ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

92-96 Expansion valve or Compressor or both???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 11:41 AM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, if you hadn't, and it needed it later, that would be another ***** job and a recharge!!
Old 05-27-09, 12:34 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

m&m, that's a really good point. I don't think it [the drier] does catch everything, and I know a lot of people that stick inline filters maybe not on a new car, but on one that might have crud... in other words... somewhere on the return line AFTER the evaporator so that it doesn't go back to the compressor.
Old 05-27-09, 12:39 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus 72, yo bud, just read your latest stuff,

the debris was in the r134a coils or in the rest of it? the debris from the cabin doesn't get into the lines.

secondly, if he saw debris in the r134a coils of the evaporator, then the condenser should be replaced especially with r134a since it's nearly impossible to clean their type of coils.

also, replacing the drier was very smart. means your system will last a long time. I never do this-- but many people out there lazy-out and don't change it...
I also stick the proper oil in it first... "everything by the books" otherwise I get pissed off
Old 05-27-09, 12:56 PM
lexus72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by llcoolpass

the debris was in the r134a coils or in the rest of it? the debris from the cabin doesn't get into the lines.

secondly, if he saw debris in the r134a coils of the evaporator, then the condenser should be replaced especially with r134a since it's nearly impossible to clean their type of coils.

also, replacing the drier was very smart. means your system will last a long time. I never do this-- but many people out there lazy-out and don't change it...
I also stick the proper oil in it first... "everything by the books" otherwise I get pissed off
Wasn't implying that debris from the cabin filter area was entering the lines. I was simply commenting that without an air cabin filter, the external area of the evaporator was pretty dirty/nasty and dented up.

everything was by the book, but I'll have to ask why he didn't suggest to change out the condenser.
Old 05-27-09, 01:14 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by llcoolpass

Cool, got an issue here - ONLY add oil if you have changed out BOTH coils AND the drier AND the compressor. Worst mistake you can make is too much oil in the system - it takes up space in the lines, and doesn't allow the proper amount of freon in the system, and therefore never cools properly - BELIEVE ME - I went through this, and could NEVER get the oil that stays in the bottom of the coils to purge. Thank goodness traded that car in when I bought my Taco!
Old 07-21-09, 07:34 AM
craiger28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be under the dash on the passenger side, inside the car.