ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 5speed automatic trans problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-02, 02:48 PM
wavefanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 5speed automatic trans problems?

The trans of my 2002 ES 300 hesitates between first and second AND between second and third gear, especailly when in stop-and-go traffic, or going around a corner on a green light. The dealer says it performs according to factory specs and they need the factory to come out with re-programming guidelines to fix it. In the mean while, LExus Corp. customer care reps are in 'denial'. Anyone else notice the trans can't seem to make up its mind to shift up or not when driving in mild acceleration situations?
Old 03-14-02, 12:50 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen plenty of complaints concerning the new 5spd transmission. Yet neither the dealers nor Lexus corp. seem to acknowledge it. But I assume the number of complaints is very minor compared to the number of ES sold.

It seems okay to me, but I'd love an updated transmission program. I know they've done that for other Lexus cars in the past.
Old 03-14-02, 01:15 PM
wavefanz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. I just got a call from the Lexus folks who are now beginning to say that they have heard of other such concerns from owners and they are in 'the process' of looking into doing something that may result in a Service Bulletin. I just hope all the slippage between shifts that has occurred won't result in premature trans failure. Time will tell.
Old 03-14-02, 06:32 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's hope Lexus doesn't make us pay for the update if we want it!
Old 04-12-02, 03:31 AM
GREGGB
Driver School Candidate

The problem you discribe sounds dead on with what I'm going through. I purchased my 2002 ES300 in mid Feb. I was told by the dealership it would correct itself after about 1,500 miles (time required for the computer to adjust to my driving style..I was told). When I didn't see any improvement. I went back to the dealership and test drove two other 2002 ES300. There was no sign of the problems I've described below. I would think if it was a programming issue all 2002 ES300 would have this problem.

Issues with transmission.

When the car shifts from gear to gear the power transfer is anything but smooth. The timing of each lull and surge is always different based on speed, acceleration, and road angle (uphill, downhill, level).

Symptoms:

When in Stop and Go traffic, going 5 mph, braking to 3 mph then back to 5 mph - the car lunges forward after a brief pause every time.

When in the range of 55 mph to 60 mph keeping the foot on the pedal but slightly backing off to slow down and going down the backside of an overpass the transmission flutters between what I believe to be 5th gear and 4th gear for about 2 seconds. This is inconsistent and doesn't happen every time.

Accelerating hard from a dead stop the car shifts the best. But this isn't normal driving conditions. Slowing down and speeding up especially in the lower gears causes a pause and a lunging engagement into the gear.

Last edited by GREGGB; 04-12-02 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-06-02, 02:05 PM
chillijilli
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

Purchased our ES300 in mid March. Almost immediately called the salesperson to express concerns about safety re: acceleration "lag time" and lurching between 20-30 mph and also between 40-50mph. Salesperson told us to "give it time" for car's computer to adjust to our driving style.
We just now returned from the service dept. They told us that "almost ALL owners of 2002 ES300 have complained." It is a huge problem and "Lexus is working on a fix, but can't determine if it is a transmission or computer problem. They claim it is mostly an intermittent problem which they therefore are not able to study (!). Our car, however, consistently duplicates the problem so they will call a factory rep from CA to drive it.
We seriously feel this is a safety issue. We had a terrifying experience while trying to merge w/ a semi on the freeway and got no acceleration when we needed it.
Please advise as to your experiences so far! THANKS!
Old 05-11-02, 06:17 AM
LexFather

Seems the computer is not sure what gear to be in. In other words, the hesitation is because the computer does not wan to jerk the car by downshifting, but it does not want to damn near stall the car by upshifting. ECU maybe?
Old 05-28-02, 03:11 AM
GREGGB
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone taken any action like going thru arbitration with their car? Right now I'm waiting on a service bulletin that may never come.
Old 05-31-02, 05:45 AM
chillijilli
Driver School Candidate

Default 2002 ES300 Problem

Gregg, I sent you an email w/ further information. Please check your private messages. After owning the car for 2 months (5000 mi), our Lexus dealer bought our car back, refunding exactly what we had paid, including the tax. Hope the information I sent is helpful to you.
Old 06-11-02, 04:41 PM
jaisonline
Driver School Candidate

Default ATTN: chillijilli

can u please email me the same info u emailed greg? i also own a 2002 es300 with the acceleration lag. my car is only a month old.

thanks,
jaisonline@hotmail.com
Old 06-11-02, 07:05 PM
chillijilli
Driver School Candidate

Default 2002 ES300problem

jaison, please check your private messages for my response.
Old 07-11-02, 10:52 AM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

chillijilli

can u please PM me the same info? my tranyy is messing up as well. thx

sniper
Old 07-11-02, 01:05 PM
jaisonline
Driver School Candidate

Default any update on this issue?

any update on this issue?

just wondeing if anyone heard anything. my dealer hasn't notified me anything yet.
Old 07-12-02, 12:28 AM
WILB3
Pole Position

Default Re: Same problem

Originally posted by chillijilli
Purchased our ES300 in mid March. Almost immediately called the salesperson to express concerns about safety re:
What a drag! Hope Lexus comes up with a fix or compensates you all accordingly.
Old 07-15-02, 09:57 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Sounds like at least Lexus is admitting to the problem and trying to address your issue. I've had that hesitation problem on my 2000 GS400 since day one but Lexus said that was "normal". I even test drove 4 other GS400 and they all exhibited the same problem. So far Lexus is not admitting there's a problem at least on the GS. It irritates me when Lexus tells me it's normal when you know something is not right. Good luck you guys.

Quick Reply: 2002 5speed automatic trans problems?