ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 06:52 PM
heavyrotat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Purchase

Hey guys, I'm new here and about to buy a 97 ES300 with 190k miles to use as a highway car. First off, is it really worth worrying about the high miles? I currently own and have owned toyota and lexus products and have been very satisfied with how they hold up. What should I be looking for mechanically speaking? Any known issues when they get that high up in miles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-01-09, 07:08 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 1mz-fe has a proclivity for oil sludge
Old 06-01-09, 07:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

As long as it has the oil change records, you are all good. If this car has had its oil changes and fluids changed, basically bulletproof
Old 06-01-09, 07:12 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is a 98 that just hit 187,000 miles today and everything is running perfectly. just have to make sure it had its oil changes when needed and ive heard they last forever.
Old 06-01-09, 09:37 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

As long as the oil and oil filter has been changed when it was suppose to then it should be fine. I'm still trying to see how far I can take my 1996 ES 300 to...
Old 06-02-09, 08:35 AM
heavyrotat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.
Old 06-02-09, 09:46 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

"As long as the oil and oil filter has been changed when it was suppose to then it should be fine."

not true, just ask toyota/lexus
:-(
Old 06-04-09, 03:10 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you could look up service history from dealer here.. just add vin# to your profile and then remove it. it pulls records from dealers computer.
Old 06-05-09, 10:26 PM
97'ES
Driver

I don't buy it, never have, not with regular maintenance. This is from the official class action site http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/

"Toyota/Lexus says that
following its recommended maintenance schedule should prevent your car from experiencing oil gel." heres some more....Toyota insists the problem arises mainly when owners fail to change their oil frequently enough.
The agreement does not find Toyota at fault."

"The settlement doesn't mean that Toyota or Lexus vehicles are predisposed
to develop oil gel," according to the notice. "The court did not decide
which side was right."

By 2002 there were only 3,400 complaints, and how many years was the Camry the best selling car? 8 out of 9 years starting in 1997, all but 2002. I've seen estimates ranging from 2.5 to 4.3 million engines [both the 1MZ and 5S-FE] (both of which I own) sold in those 6 model years that have been labeled as "predisposed to sludge". So to sum it up, in 6 model years, and 7 different models of both Lexus and Toyota, assuming I use 2.5 million, the conservative estimate, there were 3,400 complaints, Thats a little more then a tenth of a percent . A tenth of one percent! 0.0013%! If had the time I'd get the approximate numbers on how many total vehicles were sold and you'd really get sick. What a crock of **** our legal system is. They were hardly all 1997's with 130k with the problem at the time either, they were people with newer cars, beating on them and not changing the oil on time. Many leases too which people forget. Many leases get driven like rentals. The reason, before you pipe up and say "Yeah but Toyota won't release the numbers now, so ha!" is so many ****ers jumped on the bandwagon between then and now that didn't maintain their vehicles because Toyotas "Never break" and "run forever" that the numbers would look beyond terrible for the company, when in fact they should look terrible for the owners. If you haven't met at least one person who completely disregards oil change intervals and routine maintenance, especially on toyotas and hondas because you can "usually" get away with it, then put a dress on me, call me Sally, I'll hit the boulevard shortly. Many other manufacturers had supposed problems with sludge in that time period. VW, Chrysler, Saab, Audi had some isolated problems to go along with their garbage electronics, Hyundai, it goes on. These manufacturers don't have a reputation for "superior" quality like Toyota, thats why you don't hear about it. In fact the numbers of complaints for that POS 2.7L Chrysler dwarf the Toyota numbers according to consumer reports by about 7-1. I see one of those 1998-2005 Intrepids around every corner with 3 plastic wheel covers and a deer size dent in the bumper and someone using my tax dollars to fill the gas tank, 2-5 grand for an engine overhaul or replacement? I don't think so. Need I expound anymore? Use M1 EP or better with a quality filter and change it every 5-7.5K and it's all good. Were there a few cases where there was no owner fault? I'm sure, I think I've seen 2 or 3 people on here claim to have sludge replacement. Hell you can make a case 3,400 is a few, even if by now its triple or quadruple that number, were still talking less then one percent . Everyone needs to exercise some common sense and in this litigious country it's tough to come by. Oh btw, the lawyers made over 1.8 million if you were wondering. Illcool I eagerly await your response attempting to prove me wrong, since your always right from everything I read on here. Sorry to thread jack rotat but i'm tired of hearing this sludge bull****. I've been on here a long time and I rarely say anything but enough is enough.

Last edited by 97'ES; 06-05-09 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 12:43 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

well 97 es you make good points but anyone who's seen the engines sees the geling [sludge] especially on the rear bank on many.. and it can jump in the system and cause a engine failure or lodge somewhere and cause it to grow there.

its still a matter of scientific investigation so no one really seems to have the final word on why it happened on so many cars in the 80s 90s... the intrepid 2.7 has a oil passage that was made wrong... corrected on the 2002+ version of the engine. I personally did a swap on one from 2.7 to 3.2 ... totally awesome to do that [even better 3.5 using the 2.7 tranny, i too kept the 2.7's better final drive trans]. totally laboring to do it though. wouldn't do it again unless I had the money and a good 3.5 and no rush.

I couldn't agree more with using "M1 EP or better with a quality filter" obviously if the car is running well, the oil can be changed much later than 7500, but if really old and likely fuel and crap getting in the oil... smart to change around 5-7.5K miles

you don't hear too many 3vz-fe having failure like the 1mz-fe. they run nice and cool, in head, especially 92 and 93 [since, in the worldmarket, the 3vz-fe remained in the windom until 97]. less MPG the price you pay though
Old 06-06-09, 08:03 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Use Mobil 1 synthetic = problem solved.

Had my valve cover gasket replaced last year. I watched so I could see inside the engine because of this sludge issue. Engine was in pristine condition. Mechanic said it looked brand new with no signs of slugging anywhere.
Old 06-06-09, 09:03 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

saying valve cover gasket is extremely imprecise in context- is it rear or front head that you saw?

and are you claiming you used mobil 1 for a long time, and then when you saw the engine, it looked pristine?

thanks,
B
Old 06-07-09, 06:11 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
saying valve cover gasket is extremely imprecise in context- is it rear or front head that you saw?

and are you claiming you used mobil 1 for a long time, and then when you saw the engine, it looked pristine?

thanks,
B
Both the front and the rear gaskets were replaced last year. I have been using mobil 1 since 2000.
Old 06-07-09, 03:56 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

yeah, you'll say anything to sell that car ;-)

yeah mobil 1 tends to leave an engine nice and clean
Old 06-07-09, 06:32 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
yeah, you'll say anything to sell that car ;-)

yeah mobil 1 tends to leave an engine nice and clean
HAHA!

ok i'm going to keep my mouth shut until the car sells, lol. Not trying to sell it on here, fyi.

Just trying to help out the OP, its a great car and I wouldn't worry too much about the oil sludge problem.

Quick Reply: New Purchase