ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Ticking and Smoking - 1998 ES300 209,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-09, 07:32 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking and Smoking - 1998 ES300 209,000 miles

I just bought a 1998 ES300 with 209,000 miles on it. I bought it because I already have two high-mile (140,000 and 204,000) ES300s that run GREAT. The new car however has an oil leak, but there is only a little bit of oil on the ground. I just had the oil changed. Now, there is a ticking noise that gets more frequent and louder as the RPMs increase and conversely less frequent as the RPMs decreases. The sound is coming from the timing belt side of the engine towards the rear. In addition, now there is white smoke that comes from that same area after the car is running for only 30 seconds or so. The smell is strong. I cannot see where the smoke is coming from exactly, but it is coming from the back left side of the engine…somewhere below the intake plenum, in a bout a five inch wide pillar of smoke. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Sounds like I may have bought a money pit . I am not mechanically inclined so, take it easy on me.

Last edited by mpringle; 06-08-09 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 07:57 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

sounds like a exhaust leak and a valve cover leak. Both are rather minor. Buy yourself a Hayes, or Chilton manual, it will take you thru the steps to repair the leaks. While your repairing the valve cover leak, it would be a good time to replace the spark plugs. (because you will have to take off the intake plenum). Plugs can be replaced while the plenum is in place, but it is much easier with it off.
Old 06-08-09, 04:09 PM
jsn27282
Driver School Candidate

not that it matters, but i had a '98 buick regal with 239,000 miles on it when i sold it in '06 to buy my '04 es330.
Old 06-08-09, 04:35 PM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
sounds like a exhaust leak and a valve cover leak. Both are rather minor. Buy yourself a Hayes, or Chilton manual, it will take you thru the steps to repair the leaks. While your repairing the valve cover leak, it would be a good time to replace the spark plugs. (because you will have to take off the intake plenum). Plugs can be replaced while the plenum is in place, but it is much easier with it off.
I got confirmation from the Lexus dealership that the VCGs are leaking. I didn't realize there were two VCGs to replace. I think I'm going to wimp out and pay someone to replace them. I don't think my first attempt should be this complicated (relatively speaking for someone who has never done this). The Lexus dealership quoted me $893 to replace the gaskets and address the ticking noise coming from the rear bank. This seems a lot since the gaskets are no more than $50. Even if I tried to replace the gaskets, I wouldn’t know where to begin with the ticking noise. Oh well, it’s just money. Talk me out of it if I’m wrong. I live in Roswell, GA if you know of a less-expensive but honest mechanic. Lexus has always been expensive, but their service is great, they seem honest, and they give you a loaner car.
Old 06-08-09, 05:04 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

I would strongly recommend calling a few independent shops, and at least get a qoute. It is very easy for a professional to replace the gaskets, it as listed at just under 3 hours book time.

I do not understand what ADDRESS THE TICKING NOISE means, they should have told you what they intend to do. IE replace gasket, tighten bolts, what?

I would go to a few small shops, ask them for their opinions, then go with the one that you feel best with. I am sure that you should be able to find one that will do it for less than half that price. And it is good to build a relationship with them for the next time.
Old 06-09-09, 08:48 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

try using yelp to find mechanics + reviews on them in your area. link.
Old 06-10-09, 12:43 AM
Driver

ticking from top end usually means valves/lifters/cams doesn't it? You could try seafoam if you are feeling lucky.
Got nothing to lose, just $7, and I saw some rather convincing photos on this very forum.
Old 06-10-09, 06:22 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
I would strongly recommend calling a few independent shops, and at least get a qoute. It is very easy for a professional to replace the gaskets, it as listed at just under 3 hours book time.

I do not understand what ADDRESS THE TICKING NOISE means, they should have told you what they intend to do. IE replace gasket, tighten bolts, what?

I would go to a few small shops, ask them for their opinions, then go with the one that you feel best with. I am sure that you should be able to find one that will do it for less than half that price. And it is good to build a relationship with them for the next time.
Well, I wimped out and paid someone to change the valve cover gaskets.

I got three quotes:
Lexus Dealership: $893
Reputable Certified Lexus Mechanic: $650
Regular Joe Mechanic: $450

I used the Certified Lexus Mechanic because he thoroughly explained everything he was going to do and it matched everything I've read. The Reg Joe just gave me a price and nothing else...that scared me.
Old 06-10-09, 09:06 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, i only charge people, as "regular joe mechanic," 130 bucks to do the vcgx2, and 200 [and i strongly rec at the same time if its close to, or past due ] to do the timing belt then. parts not incl in that price.

so, I'm confused, what was the ticking noise, what did you do about it, etc?
Old 06-10-09, 09:34 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
damn, i only charge people, as "regular joe mechanic," 130 bucks to do the vcgx2, and 200 [and i strongly rec at the same time if its close to, or past due ] to do the timing belt then. parts not incl in that price.

so, I'm confused, what was the ticking noise, what did you do about it, etc?
Everything I've read points to the valve lifters, but after I did the valve covers gaskets etc, the ticking noise is minimal. I don't know why that would make a difference, but I'm not a mechanic.

BTW, I did the timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals last week.

Anyway, I now have three es300s (two 1996, one 1998) in great condition and no leaks: 209,600 miles (My car), 204,000 miles (teenage daughter's car), and the baby with 140,000 miles (teenage son's car).
Old 06-10-09, 09:38 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 12340987
ticking from top end usually means valves/lifters/cams doesn't it? You could try seafoam if you are feeling lucky.
Got nothing to lose, just $7, and I saw some rather convincing photos on this very forum.
My mechanic said there was zero sludge in the engine. The ticking is still there, but not as bad as it was after the VCGs were fixed.

Last edited by mpringle; 06-10-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 10:41 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do the 96 compare to the 98
Old 06-10-09, 07:57 PM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
how do the 96 compare to the 98
They all drive great. I don't know why someone would spend $15,000 on a new American made car when you can buy a mid-1990’s es300 for $3500. They drive better and are built tighter – inside and out. New American made cars are tin cans on wheels.

The cars handle about the same to me. The 1998 ES seems a little bigger, which I love since I’m 6'4". Also, the cup holder in the 98 is NOT in front of the radio which is HUGE to me. The stereo seems better, I don’t know if it’s a different stereo or the acoustics in the car are different. Anyway, I haven’t noticed a whole lot of difference in the handling of the cars, but then I’ve only had the 1998 ES for a week. I’ve driven the 96 ES for 10 years. Both 96s have had check engine light issues (EGR problems). I'm working on fixing the issues. Of course, I like the exterior styling and trim of the 98 much better than the 96s.

I drove a 350 the other day. It’s much bigger and faster. However, I’m holding out for a certified pre-owned LS...in about 4-5 years.

Last edited by mpringle; 06-11-09 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 09:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

200k miles, hope those cam and crank seals are changed.
Old 06-11-09, 04:22 AM
mpringle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
200k miles, hope those cam and crank seals are changed.
I had the timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals done last week. Did valve cover gaskets this week. No leaks anywhere now. I need to do the engine mounts now.

Quick Reply: Ticking and Smoking - 1998 ES300 209,000 miles