ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 09:30 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool What Would You Do?

What mods would you do to my completely stock ES? Anything done can't be more than a couple hundred dollars (except rims)

I know I want to get my windows tinted, Rims, HID's...

Also, for tail lights. I have seen these on the web and something similar at my auto part store

Are these any good, they seem to be popular.

As for interior, I have seen you guys do many High Intensity LED's and such. I kind of like the warm light look that the stock ones give off, but would you guys recommend it?

I don't really want to get my ES lowered, but out of curiosity, how much skill does a kit require and how much do they cost?

Could someone also please recommend me some Rims. I think my ES is such a hard car to find nice wheels that look good on it.

I don't want to make it look really sporty, I prefer more luxurious factory look. I thought about just getting the same factory OEM wheels, but the chrome ones.

Thanks!

Last edited by Megafast13; 07-07-09 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-07-09, 10:11 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly?
I wouldnt do anything. Just put in aftermarket Navigation touch screen instead of that problematic 6CD changer. This is also a great DIY project. Thats it.

I'd rather put money towards regular maintenance items. Its a great car as it is. Enjoy driving it!
Nice color btw.
Old 07-07-09, 10:39 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlx101
Honestly?
I wouldnt do anything. Just put in aftermarket Navigation touch screen instead of that problematic 6CD changer. This is also a great DIY project. Thats it.

I'd rather put money towards regular maintenance items. Its a great car as it is. Enjoy driving it!
Nice color btw.
Hey thanks for the response, can I have a link to the right nav system for my ES.

I have a tomtom unit on my windshield already, but if you think the built in is a better look...
Old 07-07-09, 11:02 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Does yours not have the OEM HID projector headlamps? I would recommend getting those, as we all know OEM > all PNP HID kits. Assuming you can source a set?

Those LEDs are garbage, i suggest just getting SMD led's bulbs if you must. [They are the big sized LED] One more thing to bear in mind is that LEDs pull in less current so you may or may not have to deal with the 'lights out' icon on your cluster.... I have yet to do this conversion on my '01, but again it is the one thing i do not want to deal with. **a friend bought a set for his Audi and he has the icon going off at all times as they are rated at less than stock bulbs**

What else do i tell you? Well look around in the classifieds close to your area. You can always find a steal of a deal on there and maybe local forums [like altogether, not different chapters of Clublexus]. I have found both sets of rims for my ride for cheap, a little patience is all you need. Oh and the OEM ones you have now can make a great winter set, assuming you are located somewhere where it snows.

In terms of styles, i would go AT LEAST an 18" on that body style as they are huge wheel wells. I personally would go with a dished, maybe even staggered look on that car in 18" in polished/chrome finish. The other choice being just silver.

Your sidemarkers, smoke them. Get some lamin-x or 'smoke film' off eBay and do that. For some reason, IMO, they do not flow with the car at all, they just stand out and look so bleh.

Get some HIDs or nice bulbs as your fogs, i am biased towards the JDM look with Yellow, but a clear & crisp white is always good for visibility.

I do not know what else to tell you. I would suggest getting a nice chrome exhaust tip, maybe larger diameter than stock, to really set off the back end [thats what i have, well previous owner did]

Best of luck,
Mike
Old 07-07-09, 12:01 PM
Sltwtrking
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N air filter (Part#33-2260) - $45.00. It's a simple upgrade and adds consistency to the powerband.

For wheels, I would go 18" chrome. I'm a big fan of TSW wheels. I would look into the Croft.

Last edited by Sltwtrking; 07-07-09 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 12:29 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

My Lexus has the standard halogen housings.

I have done some research and found aftermarket ones from

http://www.1aauto.com/

I already purchased replacement headlights from that site for other cars...

I also saw Original Headlight Housings on eBay Motors as well.

As for the JDM Foglights, I kind of like the look as well. Do they require a kit like HID's or are they just Plug Ins

Can I have a link to a good HID Kit for the actual headlights and one for the foglights
Old 07-07-09, 04:21 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Megafast13
My Lexus has the standard halogen housings.

I have done some research and found aftermarket ones from

http://www.1aauto.com/

I already purchased replacement headlights from that site for other cars...

I also saw Original Headlight Housings on eBay Motors as well.

As for the JDM Foglights, I kind of like the look as well. Do they require a kit like HID's or are they just Plug Ins

Can I have a link to a good HID Kit for the actual headlights and one for the foglights
I got bulbs in mine, as temp. solution, until i go all out. Next year i will go HID for sure!

THE BEST HID KITS:

I'm serious, DO NOT BOTHER WITH ANYTHING ELSE!

i have expressed my opinion on these kits on here more than once, and time and time again people agree, they are as 'cheap' as the Chinese no name kits but difference being the construction and durability of the product! With the company actually backing their products, which is a rare find in the modern world
Old 07-09-09, 10:58 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sltwtrking
K&N air filter (Part#33-2260) - $45.00. It's a simple upgrade and adds consistency to the powerband.

For wheels, I would go 18" chrome. I'm a big fan of TSW wheels. I would look into the Croft.
Thanks for the picture.

I like this TSW Vortex Chrome wheel

http://www.tsw.com/img/vortex_chrome...arge_white.jpg
Old 07-10-09, 06:19 AM
jem1660
Driver School Candidate

Are these applicable for the 02-06 model ES, or do they already come with HID type beams? Reason I'm asking, is that I'm seeing most folks are putting them on the 90's/2000 ES.

Thanks

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I got bulbs in mine, as temp. solution, until i go all out. Next year i will go HID for sure!

THE BEST HID KITS:

I'm serious, DO NOT BOTHER WITH ANYTHING ELSE!

i have expressed my opinion on these kits on here more than once, and time and time again people agree, they are as 'cheap' as the Chinese no name kits but difference being the construction and durability of the product! With the company actually backing their products, which is a rare find in the modern world
Old 07-10-09, 07:26 AM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Thanks for the picture.

I like this TSW Vortex Chrome wheel

http://www.tsw.com/img/vortex_chrome...arge_white.jpg
i have those in alloy for sale if you'd like :P
Old 07-10-09, 10:44 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jem1660
Are these applicable for the 02-06 model ES, or do they already come with HID type beams? Reason I'm asking, is that I'm seeing most folks are putting them on the 90's/2000 ES.

Thanks
Yes. Yes they are. You simply have to look at getting the appropriate wattage and bulb size/type for that application.

Upon finishing installing, aim you headlights properly.
Old 07-13-09, 08:10 AM
heorung
Driver

Dude..... you dont ask for much.
Depends on how much $$$ u got and what a nice ride mean to you?

Personally, im happy with tint windows / some nice wheels / abit of improved handling and a good stereo to pump out sweet tunes while cruisin. That it.... im a simple man.

Whatever you decide... mod it out for YOU to suit your taste. Good luck.
Old 07-13-09, 08:45 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101
Honestly?

Nice color btw.
+1 on putting money towards regular maintenance, just do the rims and window tint, the rest is expensive and after awhile you'll kick yourself for spending too much money