ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 12:53 AM
bhandsome5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Lights

I have a 2000 lexus es300. Has anyone done the HID conversion? Any pics on how it looks? And what do you recommend me getting? brand, model etc
Old 07-02-09, 12:59 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you asking about a retrofit, or a PNP kit?
Old 07-02-09, 01:19 AM
bhandsome5
Driver School Candidate

I have no clue bro I am a noob.. What's is the difference? How much will I spend..
I want my headlights to look like the newer cars... Like my girl has a 09 avalon that has HID lighting.
Old 07-02-09, 02:18 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Below are my 6000k HID lights...
Old 07-02-09, 02:31 AM
bhandsome5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
Below are my 6000k HID lights...
how much did you spend? Where did you get it from? What items are needed?
Old 07-02-09, 02:37 AM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Got them off ebay, they are just globes. You simply plug them in.
Old 07-02-09, 09:48 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Exclamation All you need to know!

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
Got them off ebay, they are just globes. You simply plug them in.

Originally Posted by bhandsome5
I have a 2000 lexus es300. Has anyone done the HID conversion? Any pics on how it looks? And what do you recommend me getting? brand, model etc
Projector = different light output vs. halogen housing.

With that said here is my 2001 ES300 with a 6000k kit:

Now, let me educate you for a bit, since you are a self admitted n00b.

DO NOT get ANYTHING OVER '6000k color temperature'. Do not be one of those clowns that get a 30000k kit.

Anything > 6000k = useless, in terms of light output, and performance. Past 6000k you will get less light output on the roads in terms of visibility. At that point all you get is the 'look' of some gay purple or super blue bulbs.

Furthermore, the higher temperatures fail to light up more elements of the road as the color is not as effective in terms of perception via your eyes.

I am no scientist, but this concept does apply, and frankly don't even know how to begin to explain it.

Last, a 4300k kit is ideal since 95% of manufacturers use this range for their OEM HID lamps. That temperature comes out white and lights up the best.

Now you may wonder why I got the 6000k kit? Well it cost me 20$ and it was free install!

Last what company should you go with?

Again, DO NOT look further than these guys/company.

Reasons?

They are the most cost-effective [in many scneario's found to be cheaper in terms of $$ than the cheap JUNK chinese kits, essentially the 'no name brands'] Many people can vouch for these guys, they give you a warranty and believe it or not, they actually stick with it! Amongst my circle of friends' we all have been using these kits for extended amounts of time with no signs of slowing down...

Last word of advice,AIM THEM PROPERLY! Once installed, take the time to find solid ground, or get someone to AIM THEM for you [if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself!]. If you do not, it shows you are careless and WILL blind ALL ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

Mine are properly aimed, the cutoff is not bad at all for a halogen housing, and i have yet to get 'flashed' for having HIDs. Whereas i see many people like that in my area that can care less and frankly i would love to run such morons off the road!

GL, post end results,
Mike
Old 07-02-09, 01:07 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have them on my 97 es300. as 01LEXPL don't get anything over 6000k, this is from experiences i have 8000k and my fog 3000k takes over it easily. Yes aim them correctly also. I have yet to be flashed by on coming traffic so i guessed i did mines right
but here are some of my pics

I have 8000k Hid (dont do it you will regret it), and 3000k fog (will not regret ahahaha)

This is my cut off

as for brand 01LEXPL is right i got my 3000k bulbs from them and they are wonderful.

I want my headlights to look like the newer cars... Like my girl has a 09 avalon that has HID lighting.
but i have a feeling you want the retrofit, because you want it like the new cars.

if that is so, you can take a look here this is what a smitty (a member on this forum) did
Old 07-02-09, 02:44 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah, forgot yours is a 2000 model, I'm running projectors...

But 6000K is a good option, it is really white, and has a good amount of light output on the road. I tried 4300K and wasn't happy with the output colour, it was whiter, but wasn't a big difference from stock. I'm happy with the 6000K, which has a blue/white output.
Old 07-02-09, 03:21 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

ouch... hid's in a reflector bowl housing... =/
Old 07-02-09, 07:29 PM
bhandsome5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

DO NOT get ANYTHING OVER '6000k color temperature'. Do not be one of those clowns that get a 30000k kit.

