ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

96 ES300 engine Problems (Need Help!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 01:14 AM
supratp23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ES300 engine Problems (Need Help!!)

Hi guys.

Well I have been having trouble out of my car. The car starts fine. It even will drive fine under light acceleration. But when u mash on it and it gears down and comes up through the rpm, around 4k rpm it is just like the car completely dies, the rpms drop about 1500 and its like the engine starts running again and starts to climb back up through the rpm.

Also sometimes when u are at a stop then take off a little heavy on the throttle, the car will just die completely and u will have to start it back up.

I am very stomped on this one. I need some help.
I Took it to get the codes ran on it cause it had a check engine light on and it was showing a 0171 code, something like bank 1 lean. dont really know what this means. I have replaced the cat and that didnt help. looked over everything i can think of that would cause it and i cant find anything.

When driving it seems like its the ecu cutting the motor off, it almost feels like its hitting a speed cut on a car, the way it just cuts off then comes back on when the rpm drops. all the lights stay on when this happens so its not like the whole car dies.

Help please any help will be very much appreciated

Thanks
Tony
Old 06-05-09, 05:37 AM
supratp23
Rookie

Any help at all guys? i really need to fix this problem.
Old 06-05-09, 06:15 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

How many miles since the last tuneup? P0171 is for too rich, so I would start with two things. First check the fuel regulator, and the vac lines going to it. During normal operation you should have vac to the regulator. So check for split or disconnected hoses, and a stuck vsv valve (the valve inline with the regulator). I would purchase a section of new vac hose and temp bypass the valve to rule that out.

The next thing to test would be the coolant temp sensor. Keep in mind that the temp sensor used by the ECM IS NOT the same sensor used by the dash gauge. So just because the dash gauge reads normally, it is no indication that the ECM is seeing the same thing.

What is the level of your mechanical experience? Do you have access to a scanner? If you would be interested in purchasing a scanner it would be a major asset while trying to troubleshoot this type of problem. Your car is OBDII compliant, there are many different companies that make scanners for this type of car. If you do a search on ebay, you can find USB computer interfaces for as little as $50.
Old 06-05-09, 08:57 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George is right, i would further say i have no idea why the catalytic converter was replaced, not until you explain that, anyway.

what a horrible rash of people with heavy problems and no experience wanting us to do all the work for them ... hopefully not a negative trait of ES 300 owners -- or maybe it's just the economy
and they're all recent joiners to the site part annoys me more
--or maybe they think cars are easy, and mechanics are stupid, so they surely can find just a quick answer that even they can do--if that's the case, then this finger is up, see it, right here

Last edited by llcoolpass; 06-05-09 at 09:02 AM.