ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Knock Sensors Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 09:43 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
yeah 2 hrs is the normal time to remove the upper intake, so you must have been taking your time, which is a good thing when you're doing it your first time.

some people pull the thing off within 30 minutes, which scares me how fast

aha! you speak spanish and english, very cool, glad you got it fixed
It takes me a good 45-50 minutes to remove the upper and lower intake manifold . BTW I speak spanish too.

sparks11: Buena suerte con el arreglo de tu carro. Ya veras que con los alambres que conecta a los sensores no volvera la luz en el tablero. Con eso arregle mi carro. Hope u know this much or better spanish, lol.
Old 04-17-09, 08:33 AM
sparks11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks gerson (gracias) I called my local dealr and they do not have them in stock but I'm going to ordered them today and I will have them in a couple days
Old 04-17-09, 07:04 PM
sparks11
Rookie

well I ordered the wire today and was nice to know it will be there tomorrow around 9am..

but I really need your help guys!! I removed the intake again and there was water in the middle of the block!!!

the first time I removed it there was water!!! and I tought it was the intake manifold or it was normal...
I installed new gasket and when I removed it again today there was water again!!

is this normal? or my head gaskets are screwed up or something is wrong..or this is perfectly normal??????
Old 04-18-09, 11:06 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on where you saw water, and if it was coolant, or something else
I got your pm and replied
Old 04-18-09, 11:48 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah - give us some pics!
Old 04-18-09, 12:49 PM
sparks11
Rookie

it's coolant ! and I will try to upload pics.(think I need to upload them to photobucket or something rigth?)
Old 04-18-09, 12:56 PM
sparks11
Rookie

well there you go pics!

and this is my ride

and it's coolant(water) not oil what I found in the middle of the block under the metal pipe
Old 04-18-09, 01:26 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wish they were larger!
Old 04-18-09, 01:39 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

I replied to your email showing where it should be and not be.

If you are not careful, you could get some in the cylinders, so next time, if you did not do so already, I'd drain some from the radiator first so that, when you remove the upper and lower intake manifold, you don't have some pour out possibly into the intake ports of the two cylinder heads....
Old 04-18-09, 01:42 PM
sparks11
Rookie

took them form my cell to faster transfer to my lap..and I think I'm using the wrong words I say in the middle of the block....and should I say in the middle of the blocks or middle of the heads under the metal pipe right below the knock sensors....that's where I found the coolant and a lot it was covering the sensors no wonder why they went bad
sorry for the incoveniences I could cause on describing my problem!
Old 04-18-09, 02:40 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

If you are not careful, you could get some in the cylinders, so next time, if you did not do so already, I'd drain some from the radiator first so that, when you remove the upper and lower intake manifold, you don't have some pour out possibly into the intake ports of the two cylinder heads....[/QUOTE]

Good point!
Did you drain some coolant from the rad before removing the manifold. If not that's were the coolant is coming from. Were the sensor's submerged? If so I would procede carefully. The sensors should read at least one meg ohm resistance. If it is less (significantly) I remove them, clean them off, and then recheck. If it is still low, I would replace them (you could try baking them in a oven at low temp, but only if you're low on funds).

When you re-install them, pay close attention to the torque value, and if there is anything on the threads. A old trick was to place some teflon tape on the treads to make the sensor a little less sensitive to pinging.
Old 04-18-09, 03:18 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

wait a second..... Juan, I just emailed you, but one more thing that I forgot.... did you recently remove the intake manifold, THEN after that you got the knock sensor code? Then, recently you pulled the IM off again to check the knock sensors?

If the answer is yes, then you might have spilled last time, too. The sensor could have gotten coolant on the harness plug, causing a malfunction. It's just a possibility. Sorry for making it more complicated, but hey , it may be helpful....
Old 04-18-09, 10:31 PM
sparks11
Rookie

well I just finished re-installing the knock sensors and new wires! I tested the sensors and they were ok more than a meg h...

and yes llcoolpass I spilled coolant the first time on the sensors..

well results were not good! for the first 20 minutes no cel..then I decided to go for a ride to get some beer and celebrate! that the car was fine..and then..
right when I was parking the car...there you go again!! cel on!!! felt so frustrated! (still bought the beer of course) comeback home and got the codes and this time it read both sensors!!! it does not make sense!!! before I removed the intake for the second time got code 52 only but this time I got both codes!!
52 and 55!!! I tested the new wires just to make sure thay worked and of course they were good,I tested the sensors!! and they were ok..but the weird thing is now I got both codes again!! just like before I removed the intake for the first time!!....replaced ecm( I have a spare just in case) and same !! same codes!! well at this point je! do not know what to do...going to a shop not an option, dealer forget it!! (not funds) thank god the smog check is until next year!

hey! a thousand thanks!! to all you!! great support form you guys!!
Old 04-19-09, 04:37 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear the codes are still there. Do you know anyone that has a o'scope, so that you can see the signals from the knock sensor? Possibly a friend knows someone who's into electronics enough to have a scope?
Old 04-19-09, 06:51 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

what codes are stored in the computer?

did you have a code [did you even check] right after you turned it on ?
if so, what was it?

secondly, what were the codes after the test drive... when the check engine light [i assume] came on?

Quick Reply: Knock Sensors Problem