ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Easy on seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 05:18 PM
buci
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexpilot
Cold Shock?
You want to let it sit for only a few minutes to loosen the carbon deposits while warm.
Then restart while it is warm and rev it to blow the crap out.
Also restarting after a just a few minutes keeps the catalytic converter hot so the stuff will burn up.
If you wait over night it could block the converter till it runs long enough to get hot.

I've saved a couple old 2 stroke boat motors that had stuck rings with SeaFoam and believe it does some good in auto engines also.
I used Phoenix's advice on SeaFoam on both my ES300s and other Lexus/Toyota repairs. He has forgotten more than most here know or claim to know.
Let it sit for few minutes?Funny..What the hell you think you are using 'holy water"?Those carbon deposits are built up over years and you are going to clean them in "few minutes".That's...really funny.THAT WHITE SMOKE IS ONLY THE SEAFOAM BURNING NOTHING ELSE.I just took the intake apart few days ago after 4 seafoam treatment 30 min each(I am to old to belive in 5 min anymore).it had easy 2-3 millimiters(Inches?we have to ask the Romans for that) black sludge inside,tried to clean it with a brush and carbon cleaner and got nowhere.So,dont tell me that few minutes will do it.When i finished cleaning (as much as i could) and restarted the car,guess what?i had a lot of white smoke but i did not use seafoam...it was just the carb cleaner burning.Whats the difference if it keeps cat converter hot or not?Stuff will burn up by the Converter?What stuff?Seafoam?sure it will.Don't need the converter for that,that engine thing will do it just fine.ONLY SOME1 WHO'S NEVE SEEN SLUDGE WILL BELIEVE THAT 5 MINUTES WILL DO IT.
Old 06-16-09, 11:40 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buci,
thank you for saying all that. feel all alone on here, sometimes. the dif between me and you is that I would have been ''aggressive' LOL

anyway, careful guys, seafoam is good but you gotta use it right. here's the procedure I keep posting in the hopes that it gets read :

THIS is the correct procedure [for the last damned time lol]:
[[paraphrase from a mazda tsb:]]
Bring engine to normal operating temperature, then shut engine off.
2. Use a 610mm (?!) length of 1/8" I.D. vacuum hose as a feed tube for seafoam, although it is strongly advised to use an aerosol cleaner to eliminate the risk of liquid lock (some techs have done it). Do not use any of the vehicle's vacuum hoses for feeding cleaner into the engine otherwise they may deteriorate as a result (vacuum leaks on all those possible hoses is tedious).
3. Connect one end of the feed tube to the Purge Control vacuum port on the upper intake manifold and place the other end of the feed tube in the can of seafoam, or to the spray nozzle of an aerosol. If a liquid bottle is used the feed rate must be at least 30 secs to avoid hydraulic lock-up damage.
4. Pinch the feed-tube with locking forceps or locking pliars to prevent suction during start-up.
5. Restart engine.
6. Allow idle to stabilise, then feed the cleaner into the engine by releasing the locking pliars/forceps while lifting engine speed to 3000rpm until half the cleaner is used. If using liquid feed, ensure feed-rate is always erring on the safe side by kinking the tube (a thumb screw clamp is ideal). If using a spray feed (preferred) keep shaking the can vigorously. At the half point allow the engine to stall, or shut-it off.
7. The vehicle should be left to sit for 6-24hrs allowing the cleaner to saturate the carbon, the initial intake of cleaner loosens carbon by both dissolving and also by a cold-shock.
8. Flush remaining carbon by repeating the above steps using the remaining half of the carb cleaner. Do not let the engine stall during the procedure.
9. Remove the feed tube & reconnect the purge control vacuum line.
10. Change oil & oil filter to remove contaminants & carbon in the oil which will otherwise be pumped through all parts of the engine.
11. Take the car on a 3-4 mile test drive, using the full-rpm range to remove any remaining cleaner or carbon from the engine.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 06-16-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 07:14 PM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lmfao.... lmao LOL!!!!!.. sorry im laughing because, ive done seafoam so many times thru the brake booster line and never hydrolock a engine.. what i do is, make sure the engine is already warm.. i turn the car on , let it idle, pull the brake booster line off, covering my thumb over the hose.. then i have a 1/3 seafoam in a cup, which i poured it into.. u take the brake booster line hose and take ur thumb off a it a lil and that sucking sound from the hose, will suck the seafoam up.. "YOU HAVE THE LET IT SUCK IT UP LITTLE BY LITTLE" OR otherwise hydrolock motor.. you cannot just stick the hose in the cup, cause it will **** the engine up.. then once the seafoam is all sucked up. turn the car off... wait 5-10 mins.. start the car up... it'll starting want the engine to die, so keep ur foot on the accelerator pedal by reving it up a lil... "ALOT OF SMOKE WILL STARTING TO COME OUT".. that is a GOOD thing, cause ur cleaning the carbon out!!... go for a small drive and stomp on it a couple of time to clean it out.. it will smoke like "SMOKEY THE BANDIT".. ahaha..

thanks.