ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Speaker Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 07:02 PM
zerwick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Engine Noise

I just installed a new head unit with the metra wire harness and I am picking up engine noise on my speakers. Whenever you accelerate you can hear it through the speakers. It is like a whining sound. Does anybody know how I can get rid of this problem? Thanks

-Adam-
Old 03-25-02, 07:20 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I havent installed a new deck in mine yet but I work for a local shop. Was the radio hooked professionally or just stripped, tied and taped? No amps or anything right? Try running a new ground wire and dont rig one up either. Get you a blue ground ring and a ground screw and grab a nice flat bare metal surface to ground. What kind of radio? Brand new or used?
Old 03-25-02, 07:26 PM
zerwick
Driver School Candidate

Well I hooked up a Premier DEH-P930 by myself. I used the metra wire harness to plug into the factory harness. So instead of using the speaker outputs on the head unit I am using the RCA pre-out from the head unit. So I am still using the factory amp to power the speakers. I hooked up the ground wire from the head unit to the one provided by the factory wire harness.

-Adam-
Old 03-26-02, 09:54 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Mark, the first thing I'd do is redo the ground. Make sure you've got bare metal to ground to, file off any paint if it's not bare. Use a wire as thick or thicker as the one coming from the aftermarket HU, and keep the ground as short as reasonably possible.
Old 03-26-02, 10:32 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Use some good RCA's. Dont go buy expensive ones unless you get them real cheap. Ive seen a few wholesale prices and its not very pretty. Any dont forget the new ground.
Old 03-31-02, 06:39 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ITS THE Factory AMP

ITS not the ground . Its the LEX amp wiring. No matter what you do as long as you power those speakers with the factory amp you will always get the whine....You need to bypass the Factory amp and get an aftermarket amp....you will have to cut the wires to the speakers from the Lex Amp to go to your Aftermarket.....You can reroute the ground all day but it aint gonna go anywhere...The HU and the Lex AMP are married and there is engine noise once you disconnect one from the next...its the way they are grounded from factory. And dont buy those noise surpressors they will diminish it but not get rid of it. I have a 97 ES and have been through that ....
Old 03-31-02, 08:31 PM
zerwick
Driver School Candidate

Thanks you guys. I finally got sick of the engine noise and got rid of the factory amp. I wired the speakers to the head unit for now until I get a new amp. It sounds great!!

-Adam-
Old 04-05-02, 07:23 AM
Gizmo
Driver School Candidate

Was it hard to bypass the factory amp and wire it to the headunit? Thats basically what I want to do, as I think my headunit actually puts out more watts than the factory amp does, but I may be wrong. Does anyone know how many watts the factory amp outputs?
Old 04-05-02, 08:51 AM
zerwick
Driver School Candidate

It wasn't that hard at all. I removed the factory amp and cut off the blue wire harness. I then used a 9-volt battery to figure out which wires went to each speaker. Then I ran the speaker wire through the center console and hooked it up to the head unit. Since I the amp on the headunit only has four channels I spliced all of the front speakers together. It sounds great now.

-Adam-