Anything > 6000k = useless, in terms of light output, and performance. Past 6000k you will get less light output on the roads in terms of visibility. At that point all you get is the 'look' of some gay purple or super blue bulbs.

Furthermore, the higher temperatures fail to light up more elements of the road as the color is not as effective in terms of perception via your eyes.

I am no scientist, but this concept does apply, and frankly don't even know how to begin to explain it.

Last, a 4300k kit is ideal since 95% of manufacturers use this range for their OEM HID lamps. That temperature comes out white and lights up the best.

Now you may wonder why I got the 6000k kit? Well it cost me 20$ and it was free install!

Reasons?

They are the most cost-effective [in many scneario's found to be cheaper in terms of $$ than the cheap JUNK chinese kits, essentially the 'no name brands'] Many people can vouch for these guys, they give you a warranty and believe it or not, they actually stick with it! Amongst my circle of friends' we all have been using these kits for extended amounts of time with no signs of slowing down...

Last word of advice,AIM THEM PROPERLY! Once installed, take the time to find solid ground, or get someone to AIM THEM for you [if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself!]. If you do not, it shows you are careless and WILL blind ALL ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

Mine are properly aimed, the cutoff is not bad at all for a halogen housing, and i have yet to get 'flashed' for having HIDs. Whereas i see many people like that in my area that can care less and frankly i would love to run such morons off the road!

GL, post end results,
Mike

Thanks dude good info
Old 07-02-09, 07:30 PM
bhandsome5
Driver School Candidate

Yes I want retrofit.. How much do you think I will spend? What brand is good?

Originally Posted by DixonPai
I have them on my 97 es300. as 01LEXPL don't get anything over 6000k, this is from experiences i have 8000k and my fog 3000k takes over it easily. Yes aim them correctly also. I have yet to be flashed by on coming traffic so i guessed i did mines right
but here are some of my pics

I have 8000k Hid (dont do it you will regret it), and 3000k fog (will not regret ahahaha)

This is my cut off

as for brand 01LEXPL is right i got my 3000k bulbs from them and they are wonderful.

but i have a feeling you want the retrofit, because you want it like the new cars.

if that is so, you can take a look here this is what a smitty (a member on this forum) did
Old 07-02-09, 07:50 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Exclamation

^^ there is no 'brand' when it comes to retrofit.

I highly recommend getting [in order of best output] Acura TSX projectors, BMW 3 series projectors, RX330
The downside TSX projectors = $$ ... The 3 series projectors = more affordable and widely avail., also i have been informed the RX330 projectors are a really good bang for the buck!

again the TSX is the 'best' however they are pricey for that reason alone and that is assuming you can eve get a set!

In terms of cost, well it will be quite a bit, worst is finding someone willing to do them [assuming you wont do it yourself].

For that, i suggest registering on http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ , there you will get far superior answers to all your questions, and odds are there is someone reasonably close to your area/state willing & doing these retrofits.

In terms of price, well you get what you pay for, and they can get expensive for labor alone as well... A friend made a set and similarly made are selling for 1000$

As well there are options, you can get is super crazy where it will get blended & molded to the housing itself, leave the projector 'hanging' in the housing, etc...

Again http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ is your friend for all of your requests!

Best,
Mike

Last edited by 01LEXPL; 07-02-09 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 12:35 AM
bhandsome5
Driver School Candidate

ok so I decided not to go retrofit.. It's to expensive =(
So I found the company that makes HID conversion Kit by helligkeit

I see different ones what is the diff? Which is best? for my 2000 lexus es300 and I want to go 6000k and I want to get one for my fog lights too..

35W HELLIGKEIT Slim HID kit , 35W Premium HELLIGKEIT HID Kit , 35W HELLIGKEIT Xenon/Halogen HID kit , 35W HELLIGKEIT H4/9004/9007/H13 Bi-xenon Kit,

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

Reasons?

GL, post end results,
Mike
Old 07-05-09, 12:00 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Just pickup the kit. All you need to specify/know is, H7 bulbs, 6000k temperature.

That is all!

Fog lights are H3 bulbs, and then whatever color temp you want. *if you want yellow 3000k is the color* And then pure white is 4300k, etc...

Quick Reply: HID Lights