ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

95 ES300 startup and lighter port issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09, 03:37 PM
igbeserk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 ES300 startup and lighter port issue

Hey. I'm having some issues with my Lexus. Bought it back in january a 95 es300 with about 127k miles on it. basically had these problems not too long after and i had gotten the engine replaced. Now I'm having issues starting it up i know prior to that i had issues of starting it up once in a while. The mechanic said one of my coils were bad but i do not know if he had ever replaced it last i know about this (before he replaced my engine) he was going to take the ones from the back and put them in the front to try and figure out which one has gone bad. Now it's worse if i leave the car off for a long amount of time then i have to keep trying to start it up for a few times before i can give it some gas without it dying on me to keep it on. Then once it gets on everythings settled smooth ride, and if i turn it off and turn it back on or on in a few mins or an hour or so it will come on just fine. So i don't know what it could be someone told me it might be the fuel filter or fuel pump related issue. i know i needed a new fuel filter the mechanic told me. he said he replaced it though yet i still smell strong amount of gas... but looking on line seems to be either a fuel or coil related issue. Any advice would be helpful.

Also i have tried checking/replacing the fuse, also replacing my lighter port but i still can't get it to work. it worked for a bit when i first got the car then it stopped. i'm guessing it's the internal wires that are the issue? i don't know what i could do or try to see if i could get it to work.
Old 05-02-09, 08:45 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is easy to start when hot, but not when cold it sounds like a fuel issue, not ignition. To start I would check 1) ECM temp sensor, (the one for the ecm, not the one for the dash gauge). If the ECM does not know that the engine is cold, it will not inject extra fuel to help the engine start. 2) fuel pressure, once the car has been sitting for awhile, the fuel pressure can bleed off. There are check valves in the fuel system that are suppose to hold the pressure when the engine is off. Over time these valves will develop slow leaks, and loose all pressure. Making starts from cold harder. To check this requires a fuel pressure gauge that was designed for the fuel injected engine.

So start with the ECM coolant temp sensor.

Last edited by GEORGE_JET; 05-03-09 at 12:26 PM.