ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Insane solution to trunk bass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-02, 05:50 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Insane solution to trunk bass?

Its all about getting BASS inside the car. You might want to read this before reading more. http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Well the pictures should explain everthing. Disregard the crude drawings, you will get the idea. The speakers on the new back deck would be Pioneer 6x9 4-ways with nothing but special carpet that doesnt block the noise from coming through. The 2 Orion woofers in the custom built box where the armrest was, are 10's. The 6x9's will also be sealed with a baffle like this one http://pix.crutchfield.com/lifestyle/2000/l237XT40.jpeg . I can only do one at a time though.

Last edited by Lexbox; 03-27-02 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-27-02, 05:51 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

This is the after pictures
Attached Thumbnails Insane solution to trunk bass?-edited55.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 03-27-02 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-27-02, 05:55 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

This is the new backdeck and the main point of the thread. before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Insane solution to trunk bass?-edited7.jpg  
Old 03-27-02, 06:14 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

I dont really know about the rest. But maybe something like the picture below. You should recognize the box in the middle for the 2 10's in the old armrest spot. The rest is up for ideas. I drew the picture considering to 15's in a triangle shaped box with plexiglass on the other side, firing right through the new "super deck port" hehe like the red arrow in the other pic.
Attached Thumbnails Insane solution to trunk bass?-edited6.jpg  
Old 03-28-02, 09:51 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

From what I can tell in the pictures, it's along the lines of what I'm planning. I'm gonna be firing the sub and ports up, a few inches below the cut-out deck and sealed off from the trunk. I'm gonna be using a Digital Designs 9515 in a big ported box and 1 or 2 Memphis 1000D's. I've gotta get new tweeters and get the kicks built before I start on the trunk; but it's getting warmer now so I can start working harder.
Old 03-28-02, 06:06 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Im not going with kickpods immediately, Im kinda short so I will BLOCK the path of the kickpod. Im going to start from the ground up. I want to build around the groundwork laid out. Ive seen people in our cars immediately put some 6.5's 2/3-ways in the doors. WRONG!!!

I will first replace the 6.5" WOOFERS with better 6.5" WOOFERS! Probably Orion 6.5" MIDBASS(Midbass do not serve exactly the same function as subwoofers do). I was thinking of Orion 8" MIDBASS but they are so close in size to the 10's. I think it may be pointless but I am still investigating. And of course replace the tweeters with tweeters but only bigger. I dont know what can be crammed in there exactly but I will figure it out when I get there. I still dont know if they will me Memphis with component passive crossover. Or the baddest Pioneer's with crossovers.

Here is the tricky part. Where do you find a 2.5" MIDRANGE speaker to replace the one in the dash? I dont know either. I cant just put an amp on 15w speakers, you know? I dont think the hole can be modified for a 3.5" which would be too easy. I would like to have everything the same brand. Pioneer, Orion, Memphis crossover, and Stinger wiring.

The only lead I have for a 2.5" speaker is some of the Newer Lexus models have 2.5" speakers that are hopefully way better. They also have a beefier stock amp than we do so they can handle more power.

Now the bigger pain in the but is how do you add more speakers because it probably wont be loud enough and still keep the SOUND QUALITY. Cant put more 2.5" in the dash I dont believe. So I think we are all damned.

Then replace the normal stuff like headunit. Add the 10's in the armrest. add the 15's (hopefully I can fit 4 to fire through the deck. Which brings me to my next picture. That is a very crappy drawing but you get it. I was too lazy to add more plexi in the drawing.

Forget my ranting and raving. Im strung out on Sound Quality FAQ's.
Attached Thumbnails Insane solution to trunk bass?-edited9.jpg  

Last edited by Lexbox; 03-28-02 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-29-02, 10:23 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can fit 8's in the front door, do it. The lower you can cross over the midbass speakers in the front, the more it will draw the bass up front for better soundstaging.

I don't think more speakers are the solutions to getting louder, IMO it's more power (and speakers that can take it). All I'm gonna have in the front of my car is 2 Digital Designs 6.5's and 2 Vifa XT-25 tweeters, all in the kicks. No rear fill, since I feel it often distracts from front staging unless properly crossed over, level-set and time-aligned. I've got 2 Memphis ST-300 amps for the front stage so each mid and each tweeter will be getting 150 watts. 600 watts for the front stage will get as loud as I could want.

I subscribe to the theory that too many speakers complicates imaging and staging, and makes it more difficult to get a solid image; and that there ideally shouldn't be more than 1 pair of speakers playing each frequency range, especially midrange. Multiple midranges can really mess things up, although multiple midbasses are much more acceptable and another set of tweeters playing the real high frequencies can also work well.

The DD 6.5's can play 50 Hz. to 3500 Hz. at very high levels without breaking a sweat, and the Vifa tweets can go down to 1500 Hz., so I'll have some flexibility on where to cross them over; but I believe the best way is to keep it simple; I'd prefer to have 2 drivers that are able to easily do the job of 3 drivers. I'd considered a 3 way set since I've got DD 5.0's laying around, I could've used ported door pods for the 6.5's for midbass and the kicks would've been much smaller with the 5.0's. The 6.5's are more like 6 3/4" and 3.25" deep, and the Vifa is a home tweeter with a 4 1/8" mounting flange, so the kicks are gonna take some footroom . I have relocated the wiring in the kicks to make more room.

Dynaudio makes a 3 inch dome midrange that I'm sure is amazing if you could fit it in the stock location, but I don't know how the hole is setup there and there might be a larger mounting flange on the Dyn midrange, I don't know.

Well, enough of my rambling.