you at this moment.
Old 04-07-09, 03:40 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

you don't know the trouble codes stored in the computer?
Old 04-07-09, 03:54 PM
sparks11
Rookie

no I have not got time to try with the wire and see which codes pop up..
probably this weekend I will give it a try...I tested speed sensor number 2 and it came defective...but I think I need to go a little far before I start replacing stuff..a few friends are saying that I have a defective ecm..
speed sensor number 1 I could not remove it for testing. (do not know if I should pop it up or how)
Old 04-07-09, 04:48 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, a defective speed sensor will certainly give you shifting problems! Dodge overhauled the tranny on my 95 Avenger (piece of ****!) before they finally figured out it was a $15 speed sensor!
Old 04-07-09, 05:02 PM
sparks11
Rookie

yep! but this tran has two speed sensors when one is burn the ecm uses the other one as back up..I tested number 2..number one I do not know how to remove it from the tran..I tried to pull it but seems that's not the way to do it..
without testing that one is hard to know if those sensors are the problem
and they are expensive $115 to 130 a piece!!!
Old 04-07-09, 06:20 PM
capnfred
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before you jump to any conclusions, pull the codes and see why the light is on... step one... you don't mention nything about the O/D light flashing or not...most important of all when it comes to the tranny is fluid.... if its low or the filters are dirty then you will not have the correct fluid pressure, and that is what makes an auto trans work......so just a few ideas for places to check... keep us informed.. I too have a 93 ES, it took lots of looking and finding many many little things til I got mine running smooooooooooth....but it is worth it.... I just found a set of OEM wheels, the PO had installed Infiniti wheels, but it will look much nicer with the OEM's......

capn

ps: If you need any used parts let me know, the local upullit yard has quite a few ES's.... all gen 2's, some with older engine, but most with the newer one with the coils on top..... mine is the older type....
Old 04-07-09, 06:37 PM
sparks11
Rookie

thanks for the offering I'm going to have you in mind for that.. and you are right I forgot to give more info about the o/d... it does not blink o nothing like, that was one of my first checks I did..to pull the codes out..mmm I have the manual and this weekend will give it a try..but honestly I consider myself rookie on the matter to pull codes even I have the manual.. another thing I forgot was a strange zuuuuummmmmm noise that comes out of the engine or tran...(it's not the power steering I already checked that) I'm totally confused with all these things that the car does...

thanks to all for the answers and try to help me with this matter!!!
Old 04-08-09, 07:13 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

On this subject - how do you flush the tranny? My fluid was nice and red, then I put a bottle of Slick50 high mileage tranny additive to it, now it is like muddy water (no burning though) - my guss is it "flushed" the tranny, now I need to flush the flush out!
Old 04-08-09, 08:36 AM
sparks11
Rookie

checked the trans oil and it's ok no black or smell... but one service won't hurt it.. it's been a year since the last service, well we have drove it only for about 18k.....going to see if I have some free time today and try to pull the codes and see what's going on with the car
Old 04-08-09, 10:13 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Well, here's a link to flushing an Avalon tranny - seems pretty straight forward.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1862fd
Old 04-08-09, 11:34 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Question - does the transmission need to be in drive, or does it pump fluid even in park?
Old 04-08-09, 12:31 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

all this about speed sensors and shift quality cracks me up .... because in my car I'm the speed sensor
lol
Old 04-08-09, 02:32 PM
sparks11
Rookie

well finally took some time off and these are the codes I got out of the car

I did the procces like 10 times jut to be sure and they were always the same numbers
Old 04-08-09, 04:34 PM
sparks11
Rookie

wonder where the knock sensors are? look in the manual but it does not exactly where....

Quick Reply: Transmission problem?