ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

timing belt issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 03:37 PM
Mmarinich
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt issue?

I recently was driving and lost about 90% of the power from my engine. The check engine light flickered on and off and was knocking slightly....the power steering belt was also cracked and about to fall off....any idea if this is a timing issue? i have 105k on the motor, and there were NO warning signs of this happening....
Old 04-28-09, 03:51 PM
Mmarinich
Driver

Default 1999 es300

by the way it's a 99 es
Old 04-28-09, 04:23 PM
ES3_Ray
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did power go out and come right back online? or did the car stall? be more descriptive in your story please.
Old 04-28-09, 04:50 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Find out what codes are set.
Old 04-28-09, 06:04 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, and this cuold be a lot of things. one more rare thing it could be is a broken crankshaft
Old 04-28-09, 08:55 PM
Mmarinich
Driver

Default ahhh

Ok, i will describe what is going on to the best of my ability. This morning, i let my car warm up a bit, before i drove it. The first thing that happened that it shifted into overdrive as i was going up a hill at about 40mph and started to bog down big time...i had the pedal all the way down and it kept slowing. after it finally downshifted, i drove on for about 60miles down the highway. after classes, i got back onto the interstate and drove for about 25 miles before i exited to hit the backroads. the first hill i encountered made the car slip, in what felt like a transmission slip, but at the same time the check engine light was blinking. i kept driving for about a 1/4 mile before i turned around because i knew my car wouldnt make it up the hill....too steep. i slowed down at a stop light and the car did not stall, but was idling VERY rough as if it wanted to stall. i proceeded to the nearest gas station using very light throttle before i came to a stop. when i stopped, it was idling rough in Drive, but when i shifted to neutral it seemed to ease up a bit, but not all the way. at this time the traction control light and check engine light were both on, not blinking, but on. I opened the hood, and noticed my power steering belt was fraying, and a noise that seemed to be like a knock on that side of the motor. i shut the car off and havent started it since it was towed back to my house. like i said in my previous post, there was nothing of a sign that a timing belt issue was forthcoming. oil pressure is fine, no coolant in the oil, tranny fluid is good, no oil leaks.....just went out and started it up, and it seemed to turn over ok.
Old 04-28-09, 08:57 PM
Mmarinich
Driver

thanks for the help
Old 04-29-09, 02:20 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

let me ask you, are you familiar with lockup clutch engangement? you have a 4 speed transmission with lock up clutch. in normal driving there will be 4 shifts then lock up . are you describing lock up? have you ever heard of paragraphs?
Old 04-29-09, 02:29 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

How do you know oil pressure is fine? Are you alright... i mean, what made you drive this car to pieces? I mean ****, you drove the car with a blinking CEL , then drove it some more with the CEL on. And then you say things that make it seem like you know something about cars somewhat, but then you can't even tell us what codes are stored in the computer.

Who says the timing belt gives you warning before it goes? Do you think it is broken? If so, why?

The engine is running poorly. Find out why. Maybe your lock up clutch is not properly disengaging. If so, then Transmission shop can fix your car If you don't know what to do , then you need to teach yourself, get taught[professionally], or have a shop do the repairs. If you want to take some time and fix it yourself, prepare for it mentally then go get the FSM, they are floating around on the internet. Get used to doing searches using the site and google.

But try and call a shop with what you said and see if they know exactly what is wrong with your car. They will laugh at you. And that's on the phone, even harder on computer.

Oink, cough, oink, chirp, cough...
Old 04-29-09, 04:57 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

There's a little over 50 different P series code. Yes it could be related to the timming belt. A professional would first verify the problem. IE car ran poorly when I drove it into the bay. He would then hook up a scanner and read the codes. Without the codes we can only say that it is probably related to the engine, or transmission.
Old 04-29-09, 11:10 AM
Mmarinich
Driver

i was simply describing what happened LL. If I knew what was going on, i wouldn't be posting. Sorry im so sick of writing papers for school...paragraphs would be the least of my worries at this time. I truly appreciate any help that i can get, and am just looking for some insight before I go talk to the mechanics that I plan on taking it to.

No i don't know what the lock up clutch is or does. I also do not have personal access to a scanner; therefore, i cannot run codes!

Again, I am just looking for some insight, thanks.
Old 04-29-09, 11:14 AM
Mmarinich
Driver

Had a class in the morning and would risk failing the class if i did not make it there on time. SO i had to keep driving in the morning. I needed to get home to my newborn daughter after school because my wife was with me, who supplies the food she needs. I would've loved to have stopped driving it immediately, but the car is not as important than my school grades or my daughter getting fed.
Old 04-29-09, 11:38 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

OK whatever I'm not debating with you your reason. I can only work from the perspective of the car as far as this forum.

You need to get the codes. This is really easy to get. Freely gotten at "autozone." Or pay someone to give you them. Come back with the codes, or if the car is still messed up, do not drive it, tow it to a shop so that you don't miss out on your transportation needs and get a rental car. There's very little else I can truly recommend.

Good luck with your family and your car and you/your schoolin'.
Old 04-29-09, 11:43 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

i used google and foudn this half-way decent explanation of TC lockup clutch

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

and

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&c...%3A_-st9mjisus
Old 04-29-09, 11:52 AM
Mmarinich
Driver

Thanks man, im not going to risk driving it to auto zone, but my boss has a scanner that i will be borrowing friday (the soonest ill have the time to get it). so ill keep you posted, thanks again for the article on the TC lockup clutch

Quick Reply: timing belt issue?