ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing belt/water pump shop time

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 05:41 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Timing belt/water pump shop time

Could someone give me the AllData labor charge to change these two items? My mech says $350. He lalso said 2 days! I don't believe that at all!
Old 04-13-09, 06:13 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The water pump is just over 3 hours, which covers replacing the timming belt. Is 350 the total for parts and labor? If so, when you consider belt, pump, seals, anti-freeze, misc then I would think that it is a reasonable amount. I don't know about the 2 days though. If this is a independent shop than take into consideration that they might not want to order the parts until the car actually comes in (we had plenty people who would schedule a repair, and then not show, or show several days later with some excuse, and then expect they should move to the front of the line because they HAD A APPOINTMENT).
Old 04-13-09, 06:15 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

That's just labor - I'm getting the belt, pump, rollers and seals myself. And that's what AllData says? Because he uses AllData also.
Old 04-13-09, 10:54 AM
96Schwarz
Driver School Candidate

$350 diivided by $80 per hour = 4.4 hrs. Thats about right to do the job, especially since your bringing your own parts.
Old 04-13-09, 11:41 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Thanx Guys!
Old 04-13-09, 05:20 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mmatheny, you of all people on here can't do the timing belt job yourself? rofl what the heck?

second thing, you aren't replacing the hydraulic tensioner [hyd tensr]? if the hyd tensr is older than like 100K miles of 'usage' then I would replace it to avoid any problems later....
Old 04-14-09, 05:24 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Thanx cool - after my "bent valve" timing chain issue on the Altima, and my back, my wife has nixed all my major repairs - not that I couldn't do it!
BTW, what's a tensioner cost?
Never mind - saw they're less than $50.
Old 04-14-09, 09:11 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

lol gotcha

but to taunt you and make you change your mind.... all you need to not bend the valves as easily is this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camsh...4506.m20.l1116

lol
Old 04-14-09, 09:49 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Well, you got me thinking now, cool! Besides the waterpump and gasket, idlers, & belt tensioner - what other replacement parts will I require? Any gasket sealant?
Old 04-14-09, 04:57 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

No to gasket sealant. I am guilty of using RTV on gaskets on WP gasket [ I'm paranoid haha], however, but I can't recommend it proper procedure. what gasket? you're just doing the timing belt + water pump job? if so, fyi, the water pump gasket will come with the new water pump. There's no other gasket involved with the job.....
timing belt
timing idlers / tensioner pulleys
hydraulic tensioner
water pump
[optional, but good practice: all new coolant, motor oil+filter, and accessory belts]
Old 04-15-09, 06:26 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Isn't there a gasket on the timing belt cover?
Old 04-15-09, 10:27 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

There's no gasket for the timming cover, but it is a good idea to replace the rubber camshaft oil seals (2) and the crankshaft oil seal. I use a small amount of permatex on the water pump gasket. It is a little better at holding the gasket in place than rtv (it's sticker).
Old 04-15-09, 10:35 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

it's a good idea to replace those seals, if they are leaking or the car is over 100K miles, I agree. when you say permatex, what do you mean, gasket dressing by that company? 'cause that company makes the RTV haha

the timing belt covers do have gaskets, replace them if they got oily and messed up, but you would know that.... but you don't have to if they are ok .... you would know that too

GO GET 'EM !!

Old 04-15-09, 12:20 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
There's no gasket for the timming cover, but it is a good idea to replace the rubber camshaft oil seals (2) and the crankshaft oil seal. I use a small amount of permatex on the water pump gasket. It is a little better at holding the gasket in place than rtv (it's sticker).
Engine was rebuilt by Lexus 35k miles ago, rebuilt heads and a new short block - they offered the original owner to replace the wp and tb at the same time for only parts cost and he refused! So I'm pretty sure the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals are new or close to it!
Old 04-15-09, 01:17 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Yea, that's a safe bet you have new seals. I can believe that the previous owner got cheap on the wp and tb. Some people.

I like the permatex gasket dressing for things like the water pump, oil pan etc. I feel it does a better job holding the gasket in place while you assemble the parts. For tough sealing jobs (like the corners of the valve covers) I prefer rtv, I think that does a better job of sealing. Of course the key is making sure that the sealing surface is clean.

Last edited by GEORGE_JET; 04-15-09 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Timing belt/water pump shop time