ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Ticking and Smoking - 1998 ES300 209,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 06:10 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12340987
ticking from top end usually means valves/lifters/cams doesn't it? You could try seafoam if you are feeling lucky.
Got nothing to lose, just $7, and I saw some rather convincing photos on this very forum.
I've been reading about Seafoam and there are not many (if any) negative comments about it. I think I'll try it. Thanks. My new mechanic also said a heavier weight oil will help what ticking is left.
Old 06-11-09, 07:22 PM
Driver

Originally Posted by mpringle
Of course, I like the exterior styling and trim of the 98 much better than the 96s..
Outrageous, they don't have projector headlights like the 92-96.

Everything I've read points to the valve lifters, but after I did the valve covers gaskets etc, the ticking noise is minimal. I don't know why that would make a difference, but I'm not a mechanic.
Yeah that is odd, can someone explain that? I have some ticking from the same area that I thought was normal, and if I could get it to the point where I couldn't hear it, it would be nice. I do have a 3vz though.

Anyway, I now have three es300s (two 1996, one 1998) in great condition and no leaks: 209,600 miles (My car), 204,000 miles (teenage daughter's car), and the baby with 140,000 miles (teenage son's car).
You should adopt me.

Last edited by 12340987; 06-11-09 at 07:42 PM. Reason: is it dual package or projector?
Old 06-11-09, 09:01 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont put thicker oil.

get another opinion

seafoam is ok if done properly, if not your engine can break
Old 06-13-09, 07:40 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
dont put thicker oil.

get another opinion

seafoam is ok if done properly, if not your engine can break
What's the drawback of using thicker oil?

I'm looking to get another four years or 36,000 miles out of the car. I only drive about 9,000 miles a year. The ticking is still there, although not as bad as before. But, it's annoying more than anything else.
Old 06-13-09, 07:44 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that is odd, can someone explain that? I have some ticking from the same area that I thought was normal, and if I could get it to the point where I couldn't hear it, it would be nice. I do have a 3vz though.

You should adopt me.
The ticking is still there for me too, although not as bad as before. But, it's annoying more than anything else. I'm going to try Seafoam, then use a heavier weight oil.

I'll only adopt you if are a Certified Lexus mechanic. :-)
Old 06-13-09, 12:59 PM
Driver

Must be 110 degrees in georgia right now.
What grade oil are you using? How many miles do you drive the car every day?
I'd say 10w30, because you can use that in virtually any car, in any climate. 10w40 may not be out of the question.

coolpass is right though, just using thicker oil wouldn't address the problem. Unless you are using really thin oil now.
Old 06-13-09, 01:29 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Why do you want to use thicker oil? These engines have mechanical lifters, if they were hydraulic lifters, I could see the point. If you think that it is the valves than I would suggest adj them.. Are you sure it is not a exhaust leak up bu the header flange?
Old 06-13-09, 02:19 PM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Why do you want to use thicker oil? These engines have mechanical lifters, if they were hydraulic lifters, I could see the point. If you think that it is the valves than I would suggest adj them.. Are you sure it is not a exhaust leak up bu the header flange?
Unfortunatly, I'm not a mechanic and can't just adjust the valves. I'd have to pay someone. From what I understand, they'd have to remove the valve covers. but, I just replaced the gaskets. From what I understand, adjusting valves is expensive. One of the reputable and certified Lexus mechanics said that a heavier weight oil might "soften the ticking", but obviously not fix it. I just don't like the ticking "sound" which I can hear when the passengers window is down and the ticking sound bounces off a car or wall to my right.
Old 06-13-09, 02:42 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

If the valves are making that much noise, I would be VERY concerned. Take the car to another idenpendent shop and ask them what they think. Most small shops will be happy to listen to the engine and give you a second opinion for free. Read some of the other posts about experiences people have had taking the cars to a dealer. Some of their mechanics are very good, and some I would not want changing out a light bulb. Do not put too much faith in their certification.
Old 06-13-09, 04:19 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Here is something I found on the web about troubleshooting exhaust leaks. I recomend at least giving the exhaust system a good visual inspection, look for discoloration, especially the rear bank.

With mechanical lifters, it does not make any sense that one bank would make soo much more noise than the other. You would hope that the wear would be a little more even. A leak makes more sense. And unfortunately more serious due the CO.
troubleshootexhaust.txt
Old 06-13-09, 08:57 PM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Here is something I found on the web about troubleshooting exhaust leaks. I recomend at least giving the exhaust system a good visual inspection, look for discoloration, especially the rear bank.

With mechanical lifters, it does not make any sense that one bank would make soo much more noise than the other. You would hope that the wear would be a little more even. A leak makes more sense. And unfortunately more serious due the CO.
Attachment 145502
I don't know anything about exhaust leaks, but I don't think it's that. This engine ticking noise gets more frequent as the rpm increases and conversely less frequent as the rpm decreases. The ticking is coming from the timing belt side or passenger side, near the cylinders closest to the firewall – rear of the engine. It does not change in pitch or intensity. However, again, it is linked with the engine rpm --speeds up and slows down with the engine. It sounds like two dry sticks tapping together, a very clean sound. It's not very loud but it is obvious and annoying once you know it’s there – but only if the passenger side window is down or you are outside the car. The engine drowns out the ticking when driving. You cannot hear the ticking at all, from inside the car, when the windows are closed / up.

BTW, I took it to an independent Lexus shop (Not dealership) to have the VCGs done. They didn't think the ticking was that big of a deal.

Last edited by mpringle; 06-13-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-13-09, 09:32 PM
Driver

I took my to a dealer and they told me a lot of thing that weren't true. You could probably get a mechanics stethoscope for $10 and poke around until you find something. I've read suggestions for using a length of hose or pipe to pinpoint noises.

If an exhaust bolt happens to be loose it might rattle just right to make that noise. Just push/pull/wiggle on all the exhaust parts and see.

This ticking happens in park/neutral/drive right? Nothing to do with speed?
Old 06-14-09, 12:39 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your problem reminds me of so mnay jap. engines ive worked on.

look at the engine for sludge, oi lstarvation causing noise at high rpm from oil starvation

look at oil pressure readings at idle, then at 3000
Old 06-14-09, 07:06 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 12340987
I took my to a dealer and they told me a lot of thing that weren't true. You could probably get a mechanics stethoscope for $10 and poke around until you find something. I've read suggestions for using a length of hose or pipe to pinpoint noises.

If an exhaust bolt happens to be loose it might rattle just right to make that noise. Just push/pull/wiggle on all the exhaust parts and see.

This ticking happens in park/neutral/drive right? Nothing to do with speed?
Yes, ticking happens in park/neutral/drive. Again, it might just be me. It's really not very loud, but now that I've noticed it, I focus on it. OCD :-)
Old 06-14-09, 07:12 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
your problem reminds me of so mnay jap. engines ive worked on.

look at the engine for sludge, oi lstarvation causing noise at high rpm from oil starvation

look at oil pressure readings at idle, then at 3000
Yeah, the mechanic who changed the VCGs said the engine has NO sludge. He said, evidently the owner before me had a nice maintenance schedule for oil changes. He thought the engine looked great for a 200,000+ mile car.

I drives GREAT and the slight ticking is the ONLY problem so far. I can live with it if it doesn't get loud. I only paid $3500 for the 98' ES300 two weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Ticking and Smoking - 1998 ES300 209,000 miles