ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cylinder numbering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-09, 07:48 PM
Cling
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder numbering?

Ok, I have a 96 Lexus ES 300, I am trying to find out which cylinder is the #4 Cylinder on this car. This would help me greatly in troubleshooting a #4 misfire problem I am having.

Edit: Updated problem info
Ok, sad news for me, I have extremely low compression in cylinder #4, I am assuming the ring is completely shot because it reads about 60 PSI max, where the others read 210psi. Sucks. Now how much time will it take me to get to that piston and replace the ring? Do I need to pull the engine, or did I get lucky with it being one of the front 3 cylinders?

Does anybody have any resources I could use for getting to the cylinder?
**UPDATE** THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED! One of the exhaust valves on the #4 cylinder was severely out of spec, I replaced the spacer and got compression back!

Last edited by Cling; 08-22-09 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-26-09, 07:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome to the Club,

4 should be front middle cylinder (front being the one closest to you when you open the hood). Very easy to get to.
Old 04-26-09, 08:13 PM
Cling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club,

4 should be front middle cylinder (front being the one closest to you when you open the hood). Very easy to get to.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the quick response! Thats great news!
Old 04-27-09, 02:39 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

246 as lexmex said 4 is middle of the radiator side head [Left-hand side head]
Old 04-27-09, 08:36 AM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cylinders on the 1mz-fe and 3vz-fe (or any FWD toyota V6 for that matter) go as follows
cylinders 1,3,5 are on the rear bank facing the firewall...they go in ascending order from the left side of the engine to the right, and cylinders 2,4,6 are on the front bank going the same direction.

on the note of the misfire, have you changed your sparkplugs lately? that could be a cause of the misfire...in addition, try switching the #4 coil pack with the #2 or #6 coilpack and see if the misfire jumps cylindrers....if so, you need a coilpack
Old 04-28-09, 06:21 AM
Cling
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, so far, I have changed the spark plugs and even checked cylinder #4's coil for spark and it was good to go. I suppose the next thing I need to check is fuel injectors?
Old 04-28-09, 05:44 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a good place to start
Old 05-02-09, 07:11 AM
Cling
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I did some further trouble shooting and it seemed that the fuel injector for #4 was inop (I came to this conclusion because when I shot the connector for it, it was getting a solid 13.9v just like all the other injectors and when I unplugged it from the injector while the car was running their was absolutely no change in the engine idle, yet when I did that to any of the other injectors the idle would get worst.) So I bought a new injector, installed it, even found a cracked vacuum line and repaired it in the process. Car is still running exactly the same, and still when I unplug #4 injector it has no change in the engine idle at all. I am stumped!
Old 05-02-09, 07:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Your problem might be further up the fuel stream, you might want to run some fuel injector cleaner through it. Pep Boys sells the Redline Fuel System Cleaner, http://www.redlineoil.com/products_f...p?productID=63 and that's a good one to start, though there is more powerful stuff like BG 44K, http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

You'd be surprised at what garbage there is in gas, and I learned the hard way south of the border (2 fried catalytic converters among the casualties).
Old 05-02-09, 08:22 AM
Cling
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Your problem might be further up the fuel stream, you might want to run some fuel injector cleaner through it. Pep Boys sells the Redline Fuel System Cleaner, http://www.redlineoil.com/products_f...p?productID=63 and that's a good one to start, though there is more powerful stuff like BG 44K, http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

You'd be surprised at what garbage there is in gas, and I learned the hard way south of the border (2 fried catalytic converters among the casualties).
Hey Lex, yeah I was checking out some of you're old posts on the matter.

Well I figured that might be true, but when I took out the fuel rail to install the injector it looked clean as a whistle. And since the fuel rail seems to distribute evenly to the forward 3 injectors, wouldnt the other two forward injectors have problems as well? It is only the #4 cylinder injector.
Old 05-02-09, 08:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cling
Hey Lex, yeah I was checking out some of you're old posts on the matter.

Well I figured that might be true, but when I took out the fuel rail to install the injector it looked clean as a whistle. And since the fuel rail seems to distribute evenly to the forward 3 injectors, wouldnt the other two forward injectors have problems as well? It is only the #4 cylinder injector.
Some techs I knew back in Mexico, my uncle among them, would take a bottle with a hose attached to the injector and run the engine and verify the spray from the nozzle (ignition coil would be disconnected).

Something a bit akin to what they do when they run injector for cleaning, http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-P43C0.aspx
Old 05-02-09, 11:12 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Since you have already tried changing the injector and coil pack, I would recomend checking compression. If it passes the compression test, purchase a noid light (I believe harbor frieght has some cheap ones) or you can build you own with a small 12 volt bulb. Use it to see if the injector is being pulsed.
Basically if it passes compression, you have either a problem with the wiring harness, or the computer.
Old 05-02-09, 11:29 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

si' sen~or
Old 05-02-09, 12:46 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Ok I double checked harbor frieght, they do not have noid lights. Sears does have a set (listed at $54). You can build your own using a small light bulb and a couple spade pins (small enough to fit into the connector). You will want to use some heat shrink tubing on all exposed connectors because if you short the connector you will damage the ECM.

You stated earlier that you have 13 volt on one side of the injector, good! (one side of injector is hooked to 12 volts via a fuse, fuse link). The other side of the injector is hooked to the ECM, this is the side that is switched. I am curious, because this brings up a interesting point. With KEY ON, ENGINE OFF, using a dvm and backprobing the injector connector, you should see 13 volts on both wires of the connector! This of course is only if you have the injector hooked up while you are measuring it. If you measured the voltage with the connector unhooked, this will not apply

Last edited by GEORGE_JET; 05-02-09 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 05:18 PM
Cling
Driver School Candidate

Thats a great freakin' idea george, I will search for it and figure out how to build it.

Yeah, I measured it with power off and the connector un-hooked, i'll tool around with the measurement a bit more though. Just curious, with engine on and running should I see any fluctuation in the voltage at the connector when un-hooked from the injector? Or is that specifically what the light device is for?

Quick Reply: Cylinder numbering?