ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

day time running light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 10:25 PM
VIP-NOT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default day time running light

is there a way to have it off while driving?
i like having daytime light, but sometimes i need it off
is there a way to run a switch to turn it on and off?
car is a 3es, thanks in advance

Last edited by VIP-NOT; 07-28-09 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 08:10 AM
zajac
Driver

The way I did it was just to unplug one of them and they both shut off. The only downside is, no high beams.
Old 07-27-09, 08:39 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

**off topic**

you have airbags? I WANT TO SEE!
Old 07-27-09, 08:59 PM
VIP-NOT
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
**off topic**

you have airbags? I WANT TO SEE!
yeah i just got it, but i didnt take any pics yet

Originally Posted by zajac
The way I did it was just to unplug one of them and they both shut off. The only downside is, no high beams.

but back to topic
i dont want to unplug the bulbs

Last edited by VIP-NOT; 07-28-09 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 09:05 PM
lexluva
Rookie

Why is it that alot of people dont like the DRL? I personally like them. I have 1997 es300 and the drl didnt come with the car. So on cloudy days it maybe easier for other cars to see me if I had drl without turning the headlight which comes on automatically when its dark.

So it may be a little off topic but how can I make my high beams work as DRL, has anyone done it yet because I couldn't find anything other than people that want to get rid of it?
Old 07-27-09, 09:44 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

I cannot understand why people want to disable DRL's. This is one of the greatest safety features that Canada has implemented years before the US. Coming from the Seattle area originally, it makes oncoming traffic on narrow two lane roads more visible from a distance. Outside of illegal activities, I don't know why anyone would want them disabled. I am not judging, just curious as to why this would be advantageous to people.
Old 07-27-09, 11:02 PM
zajac
Driver

Originally Posted by tomstep2
I cannot understand why people want to disable DRL's. This is one of the greatest safety features that Canada has implemented years before the US. Coming from the Seattle area originally, it makes oncoming traffic on narrow two lane roads more visible from a distance. Outside of illegal activities, I don't know why anyone would want them disabled. I am not judging, just curious as to why this would be advantageous to people.
I did it because the car looks awesome coming down the road with just the yellow fogs on. In addition, if I want my DRL's it takes less than three seconds to reconnect.
Old 07-27-09, 11:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Not sure how much this will help, but this was from my RX300 (given the similarity of the engines), https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ng-lights.html

see more so on page 2 for some more photos.

DRLs were a rarity for cars when I lived in Mexico and I'd get pulled over sometimes by police wondering why I had my 'lights on', but this eased as more vehicles during my years there came with them.
Old 07-28-09, 12:47 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
DRLs were a rarity for cars when I lived in Mexico and I'd get pulled over sometimes by police wondering why I had my 'lights on', but this eased as more vehicles during my years there came with them.
The police would actually stop you for driving with your lights on during the day?? I wish the police here would stop more people (in older cars w/o DRLs) for NOT driving with their lights on during the day! It irks me when I see some clown driving along on a wet, rainy, dreary day, in the fog no less, with NO lights on! Happens way too often.
Old 07-28-09, 02:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexucan
The police would actually stop you for driving with your lights on during the day?? I wish the police here would stop more people (in older cars w/o DRLs) for NOT driving with their lights on during the day! It irks me when I see some clown driving along on a wet, rainy, dreary day, in the fog no less, with NO lights on! Happens way too often.
Keep in mind that down there for many years, they didn't have vehicles that had DRLs. My cousin's VW Golf had them, but he got his from the U.S. and then nationalized it.

Police would find it kind of odd and pull me over to tell me that my lights were on, but that meant also it gave them a chance to find something 'wrong' and ask for a bribe or mordida as it was called in Spanish. One of the common things was looking at my importation paperwork (which by law only certain types of federal police forces can look at), not local cops. Another one I used to get stopped for was not having a front plate (unlike Mexican plates which are front and back), because Florida doesn't have front plates.

I ended up having to get a judicial order known as constancia to basically say that everything on my vehicle was okay (something I really shouldn't have to do being a foreigner), but that shut them up.
Old 07-28-09, 04:24 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

The following thread documents two ways of disabling the DRL on a 2000 LS400 ... might be similar for your ES ... bet it has a similar DRL relay: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-in-ucf20.html

I've been driving with DRL or headlights on during the day since 1969 when I was forced off a rural two lane highway by an oncoming driver who apparently didn't see my little silver Mercedes SL before he pulled out to pass another oncoming car. About that time, I began reading about the DRL experiments in northern Europe that showed that cars with DRL had fewer crashes.

I suspect that headlights-on and DRL has something to do with my being crash free for 40+ years of driving except for a few people ramming my cars in the back while they were too busy talking on their cell phones to pay attention to driving.

Turn your DRL off if you have to -- DRL is not required in the U.S. so it's your right. I'd sure rather you leave them on.
Old 07-28-09, 10:36 PM
VIP-NOT
Rookie

thanks lexmex and kansas for those suggestions
but is there a way to run a switch to turn it on and off?
i dont want to permanently disable my drl, i just need it off for a few minutes
Old 07-29-09, 07:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VIP-NOT
Not that I am aware of unless there is some mysterious hidden trick (a.k.a. easter egg) hidden from the factory I am not aware of. You'd have to rig up some kind of switch to do something like that.
Old 07-29-09, 07:25 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

Did you read the thread I pointed you to? --> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-in-ucf20.html

If your ES has a DRL relay like the 2000 LS does, you could add a switch at the same wire qewani1 reconnected to get his DRL working again. If I was going to do something like this, I might drill a hole in a panel under the dash and install a very small "push on / push off" switch where it couldn't be seen. I've installed a number of similar switches in cars over the past 40+ years while installing front and rear foglights and all sorts of other wacky accessories.
Old 07-29-09, 10:10 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I gotta know....which spy agency are you working for??

Quick Reply: day time running light