ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

stereo question!!! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 06:43 PM
R-2-the-J
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo question!!! PLEASE HELP

so i have been lookin at subs and amps but decided i rather just upgrade the factory speakers for now then subs later..

i heard that my 94 es300 has a factory amp in it but were would i find this and what exactly can i do bout it to get replacements?? would i want to just keep the amp running my new speakers (probably pioneer's or infinity's) or do i need to bypass it somehow??

and last: what size are my door and rear stock speakers for direct replacement??
Old 07-12-09, 06:51 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll find the amp under the front passenger seat. Not sure how to answer your other amp-related questions. The size of your front door speakers is 6.5 inches and the rear speakers are 6 inches x 9 inches.
Old 07-12-09, 06:57 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

This is easily found with the search tool or with sites like Crutchfield.com, which provides the following info for my '92 (go ahead to the site and put in info for your '94 just to double-check):
Factory replacement info:
  • In-dash stereo
    • 7-3/8" depth;
    • Size code DD,E
  • Front speakers
    • Front Door: 6-1/2"
  • Rear speakers
    • Rear Deck: 6x9"
The OEM amplifier is located under the passenger seat.
You keep the OEM amplifier if you're wanting the easy, less expensive upgrade of replacing only the OEM speakers, plus you get to keep your stock headunit. It's like a "Stage I" stereo upgrade.

Moving on to Stage II might be something like replacing the headunit, leaving it connected (via a line level converter) to the OEM amplifier, to the upgraded speakers.

Stage III - Aftermarket head unit, aftermarket amp (bypass/remove the OEM amp), aftermarket speakers

Stage IV - Stage III + Subwoofers

...and so on.

It all depends on the money you want to spend on parts/labor, and the sound quality/volume you want to achieve. Crutchfield is a great place to shop online and get specs and accessories.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project! Take pics along the way, log what you're doing and help us keep up with your work.
Old 07-12-09, 08:08 PM
R-2-the-J
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys.... i think i will just go ahead and replace the oem speakers witht the pioneers for now and leave the stock amp.. then later on i might get subs too.. i guess i will see how much the new speakers improve the **** stock speakers.. ya think lexus would come with a bose system lol... i wish
Old 07-12-09, 09:34 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, Bose is REALLY overrated and overpriced, but what they definitely excel at is their advertising. Few companies compare when it comes to the money spent on hyping a comparatively inferior product. But to each their own...
Old 07-12-09, 10:33 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by R-2-the-J
i think i will just go ahead and replace the oem speakers witht the pioneers for now and leave the stock amp..
Don't do that, Most of the stock speakers ARE pioneers Go to your local Best Buy where they should have a wall of sound where you can compare speakers for yourself based on what you want to hear. Along with price comparisons.
Old 07-13-09, 10:15 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i replaced 6.5 in front doors (also got pioneers) on '95 and it was pretty straight forward, just dont break plastic door clips and that triangle thingy by the side mirror!
i was surprised how much better low end pioneer sounds compared to stock speakers.
Old 07-14-09, 08:21 PM
PeterR1
Rookie

Yeah, well if you replace a 15 year old speaker with an identical new speaker, you'll get improved sound. They do deteriorate, especially considering what they're exposed to in an automobile. I just replaced a front window motor and man, the door speaker cone was brittle and the tweeter wanted to crumble. (96ES with half its life in S. CA and half in NYC)